Have I bought the wrong HDMI cables?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having just got all my kit either bought or on order, I set about getting some HDMI cables. Not knowing how much to believe the hype about massively expensive cables, but also not wanting to waste money on really cheapo one's either, I decided on the QED Performance HDMI that got 5 stars in this year's awards. I searched around and got confused over the name changes from Qunex to Performance, but just figured eventually that they were the same. So I found what seemed like a really good deal at play.com (link below) at £17.99 for the 1m version and promptly ordered 3 (BD->amp, SkyHD->amp, amp->tv). They've been despatched so there's no cancelling them now but I just read in the product information further down that page the following:

"QED's QUNEX HDMI-P cables are fully compliant with the version 1.0 of the HDMI specification."

So now I'm worried I've bought different cables than the one's I was hoping for (the QED Performance HDMI) and even worse, that they aren't even compliant with 1.3a or 1080p. Have I got completely the wrong end of the stick here? I started the week thinking that a digital cable was a digital cable!

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/610861/QED-Qunex-HDMI-to-HDMI-Cable/Product.html

------------------------------

Panasonic TH42PZ81B, Panasonic DMP-BD35, SkyHD, Yamaha DSP 863-ES, Q-Acoustics 1000i package.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries - everything you buy over the internet is covered by a 7 day cooling off period, so you are within your rights to return it to play.com for a refund following their return policy (though you will be liable for postage charges).
However, if you contact them about it and say you ordered the wrong thing, they may well be nice and replace it for you free of charge. It's worth a go.
EDIT - By the way, I think the only one you need to be 1.3 compliant is the cable between the Blu-Ray player and the amp if you're intending to bitstream the HD audio formats over the HDMI cable? I'm pretty sure the cables will be fine for passing the picture signals from Sky HD to the amp and then from the amp to the TV.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm using the HDMI-P between Blu-Ray & Amp and I don't have any probs. (My TV is only 720p though, so not sure if I'll run into probs when I upgrade my TV in years to come).

Sound-wise, it handles all the formats up to DTS: HD MAster Audio 7.1 without any problems.

A

Anonymous

Im using a cheapy Hdmi 1.0 lead inbetween my blu ray player and onkyo amp with zero problems and thats full 1080p with bitstream audio! When you get your lead give it a go...if it doesnt work send it back

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I have the same QED HDMI cables between my various components and they work perfectly. ÿDon't worry! ÿIt was only a name change by QED anyway - no significant change of spec.

A

Anonymous

Okay, I've just realised that I'm in the same boat as you.

I spotted the same 'bargain' and just assumed this was the new QED HDMI-P. Its due to be delivered in the next day or two from play.com and I'm now wondering if this will work with my set-up (Onkyo 876 -> Sony 40w4500).

What is the difference between 1.0 and 1.3? Can they both still handle a 1080p signal as well as the latest QED offering (which I believe is 1.3)?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ketch:Okay, I've just realised that I'm in the same boat as you.

I spotted the same 'bargain' and just assumed this was the new QED HDMI-P. Its due to be delivered in the next day or two from play.com and I'm now wondering if this will work with my set-up (Onkyo 876 -> Sony 40w4500).

What is the difference between 1.0 and 1.3? Can they both still handle a 1080p signal as well as the latest QED offering (which I believe is 1.3)?

Don't worry, the old QED hdmi-P is 1.3a. The newer model that came out a couple of months ago is just a newer version. The old one that you have ordered was an award winner with the mag. This is the review of the older version (the one that you have ordered at a shorter length) and the mag has reviewed the newer version too which £50 for 1m.

http://whathifi.com/Review/QED-Qunex-HDMI-P-5M/Specs/

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Ketch:Okay, I've just realised that I'm in the same boat as you.

Don't worry, the old QED hdmi-P is 1.3a. The newer model that came out a couple of months ago is just a newer version. The old one that you have ordered was an award winner with the mag. This is the review of the older version (the one that you have ordered at a shorter length) and the mag has reviewed the newer version too which £50 for 1m.

Nice one Gerrard.

So, am I right in saying that the quote above from play.com's website stating that this cable is 1.0 compliant is inaccurate and that they are just trying to wind me up? :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ketch:Gerrardasnails:Ketch:Okay, I've just realised that I'm in the same boat as you.

Nice one Gerrard.

So, am I right in saying that the quote above from play.com's website stating that this cable is 1.0 compliant is inaccurate and that they are just trying to wind me up? :)

Classic example of selling out of their expertise and not knowing the product. The cable you have ordered won awards a plenty and that price is a ridiculous one. They were £50 everywhere 2 years ago and you couldn't get deals on them.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I suspect the slight confusion (as well as the discount) is due to QED renaming the HDMI-P the HDMI Performance: new name; new packaging... Plus they've got some new HDMI cables due in early 2009, so i'm guessing they've old stock to clear.

Either way, it's a great cable and a great deal.

A

Anonymous

After a quick email exchange with someone at QED, they have assured me that Play.com are an authorised dealer for their products and what I've bought is a genuine HDMI-P. So it looks like the panic is over and QED have won some points in the customer services column!
emotion-2.gif
Thanks all here too as you all came to the same conclusion!

A

Anonymous

jonotheone, you will be ok using this hdmi cable but if you would like more info, visit this website, its where i get my HDMI cables from and they are superb. you can buy them on Amazon and they also have a section on EBAY.

their website is http://hdcable.co.uk/

hppe this helps.............Kev
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Just visited the website and the spec of their top cable reads very highly, i just wonder if they are really as good as others costing 4 times more...

Cheers

A

Anonymous

The HDMI that I was referring too is their Platinum cable v1.3b 1080p compliant,10.2Gbps banwidth. This sells for £29.99 per 5metre length. I wonder if anyone has any views of it being compared to the QED Qunex HDMI-SR which is now selling for similar money on Planet gizmo website.

Just a thought though can anyone explain regarding a refresh rate of 120 Hz for the Platinum cable.The point is I am considering purchasing the Sony 46Z4500 which is 200hz.

Will this cable work to the Sony's potential or am I having a Homer moment...Sorry I'm fairly new to this..
emotion-43.gif

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
jonotheone, I've got those very same cables across my whole system and they're excellent. You'll have absolutely no problems. Now that you've flagged that bargain, I might pick a couple more to have spare.

A

Anonymous

johnnymunro

johnnymunro, these platinum cables are superb quality and i have them feeding my telly and onkyo. when i showed them to the IT expert at work, he was so impressed with the quality that he went and ordered 4 of them for all of his gear, and he really is into top end stuff. he reckons they are the dogs B***s.

i have just bought the 3 metre pro version for my sons new xbox, which is a christmas pressie that he dont know about yet!!

they obviosly know what they are talking about judging by their website and i have no hesitation recommending them to anyone. for quick service, AMAZON do them. hope this helps........Kev

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts