Granite Chopping Boards Under Speaker Stands?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
How exactly do they effect the sound? My stands are spiked through thickish carpet on a wooden bedroom floor so what, if any, improvements are they likely to make? General feeling I'm getting from reading through other threads is that they are likely to tighten up the bass, so is this true or am I missing the point? (which I usually do! lol). Thanks peeps.

A

Anonymous

The effect I got was that they certainly tightened up the bass, but I found it too lacking in bass department overall with the granite. Removing them was a revelation. I've not gone back to granite since.

Hope this helps.
emotion-5.gif

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:How exactly do they effect the sound?

My stands are spiked through thickish carpet on a wooden bedroom floor so what, if any, improvements are they likely to make? General feeling I'm getting from reading through other threads is that they are likely to tighten up the bass, so is this true or am I missing the point? (which I usually do! lol).

Thanks peeps.

Exactly what I found. Tightened up the bass and more detail in mid range. I put halved squash balls under mine too.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Bass isn't particularly an issue for me, but I'm rather perturbed that I'm getting incidences of bass resonance - if not exactly boom - through my Lektor's which I don't feel should be happening (it certainly wasn't when I've listened to them through 2 other set-ups). Hmmm

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If compatible with your room layout, get the speakers positioned over floor joists.

Heaping up granite and squash balls and spikes on top of thick carpet hardly provides a very stable platform.

If the floor bounces like a trampoline then the best solution is to get the floor fixed. Whilst that is happening you can use the opportunity to get some insulating material between the joists.

Also, if the joists 'run' in the same direction the speakers are pointing then you will have long rectangular cavities (between boards and ceiling underneath) that could resonate at certain frequencies, whereas - if the joists run at right angles to the direction the speakers are pointing - then there will not be such a problem. (Or if you have the cavities insulated..)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The floor is totally stable and still have to experiment with positioning as only picked the speakers up yesterday.

I wasn't looking for a "quick fix" solution as such, but remembered reading about these in the past and thought it was worthy of some further investigation.

Appreciate the tip about the joists, though, but will have to look at them tomorrow as got F1 and football for the afternoon!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Heaping up granite and squash balls and spikes on top of thick carpet hardly provides a very stable platform.

Dont know why you say that, the granite boards are heavy enough to compress the squash balls. And the squash balls are pretty sturdy by default.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:chebby:Heaping up granite and squash balls and spikes on top of thick carpet hardly provides a very stable platform.Dont know why you say that, the granite boards are heavy enough to compress the squash balls. And the squash balls are pretty sturdy by default.

Then (in this case) the thick carpet and the underlay beneath the squash balls.

That is quite a complicated 'system' going on underneath a speaker when a carpet piercing spike is all that should be required. (And looks neater too.)

If the speakers 'boom' or the floor resonates, then either the placement is wrong or it is simply the wrong speaker for that room. (Unless you have decent tone controls to alleviate it
emotion-1.gif
)

Speaker designers should take into account things like distance from walls and variables like wood or concrete floors and even things like carpetted vs bare floors but they can't be expected to develop speakers to sound right on top of supermarket chopping blocks and items of sports equipment!

SteveR750

chebby:
Heaping up granite and squash balls and spikes on top of thick carpet hardly provides a very stable platform.but they can't be expected to develop speakers to sound right on top of supermarket chopping blocks and items of sports equipment!

Really? Damn I'd better remove the cricket bats and baseball gloves from mine then
emotion-43.gif

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
This works, 4 one inch or larger pozidrive screws straight through the carpet into the floor boards, sit the spikes into the cups of the screws.

Takes a bit of faffing around with a tape measure, but you can level them quiet easily, the weight of the speaker and stand will provide a solid connection.

It works, been there and done it.
emotion-21.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i've seen someone else say that works, don't know how as coupling to the floorboards can only increase resonance through the floor. the same trick into my floor ruined the sound, and i mean really ruined, the bass was horrendous. worth a try though as some floors are obviously different.
emotion-18.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Granite chopping boards under the speaker stands didn't work for me - robbed the sound of 'life', making it seem thin. Halved squash balls beneath the speakers were a definite step up from Blu-Tack.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Right here's what to do...

Nail 4 marrows onto each speaker's bottom. Insert 1 spike bush into each marrow and screw in spikes. (Any difference in marrow length can be made up for with spike adjustment.) Now rest spikes onto 3 inch thick granite slab that has had wine corks superglued to match position of spikes. (Memorial message on slab face down of course or guests might work out source of slabs.)

Balance underside of each slab on 4 vuvuzelas 3/4 filled with volcanic sand (experiment with horn ends facing up or down for fine tuning).

Rest these on 3 haulage palletts seperated by tennis balls (or grapefruits) with the top pallett covered in Yellow Pages directories for damping.

Finally arrange your 'platforms' tastefully on top of used car tyres.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

Nail 4 marrows onto each speaker's bottom. Insert 1 spike bush into each marrow and screw in spikes. (Any difference in marrow length can be made up for with spike adjustment.) Now rest spikes onto 3 inch thick granite slab that has had wine corks superglued to match position of spikes. (Memorial message on slab face down of course or guests might work out source of slabs.)

Balance underside of each slab on 4 vuvuzelas 3/4 filled with volcanic sand (experiment with horn ends facing up or down for fine tuning).

Rest these on 3 haulage palletts seperated by tennis balls (or grapefruits) with the top pallett covered in Yellow Pages directories for damping.

emotion-2.gif
Had me going there; it was only when I got down to the bit about the used car tyres I realised you were having us on!

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
ESP2009:chebby:

emotion-2.gif
Had me going there; it was only when I got down to the bit about the used car tyres I realised you were having us on!

Used car tyres come pre run in.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
dave_k:[Used car tyres come pre run in.

But if the treads are too worn they can make the sound a bit thin. Squash balls are better for ensuring you get a decent sonic bounce off adjacent walls, but I admit they do need warming up first.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
I found that using speaker base-sized pads cut from slick (ie racing) tyres to be most effective.

But they must be 'cured' to get best results, otherwise mid-range can sound wooly: fit new tyres and do one out/in lap at moderate pace, return to pits and allow tyres to cool naturally.

Once cooled, do a 2-lap run at qualifying pace, return to pits and pour cold water on the tyres until cooled.

Then cut to size using a sharpened Griffin's claw.

Alternatively, granite tiles can improve overall detail and separation and deepen bass IME.

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

That's nearly as absurd as adjusting your tone controls :)

A

Anonymous

When you go to a hi-fi convention do they have chopping boards under stands, no, do they have tennis balls under, no, go to your hi-fi shop, do they use them, no, i think that tells you something. Am i the only one who is satisfied enough to just press play ,sit down and listen?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:When you go to a hi-fi convention do they have chopping boards under stands, no, do they have tennis balls under, no, go to your hi-fi shop, do they use them, no, i think that tells you something.

What tells you more is if you get there early enough and hear them all bitching about how bad their tiny little room sounds! There was a lot of unhappy demoers at Bristol this year, I didn't notice anything like the number of complaints last year.

It's a bit of a generalisation but hotels are usually pretty solidly built, that's what you need, a firm base under the speaker, if your floor provides you with that there's no problem. I've got a solid concrete floor in the living room, I just spike straight through the carpet and that's it, nothing else needed.

Am i the only one who is satisfied enough to just press play ,sit down and listen?

No but you should hear my dining room, springy floorboards over a cellar, it's like a giant sounding box on a guitar, huge bass boost, I'll have to do something in there if we swap rooms, which the other half is threatening me with.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
johnnyjazz:When you go to a hi-fi convention do they have chopping boards under stands, no, do they have tennis balls under, no, go to your hi-fi shop, do they use them, no, i think that tells you something. Am i the only one who is satisfied enough to just press play ,sit down and listen?

I'm afraid you are back into the whole debate about fine-tuning. Why do some people spend all their available time tinkering under the bonnets of what other folk consider to be perfectly acceptable cars? Why do people add spoilers, bigger exhausts, fat tyres, alloy wheels, etc, etc? I couldn't be bothered to do so, but for others it's a hobby and very satisfying. I maintain this is the same. To some it's a waste of time (and money), to others it's a worthwhile and rewarding activity. Yes, you could be listening to the music instead, but if you think you are improving things, the long-term benefit is probably worth it.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
johnnyjazz:When you go to a hi-fi convention do they have chopping boards under stands, no, do they have tennis balls under, no, go to your hi-fi shop, do they use them, no, i think that tells you something. Am i the only one who is satisfied enough to just press play ,sit down and listen?
Very good point.

However, perhaps it's also worth considering that convention centres invariably have solid concrete floors and a h-fi shop might have installed bespoke 'acoustically correct' flooring?

A

Anonymous

ihc, esp and sixth, all valid points you,ve made guys, everyone is searching for that true sound, and at the end of the day we know it just does not exist, but having said that, it might already exist in your own systems but you don,t realise it yet. Why not set yourself a target of listening to the music for 1 month without doing anything to tweak or so called upgrade and see how happy you are. Apart from the speakers and their cables i,ve been listening to the same cdp, pre, amp and cables for the last 8 years and have been very happy, didn,t want to change the speakers but i got such a good deal on them that it would have been mental not to buy them.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
johnnyjazz:ihc, esp and sixth, all valid points you,ve made guys, everyone is searching for that true sound, and at the end of the day we know it just does not exist, but having said that, it might already exist in your own systems but you don,t realise it yet. Why not set yourself a target of listening to the music for 1 month without doing anything to tweak or so called upgrade and see how happy you are. Apart from the speakers and their cables i,ve been listening to the same cdp, pre, amp and cables for the last 8 years and have been very happy, didn,t want to change the speakers but i got such a good deal on them that it would have been mental not to buy them.

Funny you should say that, I fully intend to do so pretty soon.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS