Have projectors matured?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Last time I looked into projectors was about 6 years ago and the situation was that 1080p ones were too expensive (several grand minimum). But how it is now?

What sort of money do I need these days to get a high-quality full HD very bright projector with perfect colours and smooth motion?

Have projectors reached the stage where with several brands top-class performance is achieved for little money like e.g. with bluray players now?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I think that you will find that projectors like any audio visual product in a competitive industry have become cheaper on the whole, that being said the good stuff is never cheap and a decent one still goes for quite a bit of money. Its not like Blueray players where you can drop 80 pounds and be very satisfied, really cheap projectors do look shite! However bulb life has increased with the advent of LED projectors, I've seen ones with 30-60 thousand hours by samsung! Hope this helps.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Last time I looked into projectors was about 6 years ago and the situation was that 1080p ones were too expensive (several grand minimum). But how it is now? What sort of money do I need these days to get a high-quality full HD very bright projector with perfect colours and smooth motion? Have projectors reached the stage where with several brands top-class performance is achieved for little money like e.g. with bluray players now?

You still have to have deep pockets for top end PJs with the likes of SIM2 C3X LUMIS 3D-S COSTING £30,000! But for normal folk like us you can now obtain very good results on a much more sensible budget. I until recently found all afordible PJs either had a washed out image or were more suited to a fully darkened room.

I have just gone for a Epson EH-TW600W and find it is nice and bright at 2200 and has a very acomidating throw ratio and I've easily managed a 100" at a distance of 3.5m. The colour reproduction was very good out of the box as to was the greyscale and for a LCD PJ I personally find it handles motion very well given its sub £2000 price tag. The bulb life is also good at around 4000-5000 hours in ECO mode.

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
i bought a HW30es which has recently been updated with transmitter built in etc. if you are interested i think its perfect i love it part of claires war with tvs she convinced me and now i love projectors (as long as you are in a dark room).

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Sony HW15, and even though it is a couple of years old now, it is so quiet that even very close to our ears (just behind our heads) we don't notice any noise.

Sure, maybe not as bright as the latest models, but very easy viewing - projectors provide such a great experience that is so much better (when combined with good surround sound) than the local Odeon. And you can drink wine while you watch!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts