Good speaker match for denon DRA-F107DAB (low volume listening)

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I've finally diched my old technics mini stack in my bedroom in favour of something newer.

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=Systems&SubId=MiniMicro&ProductId=DRAF107DAB

I'm currently using the denon DRA-F107dab system with a pair of AE aegis 1's on target stands at the bottom of my bed, but I'm finding it slightly too muddy for low volume dab radio listening late at night or in the morning for everything else it seems fine.

speaker cable I'm using is the qed original ofc.

I'd like the sound to be comparable to my main system at low volumes. obviously I'm not gonna get anywhere near the fmj power amp and ma GR10 combo quality but would like it near.

so I nead a pair of speakers that are just really expressive at low volumes, I find I loose mid to low high vocal ranges.

I just missed out on a pair of focal jm lab chorus 714s floorstanders, reading about these it appears the tweeter crossover points go lower and the sensitivity is high so they could an option?

do I want low or high sensitivity for low volume listening?

looking to spend approx £150 s/h appearance not a factor.

THANKS GUYS!!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi whats your budget and what sort of music. I listened to some kef r500s and was very impressed at the sound even when volume was turned right down I susspect that the r100 or the r 300 might fit the bill others on here will have some better ideas :) good luck

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
They do look amazing, but maybe a tad pricy :oops: . I'm looking for something from upto 10years ago s/h but was about that price at the time maybe.

the bargain hunt begins!! (I just need to know what I'm looking for!!??) :?

matthewpiano

I'd suggest trying some Dali Zensor 1s, Lektor 1s or Lektor 2s. All excellent at low volumes and should pair well with Denon. Otherwise, the KEF Q100s are a great speaker and I've heard them sounding great with entry level Denon seperates.

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, I quite like the look of the lektor 1's.
Before I buy any more speakers I thoughts I'd better try auditioning all the other speakers in the family.
First up- my sisters MA BR1's
To begin with they sound pretty much the same as the AE aegis ones but then after a while I can feel myself being drawn into the track, slightly more expression, clearer, better sound stage, more musical and most importantly more defined at lower volumes. But I still think it could be better. The BR 1's are amazing for what they are!
Gonna give these a while then try my dads b&w dm601's.
Not sure if to try my MA gr10's because I feel my main system is spot on now and those should stay there where the belong!
I think the AE aegis ones are just slightly dull and need a new home! Anyone else owned a pair?

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
jonnyavery said:
Hi all,

I've finally diched my old technics mini stack in my bedroom in favour of something newer.

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=Systems&SubId=MiniMicro&ProductId=DRAF107DAB

I'm currently using the denon DRA-F107dab system with a pair of AE aegis 1's on target stands at the bottom of my bed, but I'm finding it slightly too muddy for low volume dab radio listening late at night or in the morning for everything else it seems fine.

speaker cable I'm using is the qed original ofc.

I'd like the sound to be comparable to my main system at low volumes. obviously I'm not gonna get anywhere near the fmj power amp and ma GR10 combo quality but would like it near.

so I nead a pair of speakers that are just really expressive at low volumes, I find I loose mid to low high vocal ranges.

I just missed out on a pair of focal jm lab chorus 714s floorstanders, reading about these it appears the tweeter crossover points go lower and the sensitivity is high so they could an option?

do I want low or high sensitivity for low volume listening?

looking to spend approx £150 s/h appearance not a factor.

THANKS GUYS!!

OK,

I've had a pair of Dali Ikon 1's for almost a year and for normal to loud listening I'd say they are amazing, a proper giant killer, no distortion or harshness even when cranked right up.

BUT

Thats not what I want them for. They are supposed to be giving me the expression I want at a volume that is low enough for my bedroom, not to annoy my neighbours late at night or early in the morning.

SO

I'm looking to change these for a pair of floorstanders, Maybe MA RS8's or GR20's would my DRA-F107 (in for repair atm) give me the defintion I'm looking for through either of these or do I simply need more power from my amp?

It appears there are no s/h dali ikon 1's about at the moment so am I daft parting with them?

what does everyone else have in their bedroom?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts