Google Earth and Windows 8 64-bit?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know how to get Google Earth to play with Winblows 8?

I've been trying for two weeks without luck. Even tried installing Linux on a spare hard disk and using that instead.

Right now I'm madder than Max Mosely finding his home videos posted on Youtube...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

cheeseboy said:
what problem are you having?

A little window popos up that says:

Windows cannot acces the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I'll give the older version a whirl...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

Windows cannot acces the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

cheeseboy said:

"Windows cannot acces the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

cheeseboy said:

"Windows cannot acces the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I am running GE 7.0.3.8542 on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with no problems.

As to your error - have you tried running GE as administrator to see if that helps.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
With this and other problems with Winblows 8 (my AtuoCAD won't install, IE10, Firefox and Mozilla keep having those "security certificate" errors, etc. etc. etc.) I'm seriously thinking about going back to Windows 7, or even Vista. I think these all stem from using an upgrade version rather than a clean install from a system builder version.

Oh, and since I had a spare hard disk already inside the case, I've installed Ubuntu Linux (my particular favorite flavor) on that :dance:

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Linux installed, Google Earth working.

FWIW all the IT guys I've spoken to about upgrading to Winblows 8 reply "You did WHAT??? No wonder you're having problems".

Now, if anyone can point me in the direction of a Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit DVD (I've lost mine, but I do have a licence), that would be great....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Followed your link and successfully downloaded a copy of Windows Vista 64 bit.

Windows 8 is history.:dance:

Unfortunately I chose the wrong option and scrubbed the hard disk, so am now re-installing all my software.

A small price to pay for being rid of Windows 8.

I intend to send my Windows 8 package back to Microsoft telling themwhat a pile of poo it is and asking for either a Windows 7 or Office 2007 upgrade in exchange. I'll let you know how that one works out.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Windows Vista re-installed.:bounce:

AutoCAD 2010 is working again.:bounce:

Google Earth is working again :bounce:

I'm pretty sure MS Office 2010 will once I buy another licence. OpenOfffice will do for now. Being a Microsoft product that only desrves half a :bounce:

Now all I've got to do is find my Mathcad DVD and get hold of a pre-98 MS Project Installation Disc and I'm back in business.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well.

That's not surprising.

Had-to re-install Windows 8 to get Office 365 working. So this ti,e I did a fll install from a reformatted disk all the way through, and everything (so far) seems to work just fine. Google Earth works, AutoCAD works, the whole shebang.

Conclusion - don't buy upgrade versions, spend the extra twenty quid and buy the full version.|(

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Upgrade versions "are" full versions.

And Windows 8 is a far better OS than Vista, which along with ME is the worst MS have released.

The start screen takes some getting used to but it's quicker to boot, quicker to run and more secure.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
After installing the "upgrade" version of Winblows 8 over Vista, then getting hacked off because nothing worked properly, last week we upgraded the wife's entire business (well, ten PCs anyway) to MS Office 365.

So I had to go back to Windows 8. This time I took the original Windows Vista boot disk and hid it away, bought a new hard disk and did a clean install.

Result? Google Earth works, AutoCAD 2010 works, MS Office 365 is brilliant value for money considering it works out at just 20 Dollars a year per device (at home), more for the business versions.

And apart from those annoying things some nerds in Microsoft were "brilliant", or "fab" or whatever nerds say these days, which the nerds forgot to test on people who actually go outdoors once in a while and date real girls and stuff like that, it's pretty good. Microsoft does have a habit of straying way off the "if it ain't broke don't mend it" philosophy, and I, for one, would wish they just speeded things up, added new stuff and didn't b*gger about with the menus and buttons we've only just mastered after the previous release. It's likme Ford coming out with a car with steering pedals instead of a steering wheel, every flipping time they release a new version.

It does boot faster than Vista (mine was Vista SP2, which is pretty close to being 7 anyway), 7 (possibly). I'm looking forward to the de-nerding or "coke moment" Service Pack, however....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
And apart from those annoying things some nerds in Microsoft were "brilliant", or "fab" or whatever nerds say these days,

The 'nerds' will be using Linux.

Real nerds are people who first have to buy some clothes online should the need to leave the house ever arise.

They wouldn't be found dead* with a copy of Windows.

*Due to being buried under a landslide of pizza boxes usually.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
And apart from those annoying things some nerds in Microsoft were "brilliant", or "fab" or whatever nerds say these days,

The 'nerds' will be using Linux.

Real nerds are people who first have to buy some clothes online should the need to leave the house ever arise.

They wouldn't be found dead* with a copy of Windows.

*Due to being buried under a landslide of pizza boxes usually.

Geeks then? :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts