Getting Sky Leads Extended...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello!

I'm considering drastically changing the layout of my front room soon, and this would necessitate much longer leads coming in from the dish. Does anyone know anything about the cost and procedure? Best to go with Sky or use a third party (can i even do that?).

EDIT - rubbish title that, innit? i mean, i doubt they actually extend the leads...
emotion-10.gif

daveh75

well if your going to completely replace the leads then i'd use an independent installer rather than sky tbh it will be cheaper. Sky will charge you their standard "service call" rate of £65 to replace the cabling whereas an independent should be much cheaper,exactly how much will depend on how much cabling etc is required.

daveh75

al7478:

EDIT - rubbish title that, innit? i mean, i doubt they actually extend the leads...
emotion-10.gif

Sky won't/shouldn't just extend the leads no, it's poor practice and ideally should be a continious cable from LNB to STB.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks.

Im being really thick here, but as long as i now what length i want, could i just get it done and leave it, and rearrange the room later, knowing i have "enough rope", rather than arrange to do it all the same day (as i need to get help...? Does that make sense?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
al7478:
Thanks.

Im being really thick here, but as long as i now what length i want, could i just get it done and leave it, and rearrange the room later, knowing i have "enough rope", rather than arrange to do it all the same day (as i need to get help...? Does that make sense?

I changed my rack a while back and the aerial cable was about six inches too short and all the cables were chased in to the wall. If this is what you are talking about, all you need is something like this and then the additional length. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29525

Mine works fine.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:al7478:

Thanks.

I changed my rack a while back and the aerial cable was about six inches too short and all the cables were chased in to the wall. If this is what you are talking about, all you need is something like this and then the additional length. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29525 Mine works fine.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29525

Cheers, boss.

Might be getting out my depth as im not sure what that is. but i should do it as itll make much more sense that way. We're talking several feet more, mind.

"If that is what you are talking about"...yes, i think it is.

Anyone know why, when in the "reply" writing box, i cant copy and paste anymore...?

daveh75

If your gonna go down the route of just extending the lead's, instead using one of those type coupler's use one that's meant for the job like this. (you screw it into the f connector on the end of your existing cable, it then allows you to screw on an f connector "fly lead" onto that to extend the cable)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK.

out me depth now, and starting to break into a cold sweat. i didnt actually know literally extending it was possible, i was joking.

anyone know roughly waht it would cost (per metre) to get someone other than sky in?

Thanks folks.

A

Anonymous

al7478:
OK.

out me depth now, and starting to break into a cold sweat. i didnt actually know literally extending it was possible, i was joking.

anyone know roughly waht it would cost (per metre) to get someone other than sky in?

Thanks folks.

Just get one of these.
long sky lead

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
al7478:
OK.

Thanks folks.

Al, do it yourself - it's really easy (I did it and I'm useless at DIY). The connector the other guy mentioned is actually the one I used - I couldn't remember the name for it.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Might well do that. how flexible do you think th ewire is? it has to go about 6 metres (but i may go 7 to be safe), and bend at least twice. it has to go past french doors so i could just take it straight past or bend it in...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
al7478:Might well do that. how flexible do you think th ewire is? it has to go about 6 metres (but i may go 7 to be safe), and bend at least twice. it has to go past french doors so i could just take it straight past or bend it in...

Depends on which one you go for - I used this: It's fairly sturdy but quite flexible. 7m will be about £35.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/825/qed-pro-custom-aerial-cable/display.html

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:al7478:Might well do that. how flexible do you think th ewire is? it has to go about 6 metres (but i may go 7 to be safe), and bend at least twice. it has to go past french doors so i could just take it straight past or bend it in... Depends on which one you go for - I used this: It's fairly sturdy but quite flexible. 7m will be about £35. http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/825/qed-pro-custom-aerial-cable/display.html

OK cheers. had dth edumb idea that i was hobsons choice with the cable
emotion-10.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
al7478:
Gerrardasnails:al7478:Might well do that. how flexible do you think th ewire is? it has to go about 6 metres (but i may go 7 to be safe), and bend at least twice. it has to go past french doors so i could just take it straight past or bend it in... Depends on which one you go for - I used this: It's fairly sturdy but quite flexible. 7m will be about £35. http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/825/qed-pro-custom-aerial-cable/display.html

emotion-10.gif

Come on Al, this is the world of AV!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:al7478:

emotion-10.gif

Ahem. Yes indeed
emotion-10.gif

Now, i notice that cabl eisnt given the same name as that blue stuff on amazon (one is aerial cable, i think, the other goes by its more technical name, i think - male to mail something to something...). Could someone tell me the different names it may be known as, so i can have a bit more of a search. i dont wanna start anything, but im happy to settle for a good compromise between cheap and flexible, with the latter taking slight priority...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
al7478:Gerrardasnails:al7478:

emotion-10.gif

Ahem. Yes indeed
emotion-10.gif

Now, i notice that cabl eisnt given the same name as that blue stuff on amazon (one is aerial cable, i think, the other goes by its more technical name, i think - male to mail something to something...). Could someone tell me the different names it may be known as, so i can have a bit more of a search. i dont wanna start anything, but im happy to settle for a good compromise between cheap and flexible, with the latter taking slight priority...

I would search under satellite or aerial cable and remember you will need it to have the screw type F connector.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:al7478:Gerrardasnails:al7478:

emotion-10.gif

Ahem. Yes indeed
emotion-10.gif

I would search under satellite or aerial cable and remember you will need it to have the screw type F connector.

Thanks. is that all? i get a length of cable, that connector. use the connector to connect the new wrire to the old, and stick the other end in my sky box? will any wire of that type work with the stuff i already have from sky, regardless of differences in thickness etc...?

think that may be a dumb question but i cant get up to the dish, so if i have to replace the whole lot, ill have to get a bloke in anyway.

sorry folks. hope im making sense and can end this one soon.

daveh75

Yes it's just a case of screwing one end of the adaptor into your existing cable, then the other end of the adaptor into one end of the new length of cable, then the other end of that cable into the input on the Sky box, Any cable will work as long as it's satellite/digital cable regardless of thickness etc. FWIW I'd take a look at this cable.( About halfway down the page) Its available in six colours, they will cut it to length and supply/fit the "f" connectors for you.

Wf100 is good quality double screened(CAI approved) cable that is meant for satellite/digital installations and is slightly better speced than the stuff sky use and what most good installers will use.

EDIT- you didn't mention what type of Sky box you have, but if it's SKY+ or +HD it will have two feeds/cable's so you'll need two cable's.....sorry if this is obvious!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:

Yes it's just a case of screwing one end of the adaptor into your existing cable, then the other end of the adaptor into one end of the new length of cable, then the other end of that cable into the input on the Sky box, Any cable will work as long as it's satellite/digital cable regardless of thickness etc. FWIW I'd take a look at this cable.( About halfway down the page) Its available in six colours, they will cut it to length and supply/fit the "f" connectors for you.

Wf100 is good quality double screened(CAI approved) cable that is meant for satellite/digital installations and is slightly better speced than the stuff sky use and what most good installers will use.

any point getting beter spec stuff if im atachinng it to the sky rubbish? im just thinking out loud now tho really, as i think you have made it all quite clear. thanks very much, one and all.

im off now to discuss this with someone who will be helping, and will report back.

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
One option would be to buy a faceplate and cut the existing cable back to the faceplate, then run a cable from the faceplate to your box. Looks a lot neater than having extended cables.

A

Anonymous

I'm about to do the same thing, and I've decided to try the DIY route. So, I'm about to order some of these...

Sky+ twin cable extension
90§ F-Socket adaptors
7mm hole tidy grommets

The merchant makes various extension cable lengths, as you'd expect.

I'm presuming the "Signal Quality" meter on my Sky box won't suffer any major differences... even if it does, I haven't wasted too much cash. I strongly suspect I won't see any negative change in picture quality... and I'll even have a tidier solution than the half-bothered "drill hole, job done" effort the official Sky installers did in the first place. The "pros" didn't even bother with grommets for the hole in the wooden window frame, let alone tidy the cable route or install faceplates. They were out the door before I could even inspect their handiwork. In fact, I think the aerial install I did for my treehouse at age 14 would've set too high a benchmark for them. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts