Have to switch to standmounts

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I recently moved to a new apartment which has a smaller living/listening room than previous one. At the previous place my DALI Lektor 6's were brilliant and the bass wasn't clouding the rest of the sound. But now I don't seem to be able to turn up the volume past 9'o'clock before it's "all bass"....sniff... - as stated the room is on the small size, roughly around 3,5 x 3,5 meters (all though it's extended to the kitchen area, but there's a half wall where the stairs to other floor end - virtually drawing an invisible wall that limits my possibilities to set up the living room)

What I want is:
  • Compatible with my Marantz PM8003 - don't really what characterizies this amp compared to others, as it's my first real HIFI amp.
  • Don't want to downgrade to a "lesser model"
  • I listen to a wide range of music. On emphasis on classic rock and acoustic music.
  • A "feel'able" bass if that's possible.
  • max £500-550
I hope you'll have some ideas on what would work here. I live in Greenland where there's practically no dedicated hifi retailer. Only stumpled upon the letkor 6's when the electronics shop had them in store. Now they only have speakers even bigger than them.

cheers.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. Don't know why but I don't feel like adjusting the controls - heck, I haven't even tried since I moved in. tsk. "Source direct" all the time. Seems like this wasn't that well thought out. But then again it would make me think that I'm not using the speakers to their fullest - or meddling with the source

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Well if you really want to splash the cash then you can't do a lot better than the EB1 which has been mentioned and in budget.

Obviously Source Direct is a great addition to the Marantz but the tone controls are their to be used, try them you may save yourself a monkey.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Standmounts it is!

spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to make it all sound as rewarding as before. Tone controls - speaker placement. No cigar.
Another thing that came apparent was that the speakers seem to be too close to the other side of the wall where I sit, and I can't sit any further than that.

Any speaker I'll buy will be a gamble since I don't have chance to listen to them beforehand. The EB1's really do look intriguing though. One issue would be the waiting time :( but if it's worth it...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lovstromp:

... One issue would be the waiting time :( but if it's worth it...

Probably only if you're under 50years of age ... Joking aside where are they, haven't heard anything lately?

Didn't a Kef spokesman just mention they used Marantzes 8003 products for some of the development of their new range?

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi again, forumites.

Been playing around with different placements, different tone settings and played different kinds of music the last few days. Maybe learnt more about my amp during the process.

From the off this Marantz - Dali combo has always been very involving when playing quite a broad range of music - though the volume knob has to be past 8 o'clock for the music to become rousing and emotive. And sadly it's between 8 and 9 o'clock setting the floor and the smallish room starts playing along to the bass. When I'm downstairs while the music is on I hear a very profound boom.

When either the volume is below that or the bass knob is below the standard 12 o'clock, it all sounds pretty flat. I wouldn't have imagined what a bad effect it would have on the soundstage. On top of that it doesn't seem to have any decent coherence to it - as if the timing is off.

I really do love what I get from the Marantz - DALI. It's just my concern of how "good" a neighbour I must be whenever I play music in way that I get into the music. I only hope that which standmounts I eventually end up getting would still give this kind of experience when listening to music. I will decide at the end of the month. I have looked at the suggestions and what I actually can get shipped up here. Right now it's a toss up between the EB1's and MA RX1 and B&W685.

And how happy am I to have found WhatHIFI and it's forums!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
lovstromp:
Hi again, forumites.

Been playing around with different placements, different tone settings and played different kinds of music the last few days. Maybe learnt more about my amp during the process.

From the off this Marantz - Dali combo has always been very involving when playing quite a broad range of music - though the volume knob has to be past 8 o'clock for the music to become rousing and emotive. And sadly it's between 8 and 9 o'clock setting the floor and the smallish room starts playing along to the bass. When I'm downstairs while the music is on I hear a very profound boom.

When either the volume is below that or the bass knob is below the standard 12 o'clock, it all sounds pretty flat. I wouldn't have imagined what a bad effect it would have on the soundstage. On top of that it doesn't seem to have any decent coherence to it - as if the timing is off.

I really do love what I get from the Marantz - DALI. It's just my concern of how "good" a neighbour I must be whenever I play music in way that I get into the music. I only hope that which standmounts I eventually end up getting would still give this kind of experience when listening to music. I will decide at the end of the month. I have looked at the suggestions and what I actually can get shipped up here. Right now it's a toss up between the EB1's and MA RX1 and B&W685.

And how happy am I to have found WhatHIFI and it's forums!

Also look out for AVI Neutron IV or V.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the What hifi review of the pm8003 is spot on. I auditioned it and thought it had good bass (good extension as well as solidity) but lacked a bit of detail. It does work quite nicely with the 685s, but considering the size of your room it may get a bit boomy.

I have the 685s with a leaner amp in a living room that is 4 x 3.5 that opens onto my kitchen, and the 685s still tend to boom a bit and need quite some distance from the wall. It might be because of my oddly shaped ceiling which is low in parts, or maybe just that I tend to prefer a leaner more detailed sound, but I'd be concerned that the 685s might boom a bit in your room as well.

A

Anonymous

I think it could be worth saving a bit more money for a while and having a go at the Dali Mentor Menuet. I think they are outstanding in design and sound quality. Even though they are so small they produce a beautiful bass sound. That feel able bass sound which you get with a lot of Dali speakers. I have heard them loads but they are out of my price range. I was in a retailer in england and a bloke walked out with the Dali's after auditioning them against the spendor 6 's. ok there is a big price difference between the two. but the Dali's held their own. They also sound really great with acoustic music which you say you like......

any way just a thought.....

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Thought I'd put in a little update in here. Just sold the Lektors for approx. £340. Wasn't sure I'd get a better offer if I waited any longer.

Anyway, this is bound to force me to get some standmounts sooner rather than later right? - I feel amputated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts