Good Morning Judge.

Played an awful lot of 10cc's albums recently 'Deceptive Bends' and 'Bloody Tourists'. The former (IMHO) is one of the best albums of the 70s. Just dug out the latter this morning (both on vinyl), can't believe they haven't been mentioned more on this forum.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I like 10cc. In fact 'Changing Faces' by 10cc and G&C was the first CD I ever bought in 1987. 'Wall Street Shuffle' from that very same CD remains one of my test tracks when I change something in my HiFi. Shame that 'Changing Faces' contains the shorter mix of Rubber Bullets: I suspect it was done because the predominant vinyl version was already crammed with nearly an hour of music. It also misses what I think are a few essential tracks like 'Neanderthal Man' and 'The Dean And I'.

There's been at least five compilation albums I can think of (and probably some I can't) from 1975 to 2006. I find you've got to be careful because the SQ can change a lot from album to album, with different masters (or different generations of the same master), and sometimes different mixes. Spotify can be useful here.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
It also misses what I think are a few essential tracks like 'Neanderthal Man' ...

Neanderthal Man was by Hotlegs, yes I know it was essentially the same members, minus Graham Gouldman. It was them messing around in the studio they'd just set up. The name, Hotlegs, refers to a girl at the studio who always wore hotpants (remember them?). I always like the B side as well, You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It.

My favourite 10cc albums are the earlier ones, Sheet Music & Original Soundtrack.

Must get them back on the turntable!
smiley-smile.gif

chrisr1718 said:
MajorFubar said:
It also misses what I think are a few essential tracks like 'Neanderthal Man' ...

Neanderthal Man was by Hotlegs, yes I know it was essentially the same members, minus Graham Gouldman. It was them messing around in the studio they'd just set up. The name, Hotlegs, refers to a girl at the studio who always wore hotpants (remember them?). I always like the B side as well, You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It.

My favourite 10cc albums are the earlier ones, Sheet Music & Original Soundtrack.

smiley-smile.gif

Seem to remember a friend having the single of Neanderthal Man. Didn't it have a "Give Peace A Chance" beat to it?

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chrisr1718 said:
MajorFubar said:

smiley-smile.gif

Seem to remember a friend having the single of Neanderthal Man. Didn't it have a "Give Peace A Chance" beat to it?

Sort of, yes. I'm sure it's on Youtube somewhere.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Neanderthal Man was by Hotlegs. So maybe including it as 10cc would be a bit dubious. Mind you, one of the more recent compilation albums (might have been the 2006 one) had 'Bridge To Your Heart' on it...

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Only last week I listed Sheet Music, Original Soundtrack, How Dare You and Deceptive Bends in the What Vinyl Are You Listening To thread. Deceptive bends does have some good tracks on it, but Mingus Godley & Creme it's pretty poor compared to the previous three albums, IMO.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ifor said:
Only last week I listed Sheet Music, Original Soundtrack, How Dare You and Deceptive Bends in the What Vinyl Are You Listening To thread. Deceptive bends does have some good tracks on it, but Mingus Godley & Creme it's pretty poor compared to the previous three albums, IMO.

They would have been an interesting band with Mingus :) .But seriously, I agree completely. 10cc were my favourite band when I was a lad and I remember the disappointment the first time I heard Deceptive Bends. I stll regularly listen to How Dare You and The Original Soundtrack, as well as L and Freeze Frame.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
hammill said:
They would have been an interesting band with Mingus :) .

I really should check before I post!

I saw them at the Colston Hall in Bristol on the How Dare You tour. It was superb. I saw three "perfect" performances there and this was one of them; the other two were Supertramp and Jethro Tull.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I saw some incarnation of 10cc at Hampton open air pool a couple of years ago. It wasn't very good.

Saw them twice recently. A superb evening. Different lineup ofcourse from original but an ezcellent band still. How Dare You and DB on vinyl. Brilliant

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ifor said:
hammill said:

I saw them at the Colston Hall in Bristol on the How Dare You tour. It was superb. I saw three "perfect" performances there and this was one of them; the other two were Supertramp and Jethro Tull.

I have never seen Supertramp (Crime of the Century is a fine album) but I have seen Tull a few times and they were excellent (especially the first time in the late seventies when Anderson's voice was still strong).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hammill said:
ifor said:
hammill said:

I have never seen Supertramp (Crime of the Century is a fine album) but I have seen Tull a few times and they were excellent (especially the first time in the late seventies when Anderson's voice was still strong).

Saw Tull 2x in late 70s they were great live, Hammersmith Odean Feb 1977, almost as good as Graham Parker.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I've lost count of the times I've seen Tull. We saw IA on the TAAB2 tour in Southampton and have tickets for the next tour; Oxford 4th May 2014. It's such a shame his voice has gone. It's not been up to it the last four times we've seen him perform.

I saw Martin Barre in Bristol recently, playing mostly Tull stuff; very good.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
It's a shame so many people see 10CC as a 'one-hit-wonder' band because of I'm Not In Love. Actually taken in context, although I don't consider it one of their best, it's a brilliant piece of writing and performing. I've only seen the band once, in their heyday, when believe it or not Chas & Dave were the support (ahem).

My favourite track is probably Old Wild Men but there's easily another 20 I could choose. The fake bad edit in G&C's Wedding Bells also always makes me smile.

Favourite album is definitely Sheet Music followed by The Original Soundtrack.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chrisr1718 said:
MajorFubar said:

smiley-smile.gif

Still have both on 7'' singles...:)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I rather liked the singles, but on the back of them bought a couple of LPs back in the 70s (The Original Soundtrack & How Dare You) which I found pretty hard going - dare I say art for arts sake? I must re-visit them again to see if my opinion has changed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts