Grounding issue on Project Genie 3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I need some advice. I have a grounding issue, or believe it to be. I recently purchased a Project Genie 3, cheap as chips Turntable. It's connected via a Cambridge Audio 640P Phono, to my Arcam Solo Mini. I also have a Sonos and a Arcam rDac for what it's worth. Cables are all Chord Chrimsonplus. The earth/ground wire is the original taken from the supplied cable with the unit and obviously this is connected to the 640P. Speaks are by the QUAD L2's which I've had for about 8 years, recently purchased EB2's waiting on them. This is my second hifi - previously, in wealthier days had a Primare, Stax, Rocksan Radius, leema, Spendor A5 setup. Now space and money only allows for the Arcam etc. I'm saying this not to impress, as I know there are better out there, but more so to point that I am not new to this.

The issue is a loud crackle and hum, constantly when I use the turn table. It was fine initially, but recently developed this hum/crackle. Put it this way, I am unable to listen to LP's as a result. OK, yes it's not the best turntable in the world, but wanted something basic, but you do expect it to not have an issue like that. I've checked all I can, even used a different phono stage, and cables. Still results in the same issue. Double checked all the connections and tried a different connection into the Arcam. Further from that, I've tried moving the phono box away from all the others, just to see if that was a result of the issue. I am at a loss. Sadly, Needles & Spins are not replying to my emails and never pick up the phone. Despite me saying that I would pay more for a better turntable if they took this one back.

Any thoughts on what else it could be?

Stu

A

Anonymous

I had similar issues with my Pro-ject Debut II. They were very hard to track down as the hum would disappear whenever I took the turntable to the shop, leading us (me and the very helpful staff at Audio-T in Preston) to believe that the fault might be with the amplifier.

Eventually, I took advantage of some extended time off work to take both the amp and turntable into the shop. After almost a whole day of listening to records in the shop the hum returned. A change of cartridge didn't resolve the issue but a complete rewire did.

If Needles & Spins won't answer the phone then I would guess they're either on holiday or intending to go out of business. Trading Standards should be your next port of call.

Cheers,

Luke

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Ground loops can be a nightmare to resolve... if you haven't already, start with disconnecting everything and then re-build your system one component at a time, starting with the TT/phono stage.

If, by doing this, or through what you've done already, you determine that it is definitely the TT, then check the connections to the cartridge - may even be worthwhile disconnecting and reconnecting if you've a steady hand. (Btw, is the hum coming out of both speakers, or just one?)

Also worth trying, if you haven't already, disconnecting the Earth to the phono stage and seeing if that does the trick...

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts