Great AV amp for 300 and under? sony 80 or onkyo 606

henxuk

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,I have a ps3 as blu ray player,

panny 42 inch full 1080p  (the 4281b with freesat HD)

mission m cubes and I need an amp to connect all these

any recomendations? looking to spend no more than 300

I heard the onkyo 606 is pretty good, but I hear troubles with humming and also I

believ the onkyo 606 does NOT provide full HD sound which is obviously something I would want?

Is the the Sony 820 worth a punt or is Sony having a laugh?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

cheers  

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The Onkyo 606 will decode all HD formats but this doesn't really matter for you currently as your PS3 is unable to bitstream the HD audio formats. However, the 606 will accept the decoded PCM from the PS3 so you will still be getting HD audio with this and it will also be future proof should you buy a standalone Blu-Ray deck later on and choose to bitstream the HD formats to it.

The Sony 820 will also do all of this and is a great amp, but, if you can get the Onkyo 606 for £300, this would be a better bet for movies than the Sony in my opinion. Make sure it's not the Onkyo 506 though as this cannot accept audio via its HDMI socket, so wouldn't be able to process the HD audio decoded by your PS3.

The Yamaha DSP-AX763 is available from Richer Sounds at £290 at the moment and is also definitely worth a look - the only potential stumbling block being it only has two HDMI inputs. If this isn't an issue though, you should definitely check it out.

henxuk

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
right, so the 606 can definately receive hd audio from my ps3?

Also what settings do i need to apply to the ps3? in terms of bitstream or this PCM thing

I don't really understand what these are?

I just want HD audio from my ps3, and an amp that will be able to receive and emit it to my speakers!ÿ

henxuk

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Ahh, just realised how expensive the onkyoy 606 is - its £400!!

I really only want to spend 300 max, so looks like the sony 820 must be the way to go as am I right in thinking the onkyo 506

can't receive HD audio?

ÿ

otherwise it look slike the sony 820 is the way to go....ÿ

A

Anonymous

I have 606 amp can decode all hd formats plus has 4 hdmi inputs useful for the future,its a gem of an amp for movies and not bad at music.check sevenoaks they had great deals on this amp.

A

Anonymous

The 820 works fine with the PS3. Set the output to LPCM. Bear in mind that the 820 won't say it's receiving HD formats only LPCM - but so long as your source BD has HD sound and you've selected that soundtrack, then you're in business!

You should get the amp for about £230 now. Bargain
emotion-2.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
henxuk:Ahh, just realised how expensive the onkyoy 606 is - its £400!!

You can see I suspected as much in my first post!
emotion-11.gif

However, please don't ignore my first tip with the Yamaha at £290 - that really is a superb offer and without question the one I'd go for. The Sony 820 is a good offer, as is the Onkyo 576, but without a shadow of a doubt, I'd go for the the Yamaha offer while it lasts - that is a great deal.

A

Anonymous

Richer sounds have no stock of the Yamaha 763 and no idea if they will have any more - i tried for the last 2 weeks and still none.

You can get the Onkyo 606 for £300 though . I am on the point of ordering mine to go with my new projector- i have a 706 downstairs and i am well happy with that .

A

Anonymous

I know the 820 is also in short supply, I spoke to RicherSounds and they said they are having to recall all there sonys as there is a problem with the HD Audio. I am also looking at the yamaha as I heard a demo of it the other week. what is the cheapest price around? and what are the stockslike?

A

Anonymous

MikeyDave:I know the 820 is also in short supply, I spoke to RicherSounds and they said they are having to recall all there sonys as there is a problem with the HD Audio.

What's the problem with HD audio? Are you referring to the issue this amp sufferred at the time of release whereby you couldn't (easily) listen to audio from a Sky HD box via optical whilst watching video via HDMI, or is it something else that has come to light? I would have expected any recalls to have been completed by now.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
henxuk:

I really only want to spend 300 max, so looks like the sony 820 must be the way to go as am I right in thinking the onkyo 506

can't receive HD audio?

ÿ

Stop!

Play.com are doing the STR-DA3200ES in Silver for less than £300 (£270 I think)

A much better bet than the 820 and a bargain in its own right.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3383523/Sony-STRDA3200ESS-HD-Compatible-ES-Receiver/Product.html

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:henxuk:

can't receive HD audio?

ÿ

Stop!

Play.com are doing the STR-DA3200ES in Silver for less than £300 (£270 I think)

A much better bet than the 820 and a bargain in its own right.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3383523/Sony-STRDA3200ESS-HD-Compatible-ES-Receiver/Product.html
Man, that is cheap.

A

Anonymous

So is that better than the 820? even though its a couple of years old.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe there is any HD decoding in it though it will accept LPCM over HDMI. However as your source is a PS3 this shouldn't be a problem.

A

Anonymous

why not just go for the 605, i got mine new on flea bay for 250/270 i cant remember. It does everything you need, all the hd audio formats, but has 2 hdmi inputs. not a problem for most people.

just a thought....

A

Anonymous

I need a new amp after my Denon AVR 1707 went wrong do you think the Sony STRDA-3200ES would work well with my system?

A

Anonymous

If you can't get the Onkyo 606 for a minimum of £350, and possibly under this, you aren't haggling well enough.

Why do people pay the sticker price for goods?

Walk into any decent audio retailer, or call/email a few online suppliers mentioned all over these threads, and you will get a deal. Ask. Ask again, and then go elsewhere.

I got the 606 for £350 when it hit the market, because I refused to pay more and said I'd go elsewere. In this economic climate a lot of these chains are desperate to shift stock. Don't be a softie.

Go for the 606 and get a deal!

henxuk

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm not so sure I mean it's 2 years old only has 2 hdmi inputs and lack all the new HD audio formats - I reckon the 820 is still the better betÿ

A

Anonymous

I have decided to go for the Sony STRDA3200ESS from play.com espacially as the Sony STR-DG820 is so had to get hold of. I do hope I have made the right choice!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts