goodbye floorstanders??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.Can anyone give me an unbiased answer as to whether the B&W 685 speakers are better than my old AE 109 floorstanders? I really think I'm long overdue an upgrade,especially for the timing that standmounts can offer.What do you think?

A

Anonymous

Hi I haven't heard either of these speakers but I would just consider that the notion of standmounts delivering better timing is very generalized. Admittedly it's a difference price bracket but the BR2's did not deliver better timing than my current speakers. In fact the floorstanders are a step up in all respects and in addition I might have noticed that the 685's really require dreadnought stands bringing the total to around 600.00. I haven't had the opportunity to hear them yet but from all accounts I would say you should also be considering the Monitor Audio RS6's.

A

Anonymous

If you forget the characteristics of the two different types of speaker the B&W are by far the better speaker. The 109 is a warm, bassy speaker, decent mid-range though a little sluggish. The 685 can basically cope with everything you throw at them with sophistication, provided you aren't too pent up on bass. To put it simply they are a better speaker.

A

Anonymous

Interesting Octopo, but how do you compare them to the RS6's?

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:Interesting Octopo, but how do you compare them to the RS6's?

The RS6 is a terrific speaker which must be auditioned when considering speakers in this price range. A couple of years ago when I was auditioning my last pair of speakers I chose the 685 over the RS6, however I can quite easily see how you might choose them. The RS6 didn't have the outright realism the 685 had with the electronics I was using. However I've heard the RS6 many times since and am always amazed by what a classy speaker they are for the price. (By the way did you mean the RS6 or the RS1?)

A

Anonymous

Which begs the question what electronics the OP is using?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Haven't heard those B&W 685 but I would say the timing and pace would be better than the AE109 which I have on a second system, The AE 109 are not fast sounding speakers,they major on scale and soundstaging with that fat bass and rich midrange. Although my AE evo3 do time better although sonically similar,but they have a better tweeter and metal drivers.

A

Anonymous

Am using Cambridge Audio Azur 640a and 640c....haven't made my mind up on a new AV receiver as yet.Have a Wharfedale 250 sub,the award winner from a couple of years ago.Cheers for the advice so far!

A

Anonymous

Have you considered demoing them? Maybe with the MS Mezzo and Epos m12i as well?

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:Interesting Octopo, but how do you compare them to the RS6's?

I had auditioned 685s right after RS6s not that long ago and picked RS6s for two reasons. 685s had less bass and sounded a bit muffled at low volumes - they sound had to be turned up to bring the best out of them (also need a powerful amp with 685s). I listen to music in late evenings so this was an important point for me. RS6s sounded very good even at very low volumes. Otherwise both speakers deliver the goods :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts