HARMAN KARDON AVR147

shnicks

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Just got this as a present from the wife and wanted to know what sort of speakers would work well with it. I have a large living room and dont watch that many movies

A

Anonymous

It is designed for AV rather than out and out music so it's best used in a 5.1 set-up IMHO. It's got a rated output of 40W per channel AFAIK so there are losts of surround packages that will work with it. Your best bet if one of the experts does not make a suggestion is to ask your local dealer. What sort of budget were you thinking about for speakers?

Buy more music DVD's?

shnicks

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I am not sure how good they are and i suppose i cannot get rid of them as it was given as a present. At the moment, i have got the cambirdge audio A5 amp and JBL studio 10's. I want something with a lot more clarity and my budget for speakers is £300 max.

I really hope i am not asking for too much. cheers

A

Anonymous

I don't think the AVR 147 is going to better your current amp for music. I'd keep your current set-up for music and go for surround sound for the TV / DVD

For £300 you are looking at the likes of the Tannoy SFX 5.1 or the Mordaunt Short Premiere 5.1 set-up. (both availble from Richer Sound) Or the Jamo A102HCS5 You need tp spend £50 -£100 more to get something a bit better.

shnicks

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I have the amp and speakers set up in the living room and wouldnt have the space to play around with. At the moment, i am stuck with the harman kardon so i was looking to sell off what i have got, and look for a speaker system that can give me the best steroe sound.

A

Anonymous

Oh dear. This reminds me of the Irish joke. "I Wouldn't start from here if you want to get there"

The only thing I can suggest is this:

Sell the old gear and add the money to your £300 budget - then buy the best set of 5.1 speakers you can gey for this money. You may find you can live with the quality of music reproduction that you get from the set-up.

Or you might find you can imcorporate your existing speakers as the front pair and just add some rears and a centre (perhaps add a sub-woofer later on). But this can make it tricky to get a sound balance.

shnicks

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Lol,

Nice one...ideally, i would get rid of the harman kardon as i wouldnt want to compromise the quality of my music. just in case i can get rid of the av receiver and the current system i have got, what sort of amp speaker set up would you recommend for £500-£600

A

Anonymous

If you shop around you can easily get the Magazine budget recommendation of a Marantz PM6002 with Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's for this sort of money.

Or the equivalent Rotel amp which a lot of folks swear by.

Or the NAD ampnd and speakers that I use. (see my sig)

Depends on what music you like and the space you have to a large extent. The budget end of the market is crowded with good gear. (and a lot of dogs) so ~£4 spent on the next issue of the mag and a good cup of coffee are your best bet.
emotion-2.gif

You can have hours of fun firstly wearing out the Buyers Guide pages and then posting your chosen combo's on here for further comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts