Harman/Kardon HD 990 cd-player

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matthew. Could you please tell me what magazine is that? HD 990 costs only half the price of Rega Apollo here in Sweden.

A

Anonymous

Audioholic:Hi-Fi world, yep that 'other' mag

Thanks. How positive was that review? How many globes did the player get?

A

Anonymous

Bought the HD 990 few weeks ago. Very pleased with it, it's an extremely neutral sounding player, and pretty versatile with its digital input. One of the useful 'features' is the possibility to connect them balanced.

To put things into perspective: the only thing I expect from excellent equipment is honesty, nothing more nothing less. I once made the mistake to buy a CD player with tubed output stage. Although pleasing for some CD's, overall the results were like putting a curtain between the music and the listener when comparing directly to the HD990.

If honesty is what you're after, imho you can't go wrong with this player. Don't believe reviews, many of them make you believe that more expensive, more exotic, more character (read distortion) is better. Don't take my word but listen yourself, if possible in a blind set up so you don't get fooled by the looks.

The lows: it's not the fastest machine around (in terms of time it takes to play the first note), and error correction is worse than marantz and an old philips I compared it with.

Hope it helps a bit and happy listening

/*

A

Anonymous

deehbeeh:

Bought the HD 990 few weeks ago. Very pleased with it, it's an extremely neutral sounding player, and pretty versatile with its digital input. One of the useful 'features' is the possibility to connect them balanced.

To put things into perspective: the only thing I expect from excellent equipment is honesty, nothing more nothing less. I once made the mistake to buy a CD player with tubed output stage. Although pleasing for some CD's, overall the results were like putting a curtain between the music and the listener when comparing directly to the HD990.

If honesty is what you're after, imho you can't go wrong with this player. Don't believe reviews, many of them make you believe that more expensive, more exotic, more character (read distortion) is better. Don't take my word but listen yourself, if possible in a blind set up so you don't get fooled by the looks.

The lows: it's not the fastest machine around (in terms of time it takes to play the first note), and error correction is worse than marantz and an old philips I compared it with.

Thanks for your answer. I have also bought this cd-player and I am very satisfied with its features and how it sounds.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the player and matching amplifier received a glowing review in another mag recently as mentioned elsewher. Just looked the amp up and on paper looks fantastic value for money, as does the player.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:

If I'm not mistaken, the player and matching amplifier received a glowing review in another mag recently as mentioned elsewher. Just looked the amp up and on paper looks fantastic value for money, as does the player.

It would be really nice to know what mag you are talking about
emotion-2.gif

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
sorry for not getting back to you szoze - in answer to ur previous question about what rating the HK cd player and amp got, they both got 5 globes and were highly recommended. I don't actually remember everything said but they were saying that those who usually limit themselves to listening to the more traditional hifi brands it was well worth considering.

A

Anonymous

Audioholic:sorry for not getting back to you szoze - in answer to ur previous question about what rating the HK cd player and amp got, they both got 5 globes and were highly recommended. I don't actually remember everything said but they were saying that those who usually limit themselves to listening to the more traditional hifi brands it was well worth considering.

Thank you Audioholic. I can imagine that the combination HK990/HD990 is fantastic for the price. They are matched through the HRS-link.

T

the record spot

Just double checked the background to the HD 990, it shares some of the technical content also found in the Cambridge 840C - i.e. same DAC and with balanced XLR inputs. Cost however, is some £300 less and you can get it online and delivered for £399 from some places, including the Home Cinema Centre.

Would be VERY interested to read a review of this as well as the HK980 and HK990 amps. All three look very good VFM and not short on quality input either.

Any chance, etc...?!

A

Anonymous

Any others about this player?

I'm very interested,especially aside vs others players as Marantz cd6003 or Nad c545.

Anyone know if the HD990 can be plugged with the digital output of a BD player for listen better the movie in a stereo (2.0) system?

A

Anonymous

yes you can use it as a dac

edit though you might be better off just buying a dac anyway

A

Anonymous

And what about the HK HD990?

Is better or not than Marantz cd6003 and Nad c545???

Any have heard it?

bemjammin

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I own it and really like the sound it produces. I also use it as a DAC and it sounds exactly the same as playing the cd. (optical out from PC FLAC files.)

i've not heard the marantz or nad but i did demo a £1000 rega appollo (very highly rated cdp) which was ever so slightly better but not a lot in it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have to say these HK products look very interesting. I had a closer look at internal amplifier design the last couple of weeks and have to say Harman Kardons seem to offer rather a lot for the money at their respective price levels. Same for the players. No listening experience of the products here though.

T

the record spot

Since I contributed to this thread in August 2009, I've since heard the HD990 CDP and HK990 amp, both were very impressive. I'd gone to demo some amps at the (pretty damn excellent) Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh over the summer, when my Sansui looked like it might be on its last legs (phew, luckily not!).

One of the strengths of the HD990 player however, and as mentioned elsewhere on this thread, is how it shares much of the technology of the Cambridge 840C but costs significantly less. You can land it now for around £300 if you shop around, but for that you get a cracking little player, balanced XLR inputs, twin-DAC (I think from memory) and a good rich sound that's very nice on the ear.

The amp has around 150wpc, can go up to nearly double that, has some great functionality (room tuning if needed, 2.2 capability, etc) and the duo won a Hi Fi News award in 2009 as a matching set at the £1500 category (as was at full price).

I've no plans to buy another CD player beyond one that allows me some very useful functionality and the HD990 would do this. Certinaly the HD990 does this. YMMV of course, but it's an easy recommendation - seek one out and have a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts