Hand held recorders - any opinions on playback quality

Pablo68

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
For those with a hand held recorder, for bootlegging concerts or your own band practice, do you have an opinion on how good the sound quality is when played back on your system. I have an old Zoom H2 and am still impressed by the playback through a pretty ordinary hi fi system with Wharfedale bookshelf speakers

jjbomber

Fabolous quality these days. Most now do 24/96 recordings. The most interesting thing is how many bootlegs these days are recorded on these devices but listeners think they are soundboards. I use the Edirol R09-HR. I was asking on another thread about a supertest on these devices.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
U need advice on bootlegging? Dont. End of. Full stop. OK?

Ah...but had you been sat in The Cavern back in the day with your little portable recorder taping some wannabe rock-n-roll band called The Beatles, that tape would now be worth a mint.

jjbomber

Al ears said:
I wasn't aware they had 'little' portable recorders back then Major. :)

Mike Millard, the patron saint of bootlegging, used to go to gigs in a wheelchair so that he could smuggle in his Nakamichi cassette deck. His 'badgeholders' series of recordings of Led Zeppelin in 1977 remain the holy grail.

jjbomber

cheeseboy said:
beleive it or not there's quite a few bands out there who actively encourage their fans to do it....

Jerry Garcia of Grateful Dead was always a great advocate of allowing fan recordings. In the 90s, bands like Page & Plant started selling Tapers section tickets, where you could take in full blown recording stands to concerts. I know Rival Sons allow this in America and will even take equipment in for one particular fan in Chicago. Van Halen sold tapers tickets last year and coined in the extra revenue. I think bands accept these days that fans with mobile phones will be recording the act for youtube, so they are a lot more relaxed. Rather than ban it, they make extra money out of it.

Most bootleg websites will have strict rules on what can and cannot be posted. Generally anything commercially available as a live album rules out an audience version. Some artists do not allow their material to be broadcast at all. The vast majority are quite happy with it. There are also some strange recordings floating about. Recently a 1975 Led Zeppelin concert was released as a soundboard bootleg. It has supposedly been sold by a member of the band to a Japanese bootlegging firm for a very large fee. Whether it is true or not we do not know. It does appear that bootlegging has come full circle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts