Fostex: HP-P1 - review (portable i-device DAC & headphone amplifier)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys, I hope you all had a nice Christmas! Happy New Year (for tonight).

I just finished writing a review for the Fostex portable iPhone/iPod DAC and headphone amplifier - the HP-P1.

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/fostex-hp-p1-review.html

I usually post my DAC/amp reviews in the DAC section, but I have decided that here is probably a better place. Following on from this I would really love to try some of the new hybrid i-device DAC/amps like the Sony PHA-1 or the CEntrance hifi M8 so I will try and get my hands on them.

Also I would like to try some full on portables like the Hifiman HM801, the iBasso DX100 or the Colorfly C4, fingers crossed I can find someone willing to lend me one. If I was going to get one myself right now I think I would get the Colorfly, anyone around here tried this one?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Quadpatch,

I had the Colorfly C4 for a while and couldnt get on with it.......really nice retro looking piece of kit..well put together and finished....with a slider for the volume control and the ability to play some Hi-Res files. It has headphone jacks for both large and small jacks and had no problem driving my HD650 at 300 ohm.

Unfortunately as I said I couldnt get on with it.......mainly because I found that when you dragged and dropped files it would sometimes throw the order of your songs out of sync and wouldnt list your albums alphabetically ( I am sure there were work arounds for this but to be honest to much off a bug bear for me). I also had problems with it not playing some 24/96 Khz files (especially if like me you have to convert them from one format to another - again probably not the Colorfly's fault, but the conversion software, but I did try three or four different programmes for this).

I also found it quite large in the hand..width wise. If you get the chance I would say give it a try but as things stand at the moment I am saving up for an iBasso DX100 (this can be extended to 160Gb with micro SDXC cards) and because it uses Android as the operating system will also allow the use of Spotify.

I am hoping that this will be a good solution to potentially replace my modified iPod and portable amp as a one box solution. Not any smaller, but will have a lot more functionality. It aso pairs well with the Heir IEM's apparantelly.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Jason!

Oh wow you had the C4? It sounds a bit of a fiddle to use, which is a shame. I guess the sound quality wasn't good enough for you to keep it? or were you purely put off by the usability?

The iBasso DX100 does seem like a great machine! Please let us know when you get your hands on that one wont you :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Morning Mate,

The sound quality was excellent, however I really struggle to hear the difference between CD quality Rips and Hi Res Music.....so to be honest for me I would say the Colorfly C4 sounded about the same, quality wise, as my modded iPod.

So with that, the bulky size and the problems I was having with the UI and transferring music I decided it wasnt for me.

What I would say however is that if you are looking for a DAP that will play Hi Res Music (and you already have that in the right format) and you dont have any other DAP then the Colorfy is a potentially excellent player...and a hell of a lot cheaper than the DX100 :shifty:

I have decided on the DX100 because I really want a player that is easily expandable memory wise, is potentially a one box solution (albeit probably about the same size overall as my ALO The National Amp & iPod combined) and has the ability to access Spotify (again at the moment if I want Spotify on the go then I use my iPod Touch with the ALO Amp).

I have heard that the Android based UI is a bit clunky on the DX100 and is prone to freezing, but I wont be happy until I have tried it for myself........its probably a couple of months off yet......as £599.00 is a bit steap price wise and I am still not sure whether I can warrant spending this much when I already have everything I need between my iPod / ALO amp and iPod Touch / iPhone (I have also bought a JDS Labs C241 portable amp for use with my Touch / iPhone)

I am torn at the moment between the DX100 and a pair of Custom IEM's :O

TRENDING THREADS