Front height or surround back for 5.1?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Deciding between both. Pros and cons of each setup? Installation would be a lot easier for front heights though and look less messy. Don't know if there's much content for for front heights though

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Depends on receiver since any front height signal is conjoured from within.

the receiver is Sony str-dn1040 also the HD-DCS sound mode seems to work well with front heights as it mentions using the seutp in the description as it mentions about helicopter sound coming from top speakers down to left+right slowly which seems cool. and other things too

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Robbin Kidderminster is right, the front hight channels is just the amp sending some audio to them. There are no movies with Matrixed or Descrete channels for front hights. Of course the manual will descibe the thing with the helicopter as it's a way of justefying the gimmic. I'm not saying front hights don't add a little hight deffinition but if you 4 surrounds are slightly above your head hight when sat in your viewing position sounds that are meant to be above you will be. How do you think it works in the cinema. Most cinemas don't have ceiling speakers as the speakers ar above you anyway.

If you are moving your viewing position closer to your TV, you can put your surrounds either side of you or as close as, depending on windows an so on and the SRBs can go behind you. You will get a much better surround field with fronts, surrounds and surround backs than you will fronts, surround and front hights.

As others have said really. Think of front heights only after you have a proper 7.1 system. For 5.1, go for side surrounds. After that, 7.1 with rear surrounds (which then guarantees every film coded in 5.1 or 7.1 is correctly sent to the speakers). And only then, for 9.1, think of front heights (although I would prefer Dolby Atmos at this stage).

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
As others have said really. Think of front heights only after you have a proper 7.1 system. For 5.1, go for side surrounds. After that, 7.1 with rear surrounds (which then guarantees every film coded in 5.1 or 7.1 is correctly sent to the speakers). And only then, for 9.1, think of front heights (although I would prefer Dolby Atmos at this stage).

Side surrounds aren't easily implemented in my living room. I'll try link a photo so you can see why

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
fF5m41O.jpg
mFHXZHf.jpg

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
PLEASE whf - sort out these photos.

Sorry I misread. For 5.1 no contest. For 7.1 maybe, but unlikely. At worst if rears are difficult to accomodate I would look for small satellites on skeletol stands rather than front heights. Oldboy (here when he is not napping) recons front heights expanded the front soundstage but he has a very decent 7.1 setup and 9.2 receiver. I tried front heights in a 7.1 setup admitedly only half heartedly but found little extra.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
PLEASE whf - sort out these photos.

Sorry I misread. For 5.1 no contest. For 7.1 maybe, but unlikely. At worst if rears are difficult to accomodate I would look for small satellites on skeletol stands rather than front heights. Oldboy (here when he is not napping) recons front heights expanded the front soundstage but he has a very decent 7.1 setup and 9.2 receiver. I tried front heights in a 7.1 setup admitedly only half heartedly but found little extra.

how much would a pair of those stands be for small satellites such as the minx min11? if i moved my sofa forward about 2 feet i could have room for stands behind me and wouldnt need to wall mount them which could work. if i was in a proper house with a bigger living room i would get a 7.1 setup for sure but since space is tight and room is awkward layout i can't accomadate the 7.1 :( if i got a projector in the future i may have to sell my bookshelves and get a pair of satellites as surely the projector screen would be blocked by the speakers on stands which you can see in photo. not making any decisions yet but i dont fancy sitting 4-5ft from tv and from 12ft away 46" picture is a bit small. (drifted the topic sorry :p)

F

FunkyMonkey

My opinion is to have 5.1 with height speakers. 5.1 is plenty in an average living room, but the height speakers gets you ready for Dolby Atmos. So just read up how to implement overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos in the home.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
My opinion is to have 5.1 with height speakers. 5.1 is plenty in an average living room, but the height speakers gets you ready for Dolby Atmos. So just read up how to implement overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos in the home.

Not much point as Nugget's amp doesn't suport Dolby Atmos so won't read the Codec on any BD carrying Dolby Atmos. For the size of his room and speaker layout restrictions, hights won't really make any difference

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
FunkyMonkey said:

Not much point as Nugget's amp doesn't suport Dolby Atmos so won't read the Codec on any BD carrying Dolby Atmos. For the size of his room and speaker layout restrictions, hights won't really make any difference

is there any wireless satellite speakers that I could use it surround?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
nugget2014 said:

Sorry mate I've never looked into any wireless speakers so I wouldn't know. Seriously for your first surround sound set up I would keep it simple. Get to know and understand the tech. It's great that you have asked so many questions and you've had lots of responce. No offence as it's what the site is for but you seem to be trying to run before you can walk.

Don't take it from me it's just an opinion. You have a nice amp and a nice set of fronts. Your room is a little restrictive which is not your fault. ao you need to get the rest of your set up and learn to get the best out of it. When you get yourself a nice mantion then get what you like.

Again I don't mean to tell you what to do, it's just an observation. Tech is moving on so quick it's hard to keep up.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
nugget2014 said:

Sorry mate I've never looked into any wireless speakers so I wouldn't know. Seriously for your first surround sound set up I would keep it simple. Get to know and understand the tech. It's great that you have asked so many questions and you've had lots of responce. No offence as it's what the site is for but you seem to be trying to run before you can walk.

Don't take it from me it's just an opinion. You have a nice amp and a nice set of fronts. Your room is a little restrictive which is not your fault. ao you need to get the rest of your set up and learn to get the best out of it. When you get yourself a nice mantion then get what you like.

Again I don't mean to tell you what to do, it's just an observation. Tech is moving on so quick it's hard to keep up.

Been contemplating if I should move setup to other side of room where radiator is but would having cables there be an issue? Could have them separate more for a better soundstage and have room for sub in corner. Although I would have to re arranged whole room!

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Been contemplating if I should move setup to other side of room where radiator is but would having cables there be an issue? Could have them separate more for a better soundstage and have room for sub in corner. Although I would have to re arranged whole room!

It's more the speakers you have to worry about being near the radiator. The cables can run along the floor against the wall. Is the radiator in the middle of the wall or to one side? You could put the system in the corner furthest away form the radiator if it's nearer the window wall with the TV looking diagonaly into the room.

Give it a go. When I first moved into my flat my set up was in the corner like that.

If you do it though and the rad is not in the way I would put the speakers infront of the face of the TV instead of either side. TVs and speakers shouldn't be too close together.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
nugget2014 said:

It's more the speakers you have to worry about being near the radiator. The cables can run along the floor against the wall. Is the radiator in the middle of the wall or to one side? You could put the system in the corner furthest away form the radiator if it's nearer the window wall with the TV looking diagonaly into the room.

Give it a go. When I first moved into my flat my set up was in the corner like that.

If you do it though and the rad is not in the way I would put the speakers infront of the face of the TV instead of either side. TVs and speakers shouldn't be too close together.

radiator is in middle of the wall.

buzz_lightclick

I have a similar dilemma. Thinking of going from 5.1 to 7.1 Monitor Audio Apex speakers. With my layout my rear speakers are to the sides of my sofa, which is right up against the back wall of my living room. Therefore I cannot accommodate rear back speakers unless they were attached to the wall and pointing vertically down to my head, which is impractical, therefore it will be front heights or nothing. The advantage of front heights is that they will require far shorter lengths of speaker cable than backs would, as my receiver is below my TV. If you do a search on here or AV Forums you will see there are many members who have been impressed with the results of adding front heights, so I don't think you should dismiss the idea out of hand, despite what others have said.

buzz_lightclick said:
I have a similar dilemma. Thinking of going from 5.1 to 7.1 Monitor Audio Apex speakers. With my layout my rear speakers are to the sides of my sofa, which is right up against the back wall of my living room. Therefore I cannot accommodate rear back speakers unless they were attached to the wall and pointing vertically down to my head, which is impractical, therefore it will be front heights or nothing. The advantage of front heights is that they will require far shorter lengths of speaker cable than backs would, as my receiver is below my TV. If you do a search on here or AV Forums you will see there are many members who have been impressed with the results of adding front heights, so I don't think you should dismiss the idea out of hand, despite what others have said.

At least you have a 5.1 first. Would you consider front heights with a 3.1 setup?

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:

At least you have a 5.1 first. Would you consider front heights with a 3.1 setup?

No, surround backs/sides or nothing.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:

I think BB was pointing out that nugget only has 3.1 currently so the fact some of us have suggested he gets surrounds over front heights is because there would be no real benifit from them without surrounds.

How long is you viewing room and how far are you from your screen and what size is your screen?

buzz_lightclick

Glacialpath said:
buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:

I think BB was pointing out that nugget only has 3.1 currently so the fact some of us have suggested he gets surrounds over front heights is because there would be no real benifit from them without surrounds.

How long is you viewing room and how far are you from your screen and what size is your screen?

Yep I think I missed the fact he only has 3.1 currently - thought he was looking to go from 5.1 to 7.1.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts