Freeview PVR

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am presently using a sony RDR-HXD710 and would like to upgrade it to a HDMI upscaling machine.I also have sky HD and yes i do use both boxes as a lot of the programs i watch are clumped around the same time periods.I originally bought the sony for its dvd recording to arcive all my vidio cassettes.Since then i havent really used it.So there are two machines i am interested in,namely the sony RDR-HXD 970 and the Topfield TF 5810 PVR.The one thing i really miss on freeview is the series link facillity and i do not think either of these machines has it. So my question is what other ones should i be looking at?

A

Anonymous

The Sony has Series record
thumbsup4kk.gif

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3411

You have not told us what your TV is?, the newer ones already upscale.

A

Anonymous

This should give you some information on what your TV is capable of

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2006/09/30/Sony-Bravia-KDL-46X2000-46in-LCD-TV/p1

John Duncan

[quote user="JCR1"]The Sony has Series record[/quote]

Are you sure? I thought series link was passed (or not, in the case of Freeview, this being my point) through the EPG - you can set up machines (I have the Humax) to repeat recordings, but it doesn't recognise a series per se, so won't necessarily record episodes correctly if they move in the schedule. That's just my understanding.

A

Anonymous

Hi.I dont expect series link to be as slick as sky+/HD and recognise change of time slot.I have also found coflicting imformation on the Sony rdr-hxd 970 .One site i have been to says it has twin tuners. Any body know for sure?

A

Anonymous

JD...I was merely going by the sites that I looked at which do quote that the Sony has series link capability, I do not own a Sony, I am a Panasonic man myself.

David...re twin tuners...it just means with the Sony that it has a digital and an anologue tuner.

John Duncan

[quote user="david bailey"]Hi.I dont expect series link to be as slick as sky+/HD and recognise change of time slot.[/quote]

Well, the facility for information to be sent for changing time slot *is* available through the EPG, though that information is not always sent by the broadcasters - whether or not the "link" facility is available is hit or miss when you set a programme. But for series record through Freeview, you have to rely on your recorder having a facility to do something clever (or somehting trivial, like record the same time slot every week in perpetuity). There is still talk of the EPG being upgraded to carry series link, but am not holding my breath.

John Duncan

And sorry, don't know the answer to the twin tuner question, will check after my meeting - there will almost certainly be an anlaogue tuner alongside the digital tuner at the very minimum, but I guess your question is does it have twin digital tuners.........

A

Anonymous

The Humax 9200T and later derivatives now have Series Link on the channels that broadcast the necessary data. This means that schedule changes are picked up and enables the recording of alternate instances where a clash occurs.

A

Anonymous

Here is some imformation on the Topfield TF5810 PVR,its a brand new machine so no reviews yet.This is bothersome as the TF5800 gets only three stars in this magazine due to picture quality.Although the new one is HDMI and upscaling to 1080i.

Perhaps the most important aspect of Freeview Playback is the series record, or series link, feature. Just highlight a programme in the EPG, press Record and for many, you'll be asked if you want to record the whole series or not. If you do, just press OK, and the PVR will automatically set a timer for each episode.

It's even more clever than that, though - if there are programmes that clash, it will offer to record an alternate showing of a programme, and if the times change, it will notice that too. And if there's a programme split in half , like a film with the news in the middle of it, recording the first part will automatically record the second as well.

John Duncan

[quote user="Mr_Orange"]The Humax 9200T and later derivatives now have Series Link on the channels that broadcast the necessary data. This means that schedule changes are picked up and enables the recording of alternate instances where a clash occurs.[/quote]

Mine doesn't appear to. Is it a firmware upgrade?

John Duncan

[quote user="david bailey"]Here is some imformation on the Topfield TF5810 PVR,its a brand new machine so no reviews yet.This is bothersome as the TF5800 gets only three stars in this magazine due to picture quality.Although the new one is HDMI and upscaling to 1080i.

Perhaps the most important aspect of Freeview Playback is the series record, or series link, feature. Just highlight a programme in the EPG, press Record and for many, you'll be asked if you want to record the whole series or not. If you do, just press OK, and the PVR will automatically set a timer for each episode.

It's even more clever than that, though - if there are programmes that clash, it will offer to record an alternate showing of a programme, and if the times change, it will notice that too. And if there's a programme split in half , like a film with the news in the middle of it, recording the first part will automatically record the second as well.[/quote],p>

I understood that the orriginal Freeview Playback EPG spec included series link but it had been shelved and hadn't yet been implemented - has this now changed?

And of course, this requires broadcasters to send a SeriesID or equivalent for the clever 'alternate slot' bit to work - and I'm not convinced we do that, even now. I'll ask the EPG boys............

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Mr_Orange"]The Humax 9200T and later derivatives now have Series Link on the channels that broadcast the necessary data. This means that schedule changes are picked up and enables the recording of alternate instances where a clash occurs.[/quote]

Mine doesn't appear to. Is it a firmware upgrade?[/quote]

Yep. Version 1.00.21 is the latest. This has been broadcast OTA twice (at least), or you can download from Humax and update your box via serial cable. Get it from: http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/Download/products/PVR-9200T.asp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts