FREESAT Vs SKY

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Have you seen the absolute rubbish that you would be watching on BBC HD this evening if indeed you had FREESAT.........Gardners World and some program about Frankie Howered....give us a titter missus!

Having said that I had to call SKY the other evening and got through to India....now there's a surprise.....and the so called technical chap at the other end of the phone who was actually being advised by another person in the background told me to turn off my SKY Box, wait 30 seconds, and turn it back on again to resolve my sticking pictures

Very hi tech and I told him that in so many words.

I've done this excercise in the past by myself to no avail when experiencing similar problems which were only finally resolved when I replaced my old LNB with a newer one.

Do these people at SKY actually paid for telling you a lot of rubbish...........How can they possibiliy fix a technical fault on your system over the telephone..............SKY customer services quite simply..........Suck

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sky, Virgin et all may appear to have some customer service issues (still nothing rivals the hell that was NTL, however, in my experience) , but who's to say Freesat will be any better?

As they're a subscription-free service, you're not technically a customer.....which leaves you to call the retailer that sold you the box, as you can see here.

Oh, and to be fair to the Sky guy you got through to, with any hard-disk drive product the first thing you should always try on a fault appearing is a re-boot. OK, you could argue there shouldn't be a fault in the first place, but many (on this and other PVRs) is corrected, as with your PC, with a restart.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]Have you seen the absolute rubbish that you would be watching on BBC HD this evening if indeed you had FREESAT.........Gardners World and some program about Frankie Howered....give us a titter missus![/quote]

And the thing with David Walliams as Frankie Howerd was OK, if a little squirm-making for its hammy acting. But not as good as the one with Trevor Eve as Hughie Green in the same series, which was pure genius.'

Oh, and I won't hear a thing against Gardeners World - the most guilt-inducing progremme on TV.

A

Anonymous

This site's been up and running for as long as I can remember now

You can order the HUMAX FOXSAT and installation from here in go and they will include a 60cm High gain Dish.

Total for the FOXSAT box and installation £270.00 from an approved CAI installer

https://www.satalogue.com/section3/page2.htm

https://www.satalogue.com/section3/install.htm

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Personally I will be sticking with the Sky HD box, I do not over enjoy giving them well over £50 a month but being a Sport fan dont really have a choice. The best way to stop issues with the HDD causing picture freeze is to upgrade the HDD to a larger and More quiet unit.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]Personally I will be sticking with the Sky HD box, I do not over enjoy giving them well over £50 a month but being a Sport fan dont really have a choice.
[/quote]

Well..............I am getting FREESAT installed tomorrow....The HUMAX FOXSAT HD box and a new Low Noise 0.2db LNB as I already have a good 60cm Dish and the cable .

This means that tomorrow evening I have the glad task of telephoning SKY....somewhere in India.....and giving them notice of cancellation of my £38 a month subscription.

I don't watch that much sport and only got the SKY Sports package because my Son likes watching his favourite premiership club when they play, otherwise he doesn't watch any football at all. So....no reason to line the pockets of Rupert any more I say especially too as my wife and I only ever then switch over to watch the Free Channels.

No doubt SKY's cancellation department will try ever stop in the book to persuade me to stay with them but FREESAT's going in tomorrowand that's it.

SKY tends to have millions of us by the proverbials essentially because we let them.

My new HUMAX should pay for itself in 5 months

Meawnhile....By Bye SKY.............was it worth it all..............definitely not......and all those repeats no thanks!

The swines will of course be taking another £38 from me next month as you have give them 30 days notice after which they can quite frankly stick it where the SKY....sorry SUN don't shine

A

Anonymous

The killer question for me with regard to Freesat vs Sky is the 'user-interface' of Freesat boxes. To give Sky some credit, I love the ease of use of the Sky+ system. It's quick and responsive and so easy to use my Mum can use it without phoning me.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
nothing wrong with gardeners world.......its a hobby a lot of people partake in, we have in our garden the following at the mo bluberry plants, strawberry plants, raspberry plants, toms, rocket, leeks, cucumbers, runner beans ....... all in smallish area and pots :) EDIT: just started a gardening tips thread so feel free to add any little tips etc....!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="AndersUk"]The killer question for me with regard to Freesat vs Sky is the 'user-interface' of Freesat boxes. To give Sky some credit, I love the ease of use of the Sky+ system. It's quick and responsive and so easy to use my Mum can use it without phoning me.[/quote]

So far easy to use....only had it a couple of hours

The HUMAX is a tiny little thing but very effective.........a big leap forward for those who want to discard SKY subscription fees and all their terms and conditions thereof.........a pure plug in and play system...thank goodness

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]a big leap forward for those who want to discard SKY subscription fees and all their terms and conditions[/quote]

Apart from only two HD channels, the lack of recording, the frankly basic EPG...

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Tallyho"]a big leap forward for those who want to discard SKY subscription fees and all their terms and conditions[/quote]

Apart from only two HD channels, the lack of recording, the frankly basic EPG...
[/quote] which is why i will wait for a bit to see what happens :)

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

But this is what someone like I wants.........ain't nothing wrong with Basic.

I want to come home switch on FREESAT and watch it particularly as when I had SKY that's all I ever did

OK two HD channels at present but hopefully Channel 4 should follow in November and also Channel 5 soon and no doubt there will be others following suit very soon.

As for recording....I have never recorded anything from TV in my life........just not bothered....just want to switch on and see what's on at the time. Chances are you will catch a repeat anyway and SKY are the Kings for Repeats

Whats' wrong with the basic EPG............just click on List or Guide and choose the programme you want to watch...I mean what more do you want it do.........recite Shakespeare?

So....Duke Orsino....

If SKY TV be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
the appetite may sicken, and so die................of it's hefty subsription charges, complete boredoom and of the sheer number of repeats thereon

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]So....Duke Orsino....

If SKY TV be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
the appetite may sicken, and so die................of it's hefty subsription charges, complete boredoom and of the sheer number of repeats thereon[/quote]

Don't give up the day job.

A

Anonymous

Don't give up the day job.

[/quote]

Well after a few days away in the glorious lake district I'm afraid I have to go back to work proper on Monday unless of course my lottery numbers come up tomorrow

A

Anonymous

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
If you read the item description, it says it won't work with anything under a 90cm dish. It will be picking up the satellite channels from Albania, by the sounds of it. It's similar to India and Asia, I was watching live premiership (3pm Saturday) matches a couple of years back whilst I was in Goa. They're not tied into Sky, must've bought the rights for their region or something.

A

Anonymous

I think that the FOXSAT HD box for FREESAT is quite a revelation.

£150 for a piece of equipment which quite frankly exceeded my expectations in terms of picture quality on both SD and then there is of course BBD HD and ITV HD

The picture is a fraction softer on SD compared to SKY but it is marginal and the FOXSAT trounces SKY for it's rich colour presentation of programmes.........really vivid pictures on both SD and HD alike

The two silver stick on strips that go across the middle of the box are a bit flimsy and there have been reports of these coming away slightly at the edges.....still a small blob of glue will put that right. What also helps is having 60cm DISH ( no need to go any higher in size) coupled with and a good quality LOW NOISE LNB like the Inverto 0.2db which is guaranteed for 5 years

I'm now off to watch Austria V Germany on BBC HD for FREE

ITV have also told me that :

"As part of the commissioning process we are already talking to producers to ensure an increasing amount of our drama output is filmed in high definition"

Having said that when I asked them why they couldn't simply transmit all 4 of their SD channels in HD...period through other channels also called ITV2HD ITV3HD and ITV4 HD they said:

"We looked at the possibility of doing this but there was simply not enough satellite capacity with a UK centric beam to provide a duplicate HD version of ITV1 with its numerous regional variations nor would it have been economic to offer such a service even if the capacity had been available"

A

Anonymous

I don't think Freesat has Sky quaking in it's boots........with only 2 HD channels, including ITV (who watches ITV?!) it's a tightwads only option. If you are serious about getting a decent range of HD programming including sports and movies, Sky HD is the only real option. Yes it ain't cheap, but like everything else in life you get what you pay for.

Personally I would love to see a serious competitor to Sky as it might serve to drive costs down, but Freesat ain't it.

A

Anonymous

cloverleaf146:

I don't think Freesat has Sky quaking in it's boots........with only 2 HD channels, including ITV (who watches ITV?!) it's a tightwads only option. If you are serious about getting a decent range of HD programming including sports and movies, Sky HD is the only real option. Yes it ain't cheap, but like everything else in life you get what you pay for.

Personally I would love to see a serious competitor to Sky as it might serve to drive costs down, but Freesat ain't it.

At the end of the day it all boils sown to what you want out of television. I was paying £38 a month for SKY Sports which I hardly ever watched and then only because my young son wanted it to watch a few football games. All the other SKY channels showed repeat after repeat and much of it in my opinion was rot so rather than continue to line the pocket of Mr Murdoch the £38 a month will now go back into my pocket....as for FREESAT it suits me fine

As for driving down the cost of SKY..........well that could easily be done if millions of people were to cancel their subscriptions tomorrow.... TV should be a FREE FOR ALL medium .I was paying £456 a year to SKY and on top of that there's the £144 a year BBC Licence fee......so £600 a year to watch rubbish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts