Frozen DACMagic!

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone has come across a frozen DACMagic before? I bought it yesterday and was trying (unsuccessfully) to get it working last night. It ended up freezing so I switched off and on (and repeat to fade), but it remains stuck on the same settings as it was last on.

Dodgy unit? Dodgy user? Anyone?

Anyone know if there's a way to totally reboot the unit (apart from the on/off thing)?

Cheers

Ears

A

Anonymous

What happens when you press the other two buttons on the front panel?

A

Anonymous

As you press the buttons the blue lights should cycle through the options for filters and inputs.

If this doesnt happen then it looks like you've got a dud. Which is a dead dac.

You will have no problem getting RS to change it (if they have any stock!)

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
It was indeed a dead DAC. I took it in to the incredulous Richer Sounds staff, who had never heard of anything like it, but immediately replaced it for me after realising I wasn't a mentalist. They were good enough to test the next unit in the shop before I tested it. Interestingly, it was the next DACMagic off the production line (next serial number up).

That was dead too!

The RS staff were gobsmacked, but very decently whipped another one from out the back. That works nicely, and was a doddle to get up and running. Nice to know I'm not a total idiot.

Well, mostly not.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
EarsEarsEars:
Interestingly, it was the next DACMagic off the production line (next serial number up).

That was dead too!

Looks like there might be a dodgy batch of DACmagics,wonder if all the stock went to one shop or has been spread throughout the chain?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
heystak:What happens when you press the other two buttons on the front panel?

Review of the differences to your CD/amp combo please heystack

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
heystak:What happens when you press the other two buttons on the front panel?

Review of the differences to your CD/amp combo please heystack

ÿ

Hi Joel
I have posted one or two comments in other threads saying initial listening puts the CD192 slightly ahead of the DAC / computer setup. But testing continues.

I will post a full "review" soon.

What has impressed me is the quality of sound using Spotify through the DAC and the way tracks played on my Squeezebox or Spotify are "scrobbled" by last.fm which then suggests tracks from the lastfm library and these can then be streamed to my hi-fi. Again the sound quality is excellent.

The convenience and versatility of squeezebox / spotify / lastfm / computer based music and the way they can all be integrated together is a real bonus.

This is probably old hat to most people but for a 40something who is not IT savvy I get more impressed the more I use my new kit.

A

Anonymous

heystak:What has impressed me is the quality of sound using Spotify through the DAC and the way tracks played on my Squeezebox or Spotify are "scrobbled" by last.fm which then suggests tracks (which I dont own from the lastfm library) and these can then be streamed to my hi-fi. Again the sound quality is excellent.The convenience and versatility of squeezebox / spotify / lastfm / computer based music and the way they can all be integrated together is a real bonus.This is probably old hat to most people but for a 40something who is not IT savvy I get more impressed the more I use my new kit.

It is good to see last.fm being mentioned on here, fantastic service. I've logged 16k odd tracks with them over the years, would be more but the iPod scrobbling was flaky for a while. The recommendations are amazing.

Plus you can make pretty and clever visualisations like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gavinbell/sets/72157612236215252/

Which shows all the artists I've listened to in 2008

Whenever I play CDs I feel like I'm missing out...

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Last.fm is ok but I noticed the bit rate is only 32k.

It is actually 128k AAC, http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/527094

Still not that brill, but it is free without ads.

Spotify is approx 160k ogg vorbis

I'll try radio paradise.

though the recommendations on last fm I use to drive purchases, so the fact that it is lowish rates is ok with me, if I like it I'll buy it.

at 128k it is about the same as dab radio

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts