Harmon Kardon HK980 amplifier

T

the record spot

Like the look of this amp - seems to have an impressive technical spec; has anyone - staff or otherwise - had a listen by any chance? Currently in Richer Sounds for £249.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes I've heard it.powerfull but very safe sounding.seems to round up every imperfection on the recordings.not much treble information.voices sound good.

T

the record spot

OK thanks - so, not particularly revealing? A bit woolly/warm sounding in other words?

A

Anonymous

The manager of richer sounds in my town told me its a bit rubbish. He told me to hold on a week or so and have a look at the new CA amp that was about to come out. I was impressed by it till i had a listen to it. Got a new combo of audiolab 8000s and 8000p now. much much better...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
not sure about the wooly..it sounds safe.kind like removed all the "noise" from music but just left the essencial information.I really cant compare to anything else other than harman av amps. it sounds the same

A

Anonymous

ear... it sounds just too normal, like theres nowt to it really. One to avoid and carry on looking..

A

Anonymous

reggaedave:ear... it sounds just too normal, like theres nowt to it really. One to avoid and carry on looking..

Too normal, as in strictly neutral, doesn't colour the sound, doesn't add slam, isn't too forward? Sounds the ideal HiFi amp to me
emotion-1.gif

Apparently the model up, the HK 990 is very good, but is thrice the price.

T

the record spot

A bit of background reading tells me the 990, as Tarquinh says, is apparently rather good, however, at nearly £1000, that's off the radar for me. Not so the HK6550, or HK680 from a few years back however. Apparently superb and very highly rated in their day. Still actively sought out in some quarters too. I've also seen a Meridian 551.

Just finding my current set-up is starting to niggle a little; mostly being as neutral as it is (well, I think so), so very revealing with great recordings (a good thing!), but just revealing (read unforgiving) of poorer recordings too. Hence, I think, why I'm delighted with well mastered discs and it sounds great, but less than overwhelmed with a lot of other material.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
For the money the HK is a very capable amplifier. We have both the 980 and 990 here and they both impress. The 980 is very well built and a great deal of power that gives it a good strong sound. It is certianly not dull and is more in keeping with faster sounding amplifiers like Rotel.

It may not be to your taste but I would suggest that it is certainly worth a listen.

The 990 is another ball game altogether.

Nick

T

the record spot

OK thanks for that - I had come across some good words re: the 980 and I hear the internal build is pretty high spec for the price too.

So, Meridian 551, HK 980, both availble for less than £300.... (rummages around for more)...

T

the record spot

TheHomeCinemaCentre:
The 551 is a great amplifier and very different to the Harman. Can you get a home loan of the 551 as your speakers will play a very important role in how good it sounds.

Nick

Hi Nick - I probably could as it happens, however, I think that Mrs. R_S might have something to say about that. Equally, I just got some holiday pay forwarded to me - about 3 weeks worth, which would cover the cost pretty much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts