Have any of you tried making your own DIY turntable?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
There are quite a few turntable/vinyl lovers on the forum.

Have any of you tried making your own DIY turntable? More than just a simple mod or tweak, something like these turntables for example:

http://tattooartistmagazineblog.com/2012/03/16/jeremy-justice-tattoos-how-to-build-your-own-record-player-tam-tamblog-tattoo-artist-magazine-blog/

That looks pretty ambitious, but I'm sure with a well-enough-equipped workshop it would be possible. Think I'd stick to tuning/modifiying after someone else had done all the 'heavy lifting'

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I made one including tonearm during my engineering apprentiship.

It worked quite well from what i recall.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
That looks pretty ambitious, but I'm sure with a well-enough-equipped workshop it would be possible. Think I'd stick to tuning/modifiying after someone else had done all the 'heavy lifting'

That would undoubtedly be the easier option.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
That would undoubtedly be the easier option.

Just seems to me all the machining of platters and things is a bit like making your own pastry - very satisfying and all that, but pretty pointless when there are people able to mass-produce it to a very high standard at a reasonable cost.

Surely best to take a good basis such a used model or something simple like a Pro-ject, and work out the most cost-effective ways of 'adding value'

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I always liked the ones with a golf ball swimming in a cup.

rear-tone-arm-lp-28ci9151.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts