Government Petition Started on BBC HD Picture Quality Fall

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
A petition was started yesterday over the fall in the picture quality on BBC HD due to the use of an alleged inadequate bit rate on the new encoder thats resulted in blurry, unsharp and at times pixellated pictures on BBC HD (previously BBC HD was the best channel for PQ). I understand the bit rate at 9.8mbs is below the European Broadcasting Union MINIMUM recommended limit for HD of 12mbs.

Those of you who have been following this will know this debate has been raging for months now with posts running into hundreds of responses on the BBC Blog and other forums from angry Freesat and Sky users. At times pictures on SD channels such as Ch4 have appeared better in some users eyes than BBC HD.

As a result of a total lack of response from the BBC management in returning the PQ to what it was before, the petiton has been started.

If you value your HD viewing experience both now and for the future, then I suggest you consider signing.

The petition can be found here:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBCHDPQ/

This isn't my petition but as someone concerned about the huge drop in BBC HD PQ I thought that it deserved to be brought to your attention.

Thanks for that!
emotion-21.gif

I've just signed it.

daveh75

Signed it yesterday!

There is also a campaign being run by Paul Geaton, who has raised the issue with the BBC trust and needs your support, and any evidence to support claims of picture deterioration!

P.G's campaign website is Here,.

He has also started Twitter and Facebook groups for those of you that way inclined........

Facebook BBC HD PQ campaign

Twitter BBC HD PQ campaign

Also during a recent interview, Danielle Nagler(head of BBC HD) stated that despite countless complaints about the PQ/bitrate issue on her very own bbc blog, as well as on various forums, POV and coverage from the press etc, there was only 1 "official" complaint made to the BBC trust.

So i'd suggest that people also make their complaints directly to the BBC trust

BBC complaints Homepage

A

Anonymous

i have signed the petiton and also sent a complaint
as the p-q on bbc hd is now just mince- -tripe its really that bad imo..

A

Anonymous

don't think petitions really work ... In cambridge they decided to go ahead with a guided bus network after much outcry from residents ... cost zillions ... loads of petitions but they went ahead anyway and ignored all the petitions

was supposed to be up an running in november ,,, now they are trillions overspent, .... it's nearly january and still no guided busway?

anyway, good luck with the petitions, but don't 'hold your breath'

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I've just added my name to the petition as well, however, I can't open the BBC complaints page from the link in this thread at the moment. I'll keep trying and when it works will add a complaint on there too.

A

Anonymous

hello,

has any other channels done this. Sky movies doesn't look as good to me any more. for example the mummy has been showing on sky movies for over a year and PQ is definitely not as good. the scene where the guy is in jail at the beginning used to look a lot sharper, i remember being very impressed watching it in april, just watching it now and it's not as detailed.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Me too! Been following this sorry saga on the BBC forum. I have little hope this will make much difference, but at least I feel I'm doing something to express my anger at the standard of HD transmission now being offered (with the odd exception), made infinitely worse by the patronising attitude those in charge at BBC HD are showing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts