Had bad advice - Could do with good advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly as a new member on could I say hello to everyone!!

Here's my problem!!

i'm not advanced in any way when it comes to hi fi but I know when I like the sound of something!!

I had a reasonable set up which sounded ok - NAD 3020e, NAD 4150 tuner and my laptop using Vitual DJ with some MS 25i's and QED anniversary bi wire cable.

Had the decorators in and I think they must have dropped the amp but couldn't prove anything and it started dropping a channel periodically plus had a small dent on the front.

Bought a s/h amp Cambridge Audio A5 which didn't sound anywhere near as powerful as the NAD. This then appears to have blown one of the tweeters and couldn't get another so time for new speakers.

Under advise I bought a pair of mint 1 owner Ruark Tallismans which I was told would be great with the A5 but it sounds cr*p!!

Low end is lacking to say the least and top end is far too tinny. Im currently playing them with bass nearly on full and treble on 1/4

Do I have the NAD repaired or buy another amp or even change the speakers.

I don't have mega money but really need a sound worth listening to again!! The original NAD, MS25i set up sounded loads better than the A5 and Ruark combination. I have a couple of hundred quid available on something s/h now

Or do I sell the lot and start again???

Thanks in advance

Steve

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'd look at the amp before changing the speakers yet again. C.A's stuff tends to be a bit clinical and lacking drive IME.

You could get your 3020 repaired, but it's getting on a bit so perhaps a newer NAD amp or a Rotel would be a better bet?

I used to run QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire which was on the leaner side of neutral. I moved onto my current Atlas cables and noticed an improvement. More natural and balanced but still keeping the detail.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
In theory the A5 and Talisman's should be fine. You don't mention, but have you bi-wired? If so have you done so correctly? Or have you put the cables into the correct set of amp terminals for non-bi-wire operation?

Failing that are the bridges between the Ruark terminals missing (as it sounds like you have got your speaker cables going into the tweeters only, or have put the cables in the wrong amp connectors)? If the bridges (metal plates connecting both sets of terminals on each speaker) are missing then do some diy jumpers with small 4 inch cut offs of your speaker wire. In fact do that anyway, you will get a better sound than using the original metal plates.

In terms of the NAD, getting another s/h one would probably be cheaper than a repair (£40 or £50), but have a look inside the old one to see if there is anything obvious in terms of old soldier that may have broken etc.

jjbomber

If you don't like the sound of the Ruark speakers, then they have to go. Which then brings us on to the conunfrum. You can buy second hand a lot cheaper, but it is normally bought without a listen and with little idea of the history of the product. So you can be very lucky but you can be very unlucky. Buying new will afford you the luxury of a demo, but you pay more. In the middle is ex-demo from a good hi-fi retaillers.

I would certaonly audition the MS Avant 902i to start with, See how that goes with the Cambridge amp and also get a price for fixing the NAD.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the new world of hifi, Thin & lack in bass!! Am not surpirse, Anyone who buys a new amp after a long time, thats the first thing thats mentioned. Thin sounding. Just start all over & go to a good HIFI shop. Ask the retailler for the type of sound ur looking for then take it from there. you can then narrow dwn to the type of sound u want.. Always trust ur own ears. If possible audition at home.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
My advice would be to either get your old amp working again, or buy a replacement NAD. Have the old speakers gone? Definitely not repairable?

Check the connections of your equipment. Other things to consider are second hand MS25i's.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the A5 amp, but the Talismans are very good speakers. They do however require a very good amplifier, and I remember we used to drive them with an Arcam Alpha 10, which just seemed an effortless combination, and we had many hours blasting out the Propellerheads' album Decksanddrumsandrockandroll at rather high volumes - definitely no lack of bass or tinny treble!

A

Anonymous

thanks for all your comments - here's a few answers and more conundrums!!

the system is bi wired correctly with the jumpers removed from the terminals on the speakers.

~I have the 25i's still and the NAD - there's a company up near Ayr that will repair the NAD and update a lot of the internals not much over £100 which is one option!!

I've read quite a bit today and it does appear the Tallismans need a more powerful amp as some of you suggest but are good speakers. The 3020e was a lot more powerful than the A5 but it is getting on a bit.

The Arcam 9 or 10 seems like it may be the answer as they can both be pre amped or bi amped but I haven't read too much about this!!

I'll keep reading and taking advice

cheers

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts