Freeview, Freesat dish aerials...

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
SiUK - Don't take this the wrong way but I suspect that one of the reasons for such an underwhelming response to your post is the brevity as anybody who has not experienced the same or similar issues would probably have no idea what you are talking about.

Firstly, are your problems related to the new Samsung UEF8000? As you might recall, I now have the same TV and have had a lot of problems with Freesat tuning and mssing channels when I try to feed the satellite signal to the TV via the passthrough from my Humax Foxsat HDR. After a lot of retunes, I simply cannot get all channels - rather I have either had most of the SD channels available OR most of the HD channels but never all at the same time. Interestingly, they do all appear in the EPG but all are not available for viewing. Every time that I do a Freesat retune, I get a message telling me that my postcade is invalid - I have tried other postcodes near me but nothing is recognised by the system. After playing around for a while, I came to the conclusion that the problems were caused by the signal strength being reduced because I was trying to pass the signal through the Humax Foxsat HDR. I therefore took one of the cables out of the back of the Humax and connected it to the TV (therefore feeding the satellite signal direct from the LNB to the TV) and it worked OK with the postcode recognised and all channels available. It would therefore seem that the solution is to feed the TV direct from the LNB / dish which is a shame as I now need to run two extra cables from high up on the outside wall of the house and down through the wall which is a real pain (although luckily I have got a quad LNB).

My Freeview is perfectly OK with all channels available (the feed is going via a Humax Youview box with no problems at all.

I am not sure what your reference to DAB/FM aerials is all about as they do not have anything to do with either Freeview of Freesat reception and I don't believe that the TV has a seperate DAB receiver.

As a sort of aside, I made several calls to Samsung support throughout all this and although the people that I spoke to were all very nice, they were ultimately useless when it came to solving the problems!!!

Hope this helps (and, indeed, makes some sense) and happy to fill in any gaps if you want to ask. I will keep an eye on this forum. Regards, Ayjaycee

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi

The above posts were originally long and detailed but I revisited them and edited them as there hadn't been any responses. I posted the details on a different forum instead.

Ignore the Dab/fm reference. I was considering diplexing a signal into the freeview cable for 3 rooms so I got an aerial installer in and he quoted me £320 fir the dab/fm system and £670 including freeview aerial. ..tw*t. So I did it myself. Aerial on the chimney was already feeding a pvr and the tv so I split that. Cost £35 for parts and half an hour to make up cables and fit in loft. 3 rooms now get freeview hd and dam/fm with no amp. 97% signal strength 100% signal quality. on all tvs

The freesat has been a nightmare. Got an installer in to fit new dish and shotgun cable straight to tv as we didn't have freesat already and have never had Sky. The local bloke left a ruddy mess and ultimately a bodged freesat install as 18 channels were missing. Visible on the freesat guide but weak signal message when trying to view. Told me it was the tv. Wouldn't come back and do anything without charging me more. Called out a different company and got them to move the dish from the back of the house to the chimney for clear line of sight. Still 18 channels missing. Phoned Samsung and they remote managed the tv but couldn't get it sorted so sent an engineer out. Engineers said it was a dish problem but they would replace the main board if I wanted. I said no and contacted the last installers who are coming back out on Monday.

Also spoke to John Lewis as well. They said they'd replace the tv if necessary. So that's an option. But it's frustrating having paid out twice and still no fully working freesat. Should have been a simple installation. Posted on my phone so scuse the errors. etc.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Si, I feel for you. When I first got a Freesat box back in 2009, it was my first experience with satellite (to this day, I refuse to put more money into the Murdoch coffers!) and after getting a couple of very high quotes for fitting and cabling the dish, I decided to go down the DIY route after much deliberation. Although not a complete numpty, I am no technical genius either but in the end, I decided to take the plunge and bought a cheap dish, cable and quad LNB kit from Amazon for £40 along with a 'Satellite Finder' (made by Konig) for another £8. Having done a bit of research on line, I took a compass fix on a couple of dishes on neighbours houses so that I would know the general direction that the dish should point and after that all I had to do was fix it to the wall and fine tune the direction using the satellite finder. Luckily, the wall had already been drilled by the previous owners for their satellite cable and so all I had to do was get the cable through the hole which was already in the right place. Five years on, things still work so I can't have done much wrong.

Trust me, if I can do the job, anybody should be able to, particularly a so called professional, and unless the TV really is faulty it should all be relatively easy to fix.

As I said earlier, I went through a process of elimination and concluded that my solution to add dedicated cabling for the TV rather than use the LNB passthrough in the Humax box and I am about to order it on line. Hopefully this task will be as simple as I think it will be!

Hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction. Let us know how you get on. I am waiting to get a bit mnore experience with the TV under my belt before publishing any further comments on it but my initial reactions are very good indeed. Regards, Ayjaycee

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Just a quick update. I ran a new shotgun (ie. double) cable from the LNB / satellite dish to the TV earlier today and the short version is that I now have all channels available on Freesat with the correct postcode accepted.

The only problem now is that there does not seem to be any way to reorder the Freesat channels as you can with the Freeview tuner. That really is a stupid ommission on the part of Samsung as HD channels are all over the place and nowhere near their SD counterparts in the channel order - BBCs 1 & 2 SD are at Channels 101 & 102 whereas the HD versions are at 108 & 109 which is bad enough but things start getting stupid when you look at the gaps between the other channels with both SD & HD transmissions like ITV, C4 and, worst of all, BBCs 3 & 4. Have I missed something significant or perhaps there is a technical reason why Freesat channels cannot be reordered which is outwith Samsungs control. Does anybody know anything about this. A solution would be really good as I regard it as a major pain in the rear.

daveh75

ayjaycee said:
Have I missed something significant or perhaps there is a technical reason why Freesat channels cannot be reordered which is outwith Samsungs control. Does anybody know anything about this. A solution would be really good as I regard it as a major pain in the rear.

Yes. Its not a technical issue, its a BBC/Freesat policy issue.

Though their is good and bad news on that front.

The good, they're going to implement an HD swap next year.

The bad news is the BBCs policy is to give the 'best' channel prominence on the EPG, and their definition of best.

Best is to give the nation, or region priority over PQ.

So as it stands at the moment BBC One HD will be swapped in Scotland, Wales an NI, but not England, we're going to be stuck with our SD regions on 101 as the BBC aren't about to launch 15 regional variants of BBC One HD.

BBC Two HD will get swapped in England, but not for the 3 other nations.

BBC 3, 4, Cbeebies, CBBC and News HD can all be swapped as they're not nation/regionalised

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Dave, You obviously know about this stuff so please bare with a further silly question. Are we talking about you and me having the ability to reorder the programmes or Freesat changing their order within the EPG (giving the ''best' channel prominence on the EPG' ?

TRENDING THREADS