FRONT SPEAKER SETTING LARGE OR SMALL

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Large normally means that they can reach frequency respones under 80 Hz without the speaker getting damaged. Normally you want to use all the potential of your speaker so, if you speakers are bookshelf (not satellites) and they can reach under 80Hz you should leave as large. You only set them up as small when they are actually small (satelites normally) and could get damaged if they get the full fequency range. Even if you have a sub, you should leave them a large and set the crossover at 80Hz. This is my opinion anyway.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What the Audyssey system reads it as will depend on room placement. If they're close to a wall, they can trick the EQ into thinking they're much bigger than they are. Almost all bookshelf speakers should be set to small, with a crossover point of no lower than about 80Hz. Obviously there will be a few exceptions to this, but not within most people's budgets.

A

Anonymous

i have my rears.. monitor audio br1s . set to large , is this wrong ??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Max - there are a lot of variables here, and it's going to be down to how verstile your amplifier set up is - some amps you can choose individual crossover points for each speaker, some you can only choose a single crossover point for all speakers. In your case, I'd set all of your speakers to small, with a crossover point of about 70Hz for the BR5's, 100Hz for the BR1's and BRLCR. You could try 90Hz for the latter.

A

Anonymous

cheers david , my yam rxv765 seems to only have one crossover option for everything , its currently set to 80hz , although after auto tuning the yam , it was 60hz ..i thought that was too low ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:cheers david , my yam rxv765 seems to only have one crossover option for everything , its currently set to 80hz , although after auto tuning the yam , it was 60hz ..i thought that was too low ?

If you can only set one, 80Hz should be pretty safe. In cases like this, you have to take into account the smallest (or weakest) speaker in the setup, and set it to a frequency suitable for that speaker. You could set the BR5's to large, but the combination of sub and front speakers receiving all the bass never works for me, it just never sounds right.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lussen:thanks.my speaker are close to the wall.i think i should set it to small n set freq to 80hz.thanks for the info

Which speakers do you have? I personally wouldn't set any small bookshelf speakers to anything less than 80Hz, sometimes higher if it's a bass driver is smaller than 6".

A

Anonymous

i have the br5s set to large , but in the "LFE/BASS OUT" setting , ive got subwoofer selected ?

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
The other advice i've heard is that, if you have a good powerful, well integrated, sub (which I'd read as one that you're not overdriving - have adjusted down from the '12 o'clock' position you're advised to do your set up in) then you should set all your speakers to small even if they are capable of going low.
The advantage here is that you take the load off your amp. My Sony is theoretically rated at 7x100w but the max power consumption is only 360W so there's no way it can actually deliver anything like 700w. For peaks in multichannel sound it risks running out of steam. My sub is 300w by itself - taking the bass load off the Sony Amp should mean the whole system has more impact when it needs it.

If you're running a system with huge power amps, or a massively powerful integrated amp, that can actually deliver peak power comfortably then setting speakers to large probably does work better. For the rest of us, even if it sounds slightly better set at large at low volumes, peak performance will be better at small.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
What the Audyssey system reads it as will depend on room placement. If they're close to a wall, they can trick the EQ into thinking they're much bigger than they are.

Audyssey has nothing to do with seting up the speakers size , thise is one thing that is decided by the amp. it self and their manufacturer...no matter where you place your speakers , you can run Audyssey or any auto calibration as many time as you want, and the size result it will be the same, if your amp. can detect your speakers responding at about 40HZ and below , then it,s going to set that speaker to LARGE. but thise is not realy recommanded, as in the real world all speaker distort at some point when playing deep bass. so unless you know that you have a speakers that can play flat all down to about 35-30HZ only then set it LARGE otherwise everything should be set to SMALL if you want to gain more performance qaulity from your speakers and amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've run auto set ups a few times, one after another, with the same speakers and amp, and got different results regarding the crossover point. I don't think classing any KEF KHT3005 speakers as large is anywhere near correct!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
I've run auto set ups a few times, one after another, with the same speakers and amp, and got different results regarding the crossover point. I don't think classing any KEF KHT3005 speakers as large is anywhere near correct!
emotion-1.gif

Ok -Though It sounds to me as if you have had a Faulty bass management in the amp. or a faulty bass responds from within the speakers it self. or maybe even something abnormal about the room acoustics that is changing the bass responds everytime...

And by the way i woudn,t even classify my Focal chorus 826v floorstander speakers as LARGE in the setup
emotion-1.gif

Normaly i just cross all speakers at 80HZ and let the subwoofer handel the deep bass that is what they are there for
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Dose this count for Center speakers as well? , Just set up my Qacoustic 5.1 and its put my front two speakers as small and my center as large , do i leave it as large ?

A

Anonymous

ahh cool cheers , sorry to hijack the other chaps thread but , should i put the subwoofer in main or lfe or both? im well lost the denon manual is uncomprehensable really.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Just LFE, or sub only, depending how the amplifier describes it. Both is more for when you're using large, very capable floorstanders, but I never seem to be able to get good enough results this way.

lussen

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
ive run auto set again n get same result front n centre it say large now i set to small.dont have spl meter to check chanel level i use what audyssey get from auto set up is that correct.denon1910+ms aviano2 front =aviano 5cntre sr avant903i =sub impact10

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts