Good/ Bad points of a budget Cambridge Audio system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, at the moment I'm thinking of getting myself my first system. Basically I want an Amplifier, a CD player and some speakers for a relatively small room at a budget of about £300!

After looking round and reading reviews etc I have noticed that Cambridge Audio have a few nice looking budget items going on, in particular I have seen a little bundle consisting of the below items for about £280 I think it was. But obviously I will have to buy the cables and speaker stands on top of this! :)

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 - Amp

Cambridge Audio Topaz CD5 v4 - CD player

Cambridge Audio S20 - Speakers

I was just wondering what your views are on these peices of kit and weather anyone has had any good/bad experences with them as part of different systems or together!

Thanks a lot for your time and I hope to hear back soon!

Cheers,

Callum

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Think that's the way I'd be looking to for that sort of budget.

I had the DM37 hooked up with Tannoy F1 Customs and it was just superb IMO. Not heard the F1 replacements, the V1's, but they've certainly got a good write up and definitely worth a look at just £279 for the whole package.

T

the record spot

For your money, you could, if you are prepared to consider some alternatives, some active speakers. KRK's Rokit 5 is about £200 or so and all you'd need to get you going would be your computer, a DAC and a suitable cable. They reviewed well (see the Sound on Sound review for the Rokit 5s and the bigger 8s) and I heard them earlier this year. Not as good as the wonderful Genelec 8040, but then again, there's a near £1000 difference between the two...

Seriously worth considering, especially given the room size you have, and performance is likely to be at least the equal, but I rather imagine the KRKs would offer more.

EDIT: Here's the product spec link for the Rokit 5s and 8s from KRK's site: http://www.krksys.com/product_rokit.php

JohnnyV111

May 31, 2010
Visit site
lewy92:
Hi all, at the moment I'm thinking of getting myself my first system. Basically I want an Amplifier, a CD player and some speakers for a relatively small room at a budget of about £300!

After looking round and reading reviews etc I have noticed that Cambridge Audio have a few nice looking budget items going on, in particular I have seen a little bundle consisting of the below items for about £280 I think it was. But obviously I will have to buy the cables and speaker stands on top of this! :)

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 - Amp

Cambridge Audio Topaz CD5 v4 - CD player

Cambridge Audio S20 - Speakers

I was just wondering what your views are on these peices of kit and weather anyone has had any good/bad experences with them as part of different systems or together!

Thanks a lot for your time and I hope to hear back soon!

Cheers,

Callum

I've chosen and set up similar CA systems for several members of my family upgrading from midi style systems, and the results have been fantastic Apart from in the case of my father who waited until I had gone before placing the speakers in the corner of the room, pointed at right angles to one another...but as long as you don't do that it'll be about the best the money can buy - a revelatory step up if you aren't used to separates.

matthewpiano

Only comment I would make is that if you can afford it you should go for the 350A amp instead of the Topaz one. The Topaz amps suffer from poor channel balance at low volumes whereas the 350A benefits from the ALPs Black Box control used in the bigger 550A and 650A amps. This pot tracks balance far more accurately at all volumes and the 350A is a more natural and more detailed sounding amp than the Topaz.

Alternatively I think the Denon suggestion is a great one. A DM38DAB with a pair of Mission MX1s would be my suggestion and I'm confident it would outperform the Topaz range kit by quite some margin.

A

Anonymous

Hi there Woodpecker, sorry to interrupt on this ÿthread but I am looking for a decent CD player to go with my B&W685s & I noticed you had a Marantz 6002. How well or not does it play?ÿ

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi Callum, I am a big Cambridge fan and would agree with other suggestions that a small step up from the Topaz might be in oredr...check out your local Richer Sounds if at all possible, they are doing good deals on Cambridge seperates at the moment and would surely throw in a set of Cambridge cables if you got a complete setup from them...hope it works out for you !!

TRENDING THREADS