good old flea bay!

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
picked up a rotel rcd 965bx saturday night for the grand sum of 99p!!!

ok theres a few scratches on the top and its missing the eject button, but its fully functional in otherwise good condition, with it being old im not entirely sure which kit i should be pairing it up with. ie, budget or mid ? as ive no idea what it retailed for. i realise price isnt everything but it wold guide me as to what sort of thing i should be looking for. again ebay will be my port of call, and more than likeley something of the same era (ish) as it seems to be the most cost effective way of doing this. ive been looking at stuff like rotel ra-820ax/920ax and some marrantz stuff like pm66se. and also old nad models - 3020 ?

am i on the right lines ? im not really in a position to audition due to the stuff im looking at being so old, so i would appreciate if any of you have owned anything like this in the past, if you could give me a clue on the characteristics of some of these it would be great.

will be using chord rumour 2 spk cable, cambridge pacific ic, and for the time being wharfedale 9.0 speakers, which started this little quest,but i get the feeling the stuff im getting will outclass them ??? - i didnt realise there were so many bargains out there!! so will be looking for replacements soon i think. though they will have to wait as will prob want new, not sure about s/h speakers - any bad experiences out there?

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I reckon you'd be very happy with a Nad 3020 as your intro to the wonderful world of retro/classic/vintage hifi. Until you get some idea of the pitfalls don't buy secondhand speakers off ebay or suchlike. With speakers you really need to be able to see and touch them to be sure they're ok (moving the cones of woofers in and out gently using an even pressure from evenly spaced fingers will show up coil damage).

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
If I remember correctly the pm66 got decent reviews so should be fine.

I used to have one of those rotel amps you mention, I don't recall which now but I enjoyed it and it was built like a tank. Actually wouldn't mind another to play with!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts