Fuzzy sound from Rega Planar 2

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Just purchased a s/h Rega Planar 2. First time i played it for 30sec just to test it worked it all sounded fine. Sat down for my first proper session with it and as i lowered the arm it skipped across the record and now plays with a fuzzy distorted sound..

I've tried re balancing the arm but with no joy, very new to all this any tips on what to do next? It's not seen use for a while so could probably do with a service or even a new cartridge but in no way competant enough to start messing with too much.

Any help would be most appreciated

It is possible that the stylus is covered in dust / muck and simply needs a clean.

If you do not own the correct type of brush for this or you are unable to set tracking weight correctly (there are plenty of threads on here as to how to do this) or if you do not feel confident adjusting your deck in any way then get it to a dealerwho can advise regards set-up / servicing.

It will pay you to do this and as you appear to have no idea how old the cartridge is then purchasing a new one should give you some confidence that the old one is not actually damaging your record collection.

Servicing is very simple generally and you will not necessarily have to pay a huge amount for a new cartridge.

I would strongly suggest you get a new drive-belt fitted and if the motor itself is fine there is little else to go wrong with a Planar 2.

Balancing an arm is simple and requires playing with the position of the counterweight. It is the alignment of the cartridge and setting correct tracking weight that is the tricky bit. Do you have any knowledgeable friends / family members that could assist?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

I've given the stylus a clean and re set the tone arm but still no better.

Now looking for someone to take a look at it/install new cartridge. Anyone now a good dealer in the either Chichester or Portsmouth area?

This might all have to wait a while though, i'm skint after buying the TT. Serves me right for impulse buying a turntable i can't really afford

A

Anonymous

Welcome to the madhouse and turntable hell.

As has been said not much to a rega. I'm sure there will be someone close to help.

Try buying a new cart too

Amazon AT95E £33

Not the best but VFM for the price if funds are low.

Good luck as said can't be much wrong with it and very simple to work on.

Do some internet searches and you will see

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Audio T, London Road, Portsmouth are Rega dealers, they fit a new cart and set it up for you!

Dont worry, a year ago I didn't have a clue about TTs but you soon learn!

2 great records shops in Pompey too!

Come back and tell us how you get on!

Milo_Myage said:
Thanks for the reply

I've given the stylus a clean and re set the tone arm but still no better.

Now looking for someone to take a look at it/install new cartridge. Anyone now a good dealer in the either Chichester or Portsmouth area?

This might all have to wait a while though, i'm skint after buying the TT. Serves me right for impulse buying a turntable i can't really afford

There is an Audio T dealership in both Portsmouth and Southampton if that is any use.

Oops stevebrock beat me to it!

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Looks like Audio T it is. Exactly where i was going to buy a new RP1 until i was seduced by this one, still even with a new cart this was still the cheaper option by some way.

A

Anonymous

Milo_Myage said:
Looks like Audio T it is. Exactly where i was going to buy a new RP1 until i was seduced by this one, still even with a new cart this was still the cheaper option by some way.

And a better table some would say the P2 that is

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Dropping it in for a service and new cart on Thursday, 1st day off i've had since i got it. Feels like its been ages, feel a bit like a kid just before Christmas the excitment is killing me.

Just out of interest how much is one of these worth? I've been watching a few more on eBay just to see if i over paid and they've been going for well over what i forked out.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Well just over 6 weeks since i bought it i finally have it back and sounding great (it would have been much faster but GTA V has occupied all my free time)

Massive thanks toeveryone here and the guys at Audio T in Portsmouth, very helpful indeed.

Next up is an amp upgrade, i hear ebay calling again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts