Graham

A

Anonymous

I'm not Graham, but the 8 range of Cyrus players are bright with artificial treble, and the 192 is quite pleasant and smooth, but ultimately uninteresting.

Stepping up to the DACX will give you more detail but it is somehow smoother in its treble extension.

The Cambridge 840 is a peach - ignore the brand and the price tag.

The Naim CD5i is pretty enjoyable too and nice to use if you, like I, are fond of the swingy drawer.

A

Anonymous

I thought the 8SE was leagues ahead, but as with everything hifi, one man's meat is another poison, so have a listen.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
How does teh CD8se compare to the CD192?

Hi Joel. Well, so far, I must admit I'm impressed. Only an hour or so in and:

More detail, pin sharp resolution, clearer separation, cymbals especially seem to shimmer and actually sound like they are being hit, not as warm, taughter bass, less volume as I had to crank it up a whack (2.1v output vs 2.3 I suppose, I didn't think it would make so much difference). The brightness I expected with my speakers is not there. I've given it a bit of classical (Shostakovich and Faure), rock (Mogwai and Marillion) and currently onto Gilmour Live in Gdansk - which sounds stunning, though it is a reference recording for me now!

A

Anonymous

It made Mozart's Clarinet Quintets sound like nails on a blackboard to my ears.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:It made Mozart's Clarinet Quintets sound like nails on a blackboard to my ears.

I bought Arcam and everybody slagged it.

I buy Cyrus and everybody slagged it!

emotion-9.gif

Well, it sounds ok to my old lugs anyway!

A

Anonymous

It's irrelevant what people think.

Buy and listen to what you enjoy yourself.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:The big question is: What have you done with the 192 Graham?

Some kind person bought it off eBay....
emotion-5.gif

There are a few new ones on there for £499 - I reckon they would take £400 to offload them so worth a punt in my view if you're in the hunt for one Chris......

A

Anonymous

'Three Wishes' on Roger Waters' 'Amused to Death' (another amazingly recorded work and one of my references) has just revealed some vocals and organ I've not heard before!

Quality...........

A

Anonymous

36 hours constant running and just put Elbow 'The Seldom Seen Kid' on - fabulous sound - those horns are superb!

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Amused to Death definately my favourite of the moment, see my post under albums that take you away......fantastic and you really do hear more the better your stereo is, glasses chinking etc where you never heard them previously etc.

A

Anonymous

Terryff:Amused to Death definately my favourite of the moment, see my post under albums that take you away......fantastic and you really do hear more the better your stereo is, glasses chinking etc where you never heard them previously etc.

That rocket coming in is amazing, good test for the floorstanders! Dripping taps, telephones etc.

The bit I don't get is the spoken word around the gas bottle from that woman.......
emotion-6.gif

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:

Joel - I have to say, if you have the itch to upgrade your CD, make sure you audition the 8SE alongside Arcam CD37 if nothing else. I did and categorically preferred the CD37.

A

Anonymous

funkbrother:Congrats on the new 8se!!

Cheers Bro.

It's been on a couple of days now and opening up...........

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Dan Turner:JoelSim:

ÿ

ÿ

Joel - I have to say, if you have the itch to upgrade your CD, make sure youÿaudition the 8SE alongside Arcam CD37 if nothing else.ÿ I did and categorically preferred the CD37.

I was just curious really, and I love the Arcam sound so I very much doubt that I'd get on with a Cyrus. If I were to upgrade anything then it would be the amp/power followed by the speakers I think, this CD player is probably my last given the way technology is going.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Dan Turner:JoelSim:

ÿ

ÿ

Joel - I have to say, if you have the itch to upgrade your CD, make sure youÿaudition the 8SE alongside Arcam CD37 if nothing else.ÿ I did and categorically preferred the CD37.

I was just curious really, and I love the Arcam sound so I very much doubt that I'd get on with a Cyrus. If I were to upgrade anything then it would be the amp/power followed by the speakers I think, this CD player is probably my last given the way technology is going.

ÿ

Audition if you get a chance. I had a CD72, 82, 93 and 192 and whilst a lovely warm sound - I changed my mind and like the detail this player offers to be honest, although a leaner machine.

emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts