Had a listen to the LS50s today...

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I mentioned on another LS50 related thread that I was going to have a listen to these after some of you chaps suggested speakers could be a better upgrade route than a power amp.

So, the premise behind my trip to my very helpful local Sevenoaks was to take a look at my humming sub. That is now sorted using the RCA connections instead of the speaker inputs. Apparently the hum was due to a different ground loop set up on my Arcam A28 which also appeared exactly the same as a Naim Unite and Arcam A19 which we tested the sub in the store. Anyway, all good now!

So when the Sevenoaks chaps were looking at the sub, I had a listen to Pablo Honey by Radiohead (one of my favourite test discs) on the LS50s with said Arcam A19 and a Rocksan Kandy CDP. Here are MY thoughts -

-Definitely more consistant bass - no boom in the frequency range (a slight irritation I have with my R100s) but stil rich and punchy sounding so +1 to the LS50s

-Sharper treble, not in a bad way, possibly ever so slightly crisper but also a little brittle - I prefer the R100s but I'm calling this a draw as it is just a different presentation

-Soundstage didn't sound as wide as my R100s and things like the ride cymbal on the choruses in Creep didn't seem quite as "in the room" as I am used to. +1 to the R100s

I also had a Listen to a couple of Bad Plus tracks and I didn't like the piano in a couple of places as it just sounded noisy rather than producing a pure tone. +1 R100s

The reason I don't have the LS50s on home demo is down to composure. When listening to a challenging track, especially the end of Stop Listening (lots of layers of distorted guitars, screaming vocals etc etc) they actually sounded a bit muddled ad lacking detail, dare I say, a bit of a mess! +1 R100s.

They do look the part and feel as solid as a rock - they may sound totally different with my amp, in my room but for now, I am happy (ish) to stick with the R100s especially with a score of 3 -1!

:cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem with demos is the room will be different that could account for some of those sounds you heard and also the other gear. I think LS50s need very good amp. maybe the Arcam is not quite upto it. I also found they need plenty of power. I would stick with what you have.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
The reason I don't have the LS50s on home demo is down to composure. When listening to a challenging track, especially the end of Stop Listening (lots of layers of distorted guitars, screaming vocals etc etc) they actually sounded a bit muddled ad lacking detail, dare I say, a bit of a mess! +1 R100s.

:cheers:

That part of the track is a bit of a mess, so perhaps the LS50s are just pulling back the carpet that the R100s have thrown over it?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't say that track sounds a mess, end of. Just sounded a mess on the LS50s in that demo room, on that set up.

For example, Thomas York's scream at the end seemed to just disappear in the mix whereas with my set up at home, you can hear him struggling to hold the scream with a damn sight more clarity.

Perhaps the smaller A19 struggled to unravel the mix?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I found the Kefs to be a bit heavy in the lower midrange and bass could be a bit loose, suppose muddled is a similar thing, they were not for me as I need more sensitive speakers the Kefs did not wake-up until about 11 o'clock, I rather play between 8-9.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
Wouldn't say that track sounds a mess, end of. Just sounded a mess on the LS50s in that demo room, on that set up.

For example, Thomas York's scream at the end seemed to just disappear in the mix whereas with my set up at home, you can hear him struggling to hold the scream with a damn sight more clarity.

Perhaps the smaller A19 struggled to unravel the mix?

Did you not compare your speakers back to back in the demo room with the LS50s? Surely the only way to truly separate them, would be to hear them in the same environment at the very least, ideally your own room.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
No need to do a back to back in the room as I know what my gear is capable of all too well. Not the most scientific but then who said listening to hifi has to be?!

If I had heard performance to rival what I know then absolutely, I would have taken them on a home demo but unfortunately, I was not nearly impressed enough. That said, I may still give them another try because I did enjoy the bass articulation and consistency. Alas, I didn't hear the top end detail or soundstage separation I really enjoy. This time round.

I love the sound of my gear at the moment but being an avid tweaker, I had to scratch that itch and listen to the LS50 if you know what I mean.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
I love the sound of my gear at the moment but being an avid tweaker, I had to scratch that itch and listen to the LS50 if you know what I mean.

I think we all know exactly what you mean. :shifty:

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I think the only way to compare speakers is to hear them in the same room with the same amp - too many variables otherwise. Is the slight boom from your R100s the speakers, or a function of your room?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with others here. You really need to hear the LS50's in your system in your room to be able to properly compare to what youre used to hearing from the R100's. if after that you say you still prefer the R100's, that's fine. But to say that the R100's have better detail retrieval than the LS50's is something I would put down to a different room/different system.

I can better compare products when I have heard them at home in my own system. Everything I hear at work sounds better at home.

Granted some tracks may end up being less listenable on the LS50's due to their more truthful nature, but they will always pull out more detail and coherence when compared with the same system in the same room.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I agree with others here. You really need to hear the LS50's in your system in your room to be able to properly compare to what youre used to hearing from the R100's. if after that you say you still prefer the R100's, that's fine. But to say that the R100's have better detail retrieval than the LS50's is something I would put down to a different room/different system.

I can better compare products when I have heard them at home in my own system. Everything I hear at work sounds better at home.

Granted some tracks may end up being less listenable on the LS50's due to their more truthful nature, but they will always pull out more detail and coherence when compared with the same system in the same room.

I was set up in the same room as when I bought my R100s back in August which were then powered by an old Nad 302 amp! I didn't like the sound of that room then and still don't but I knew after much listening on that occasion that the R100's were for me compared to all sorts of other alternatives (b&w 685s, some bigger Kefs, monitor audio etc).

Today, the LS50s just didn't do it for ME.

I will agree that everything does sound better at home but I need to hear that sparkle in the store before I will commit to a home demo or purchase.

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
I demoed them side by side the KEF LS50 and the Kef R 100, using my Arcam Movie amp/cd. As I was travelling home I called into a different dealer and did the same comparison of the speakers with my amp. I'd pretty much had my heart set on the LS50s before the demos and was only using the R100 for comparison but while the LS50 were more revealing they were too analytical, I felt like they were too much like recording studio monitors. Whereas the R100 were insightful without being fatiguing and the most important thing - fun ! I even managed to knock them down to £500 :)

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Craig M. said:
Is the slight boom from your R100s the speakers, or a function of your room?

I think it is the speaker as I also run a sub (albeit quietly) that does not seem to have any such issues with bass boom. I was reading one chap's interesting journey into bass traps and room treatment that I might look - just to be sure!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This is why I always say it is best to listen. If people ask me, I will tell them that the LS50 is the better speaker - it is. I have mentioned many times though that they may be a little too much for some people, and if that is the case, the R100 will more than likely suit them better. Plus, the R100 is a little more amplifier friendly.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
... the R100 will more than likely suit them better. Plus, the R100 is a little more amplifier friendly.

I noticed this too when I auditioned these two pairs of speakers side by side. I needed to crank up the volume considerably with the LS50. I can perfectly understand why some will prefer the R100 with its lively presentation, but I chose the LS50 for its refined, effortless and natural sound signature. Both pairs are excellent imo. Beautiful finishing too.

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know why Kef went with only giving the LS50 single wire option but the R100 have the choice of single or Bi-wire with Kef's new link connection knobs (instead of having to use binding post links)? When I demoed both it was with single wire. I wish now I'd also compared the LS50 to the R100 when the latter was Bi-wired and Bi-Amped. I'd be interested to hear if anyone was done this comparison and how they stacked up against each other in such a test? On a side note (and I don't want to completely high jack this LS50 thread), I have an Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 but I'm just using it as stereo driving my R100 but I have the option to use the unused surround channels to Bi-Amp & Bi-Wire the R100, I don't have any spare speaker cable so I'd need to spend about £150 on extra high quality speaker cables so before I splash any cash doesn't anyone think it will bring significant sonic upgrade? Thanks, Stuart

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Biwiring is a waste of time.

Bi-amping how are you going to split the signal, with your amp would not the full sound go to the tweeters and to the woofers?

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
The Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 manual says this: The Arcam Solo 5.1 has a rear panel set of discrete 5.1 pre outs which can be connected to Arcam power amplifiers (such as the P35) for Bi-Amping. However, if you are not using rear channels in your system it is also possible to internally re-route the rear speaker power amplifiers for Bi-Amping the front channels. This is performed by a simple adjustment within the software (See Handbook page 19 - Powered Surround Configuration) for details.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OK that may work then. As for cable why not buy some Van Damme OFC cable that is about £4 a metre or their Studio Blue is about £2 a metre. VAn Damme make mainly pro cable for studios/concert halls.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

Does that not depend on the amp. as R100 are easier to drive, I would have thought that the R100s are better with lower powered amps and maybe poorer quality amps?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Looking a the specs, there is hardly any difference in sensitivity although I do suspect that as these are uncomprimising, uncolured speakers, you will need a decent amp to hear them at their best.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Out of interest, are there any frequency response graphs out there comparing the 2 which would should frequency peaks and troughs?

Hate to get scientific and all that but it would be good to see if there is indeed a peak around the lower mid/upper bass on the R100s as I am sure I can hear one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts