Has Merlin Cable Gone Out of Business

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I ordered a pair of Merlin Mozart interconnects on February 2, 2010. I was told that due to delays in production I would not receive the cables before mid-March. I then sent an E-mail to the salesperson in mid-March asking when they would be shipped. Seven weeks ago the salesperson replied that it would be another week before the cables would be shipped. I started calling them last week to see if I could get an ETA. I only got an answering machine (during UK business hours). I sent another E-mail to the salesperson last week - no reply. I used Merlin's Webpage to send a missive to them but received no reply. Does anyone know if they're still trading?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's a mighty strong suggestion for a first-time poster!

Certainly no indication of issues at Merlin as far as we know - other than their failure to communicate re your order, obviously. We'll get in touch with them and see if we can pursue your order....

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
That's a mighty strong suggestion for a first-time poster!

Certainly no indication of issues at Merlin as far as we know - other than their failure to communicate re your order, obviously. We'll get in touch with them and see if we can pursue your order....

I think the OP has asked perfectly valid question, regardless of whether he is a first time poster or not. If the OP's experience is anything to go by, I certainly wouldn't deal with Merlin.

I would cancel the order immediately!

A

Anonymous

You only get one chance to make a first impression (good or bad) so I agree with SonofSun.

I too would cancel and not recommend others to deal with them if asked !

A

Anonymous

to be honest if merlins customer service is as poor as the op says im surprised theyre still in business ..

A

Anonymous

yes sonofson i fully agree with you this post may just
be frustation on the posters, thoughts of not being able to do
anything about his order with merlin,
and joined what hifi forum for some answers
as he has had some broken promises, allegedly from merlin,
its wrong to assume just because a person is first time poster
that something is not write about his posting.
ps it will not be the first time
a company has going to the wall and wont be the last.
hopefully everything is ok with merlin

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
It would be great shame if Merlin were to go out of business.

Having purchased a pair of Chopins from them in March, I think it was, I had no problems and even exchanged a couple of friendly and helpful emails. The cables are mighty fine, too.
emotion-21.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
just to add a balance have dealt with them a number of times (something like 10) and never had an issue - even contacted them to make me something they didn't stock and they couldn't have been more helpful - hope they are ok!

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:

just to add a balance have dealt with them a number of times (something like 10) and never had an issue - even contacted them to make me something they didn't stock and they couldn't have been more helpful - hope they are ok!

Me too; always had a great service so hope all is ok.

Currently listening to: Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

Messiah

Always had great service too.

However, the OP hasn't. I would assume they are really busy at the mo but they should still try and respond to queries.

Lets see how WHF get on with their query...

A

Anonymous

Don't worry they're still in business - was chatting with John Harrison from Merlin via email last week. This I initiated from the 'contact us' bit of their website. From what I understand they keep on getting let down by their materials supplier for some of the Mozart, C6 and C12 parts and are now over-run with orders.

For what it's worth - they were very apologetic for the delay to my new 'Bach' so threw in some free cable treatments / removed the postal costs and we made a good deal for a future upgrade I had been planning. So I will be continuing to order from them in the future (won't be expecting a rapid delivery though).

Their website states they hope to be getting Mozart orders out now, so I hope you get yours soon if you are prepared to keep the order.

A

Anonymous

i think its an exellent first post and merlin should tell the truth instead of telling the guy "another week" pull your finger out merlin you have had the guys cash

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Right, just had a long chat with Paul at Merlin and for the record they're definitely still in business.

They did have a supply problem earlier in the year, which meant they were out of stock for a month, which led to some difficulties, but Paul assures me this has now been resolved.

Merlin is about to appoint Futureshop as its main online distributor, selling standard 1m length cables, but custom lengths will still have to be made to order, which will take longer.

Re the OP, Texascowboy, he's based in the US and I'm told his cable was despatched a month ago, but obviously hasn't arrived. Paul at Merlin says he'll send him another one immediately, and plans to call him later today to confirm this.

A

Anonymous

Hi Texascowboy,

My name is Paul and I am the owner of Merlin Cables. I would like to apologise that you have not received the high level of service we try to provide to all of our customers. We have had some issues with stock availably and communication over the last couple of months but have managed to ramp up supply and production to meet demand and have cleared the back orders and Futureshop have been appointed as sole internet distributors of Merlin Cables and will hold the most popular lengths of the best sellers in stock for immediate dispatch. They have a dedicated team of sales professionals ready to help you.

I have personally dispatched a replacement cable out to you today.

If anyone is experiencing any supply issues or has any questions at all please address them to me personally.

Thank you.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Paul. Can you put your full name and company name in your signature please, as per the House Rules, just so it's clear who you are.

A

Anonymous

Hey nice touch Paul and glad your still in buisness lol but keeping the customer up to date on despatch ( by e mail?) would be a good move. This guy got the wrong info from your company ?

A

Anonymous

I would like to thank everyone for all your responses. I particularly thank Andy Clough for following up on my issue. I also appreciate Paul Usher for his E-mail, for posting on this forum, and above all for sending me the cable again. I just
wanted to clarify that until March I had good communication with John Harrison from Merlin. For such a small purchase he wrote me four E-mails this year.
Somehow there was no communication in April and May, perhaps because their record showed that the cables have already been shipped.

Clare, my post was perhaps sensational. However, an online
business has no storefront and as such the only way a customer communicates with them are through phone, E-mail and Web submissions. I failed to get any response using any of these methods. That is why I posted here.
I appreciate your help.

Some had suggested that I cancel the order. If I wanted my money back I could contact Paypal. However, my reasoning is that if there is such a wait for a product then it must be good. It is like in
communist Soviet Union where people would stand in a queue without knowing what was being sold. They reasoned that it must be something worthwhile otherwise people would not stand in line.

The best speakers I ever heard were Magnepan speakers at a dealer (I don't know the model number).
Several years later my wife put a deposit on a pair of Magnepan 3.6s. At that time there was a six-month wait. I could not wait that long and instead bought a pair of French speakers (sight unseen, sound unheard) which had received all sorts of French Audio Magazine awards - Grand Prix this and that. A big disappointment! I should have waited six months for the Magnepans. From now on if I buy anything I will just buy products which have a long waiting line like the EB Acoustics
or Merlin Mozart.

denontillidie

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
no such luck here i am afraid.

My cable was supposed to have been sent out on tuesday by first class recorded mail. It is now friday and have not recieved anything, not even an email.

Have tried to phone them and send them emails but no reponse, i cant even cancel the thing so that i am free to order from futureshop.

They suck badly
emotion-12.gif

Rob

A

Anonymous

I received my Merlin Mozart Cables last night. They were sent by registered mail on May 7 and I received it on May 13 in the US. Thanks again for everyone's concern and help.

TRENDING THREADS