Goldring Eroica H vs. Ortofon Quintet

hifidivided

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I recently ran in to some compatibility issues with my Dynavector 10x5 and I need a new cart to take its place. I'm currently deciding between the Eroica H and the new Ortofon Quintet (blue). I'm swaying towards the quintet right now.

Does anyone here have the new blue Quintet? Happy?

I use a Whest pre amp with a range of load and DB settings so most carts should be fine... MC or MM. Record player is a Rega P3-24.

Any suggestions or preferences from people? I've liked the dynamics and neutral balance of the 10x5 so far. Any advice on carts I should read u on greatly apprecited.

Thanks!

HiDi

The new Ortofons are just that, new. I have not even seen a review of one yet let alone heard of anybody who has one.

What are you looking to spend?

What compatability issue did you have with dynavector?

Personally I don't see the point or get on with hi-output moving coils, if you are going to get one go for low-output.

Don't underestimate the Nagaoka range of cartridges, they are very good all-rounders for the money.

hifidivided

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The 10x5 was creating a high pitch noise with the pre-amp. NO other combination of preamp and cart could recreate it. However the 10x5 works with other preamps. and preamp works perfect with any other cart that I could borrow from friends to test. And same results after bringing the gear to friend's places and using their setup.

I saw that the Quintet range was new but since they have been available for a short while I was hoping someone might have heard one. The blue LOMC looks tempting and thats what I'll go for.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
How did you find the 10x5?

The only reason I ask is that I found the 10x5 a little too forward for my liking then changed to a Nagaoka MP200 - this really is lovely cart and is the around the same cost of a 10x5!

The Nagaoka is just musical, taut bass and refined treble - I love it

hifidivided

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I really like the 10x5! Would not change if it was not for the compatibility issues.

I have not heard the nagaoka but I will look into it. Thanks!

hifidivided

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
In the end I decided on the new Ortofon Quintet Blue and its about 10 hours in so far. Sounds amazing and I would not change it for anything!!

hifidivided

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely. It looks kind of funny mounted on the Rega but our apartment is quite small and quite cluttered so t doesn't bother me. Gotta say though... setting it up and lining up the cart on the headshell was never easier. And when the sound is this good I can live with the big blue box hanging from the shell. Really... to my ears its beyond what I was expecting. Could also be a synergy thing as often is the case. But on my system the Blue Quintet matched with the Whest preamp sounds delightful. Highly recommended!

floyd droid said:
Al ears said:
Quite agree, but have you seen them Nagaoka's? :grin:

I'll see your nagga and raise you a VDH Crimson. Dont knock naggies Al , Stevieboy will put a horse's head under yer duvet.

Not knocking their sound at all, it was their budget looking looks I was on about,

And yes the Crimson does look like something that was knocked-up in a garden shed. :)

I have heard that if it is torqued too tightly into the headshell you can strip the collets straight out of the wood. yours for £3850 .... don't make me laugh!

And how the heck do you know I use a duvet??

hifidivided

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Nevere been to keen on the spaceship-looking hifi stuff. I like the bland colors, box shape and functionl! :) If only they would've kept the quintet clean in color without the logo then I would be in heaven!

Maybe its also the move from MM and HOMC to a LOMC that I'm reacting too. As always hard to tell with these things but after a few months of trouble shooting I am now back to just playing records and not thinking about the technical. Result!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
floyd droid said:
Al ears said:
Quite agree, but have you seen them Nagaoka's? :grin:

I'll see your nagga and raise you a VDH Crimson. Dont knock naggies Al , Stevieboy will put a horse's head under yer duvet.

Not knocking their sound at all, it was their budget looking looks I was on about,

And yes the Crimson does look like something that was knocked-up in a garden shed. :)

I have heard that if it is torqued too tightly into the headshell you can strip the collets straight out of the wood. yours for £3850 .... don't make me laugh!

And how the heck do you know I use a duvet??

Sigh , I knew thee were on about the looks of the naggies Al.

When I first got a glimpse of the Crimson I though exactly the same , jesus wept its rough !. I think matey who reviewed it actually did rawl the inserts, or at least one of them,out lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts