From wireless to wired streaming

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I currently stream wirelessly to my Unitilite from a WD NAS that is wired to my BT Home Hub. Also connected to the BT hub is a Sonos bridge. The hub, NAS and bridge are in the study, two rooms away from the lounge where the Unitilite and LS50s live.

Full wired ethernet connection is not option but I am aware that Naim, and many here, recommend a wired connection for stability and SQ. I have read various threads here and elsewhere about the various options - switches, mains plugs, etc - but am a bit confused.

1. A gigabit switch seems a cost effective option but is there a real benefit? Under this approach is the switch connected to the BT Hub and the NAS and the bridge plugged into the switch which then talks to the Unitilite?

2. Is there an option (and is there any advantage) to create an Ethernet connection with a device directly into the Unitilite and connect to the NAS wirelessly from it?

Apologies if these queries are basic and any feedback/experience would be greatly appreciated.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If I have read your post correctly - Your NAS and SONOS bridge are connected to your HUB. If you add a SWITCH, then the SWITCH will be connected to your HUB - with the NAS and SONOS connected to the SWITCH. This is effectively the same network - but just with a SWITCH in between. So I cannot see the benefit?

Where the switch would be useful is when you have a long ethernet cable connection between the HUB and another room, where you then fit a SWITCH that connects to a number of devices (eg NAS, network enabled receiver, bluray etc). I've done this - HUB - long 15m ethernet cable to music room - SWITCH - connected to receiver and bluray, and another 10m ethernet cable running to another room connected to my desktop computer. Also have a SONOS bridge connected to the HUB, with my desktop computer used as the SONOS controller. Basically everything linked by wired connections.

If you cannot run an ethernet cable to your lounge - why not try a pair of HOMEPLUGs. You would need to plug one into an electrical socket near your HUB - connect plug to HUB with the (usually) supplied ethernet cable. The other plug into another electrical socket near your UNITILITE with another ethernet cable connected between the plug and the UNITILITE. I've only tried homeplugs recently for my father (connecting a Sony bluray in a bedroom) but it seems to work fine so far (streaming Lovefilm). Maybe others who have used a homeplug for streaming music can add to this.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
calpark46 said:
I currently stream wirelessly to my Unitilite from a WD NAS that is wired to my BT Home Hub. Also connected to the BT hub is a Sonos bridge. The hub, NAS and bridge are in the study, two rooms away from the lounge where the Unitilite and LS50s live.

Full wired ethernet connection is not option but I am aware that Naim, and many here, recommend a wired connection for stability and SQ.

Stability yes, SQ, no, it makes no difference.

I have read various threads here and elsewhere about the various options - switches, mains plugs, etc - but am a bit confused.

1. A gigabit switch seems a cost effective option but is there a real benefit? Under this approach is the switch connected to the BT Hub and the NAS and the bridge plugged into the switch which then talks to the Unitilite?

There's no difference here, the Unitilite is still talking directly to the BT Hub using wireless. Ignore the Sonos Bridge in all this, it plays no part in the communcation between the NAS and the Unitilite.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you experienced any problems so far? I mean: drop-outs, caused by buffering problems. If not, don't bother.

But if you have stability issues, IME the Sonos mesh is more robust and reliable than my wifi-network. So it might be sensible to get a Sonos Connect and plug it into your Unitilite.

Another thought: is it feasible to move your NAS and connect it straight into the Unitilite, with a UTP-cable? Or do you use it for other duties (except music) too?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
DocG said:
Have you experienced any problems so far? I mean: drop-outs, caused by buffering problems. If not, don't bother.

But if you have stability issues, IME the Sonos mesh is more robust and reliable than my wifi-network. So it might be sensible to get a Sonos Connect and plug it into your Unitilite.

Homeplugs would be a much simpler and cheaper route though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
DocG said:

Or a Sonos Bridge, add it as another wireless component to the existing Sonos system, wire the Unitilite's network to it and use the Sonosnet that way, certainly wouldn't see the point of using a Connect for that.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
professorhat said:
DocG said:

Or a Sonos Bridge, add it as another wireless component to the existing Sonos system, wire the Unitilite's network to it and use the Sonosnet that way, certainly wouldn't see the point of using a Connect for that.

I have personally had problems with homeplugs, more than once.
But I agree with The_Lhc, that a Bridge would be good enough for the purpose. I stand corrected.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for your helpful replies.

My network is reasonably stable and I haven't had too many problems with buffering or drop-outs while playing music, although I do have to reboot the Unitilite fairly frequently.

If I'm not going to gain anything from a SQ point of view there seems little sense in either diving into something or spending too much, although the Sonos bridge solution sounds interesting, given the modest outlay and the ability to tap into the Sonos network, leaving the BT Hub to concentrate on internet/wi-fi duties.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts