Forum upgrade - What do you want?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As we all know we have some "issues" with the forum software in its current state...

We are about to start work on the upgrade but before we do anything we need to know what you want to see happening in the forums.

You may have seen features in other forums that are great, (and inversely useless), and thought we could do with that, why doesn't that work etc etc. You lot use this forum more than any developers can and so know more about it than us, help us to help you.

Speak now or forever hold your avatar, (which will be fixed!)

A

Anonymous

Private messaging...
emotion-17.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:"My threads" - ie I can see only threads I've contributed to. cf dpreview.com (though admittedly that's proprietary software rather than out of the box).

Is that not the same as clicking on your profile name? (Although that does show posts rather than threads which is quite annoying at times.)

John Duncan

austinh7:which is quite annoying at times

QED. TBH I could probably live with what you suggest, if the option was still there to see all posts by me, but it disappeared in the upgrade. Is not a huge deal - at least search is back!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:austinh7:which is quite annoying at times

QED. TBH I could probably live with what you suggest, if the option was still there to see all posts by me, but it disappeared in the upgrade. Is not a huge deal - at least search is back!
emotion-2.gif

I will try and make this next sentence as simple as possible...

The original version of the forums was version 2007, the current version for long and painful reasons and after some rather "loud" discussions is 2005, we are going to up grade to 2008. Therefore we should get back all of the old features plus some new ones, (depending of course on what is wanted and requested.)

nads

My biggest issue is when you get to the bottom of a topic there is no go to top button, or what do you call it? this bit * whathifi.com * Forums * About the new site * Forum upgrade - What do you want? also that the formatting issues.................

A

Anonymous

nads:My biggest issue is when you get to the bottom of a topic there is no go to top button, or what do you call it? this bit
* whathifi.com * Forums * About the new site * Forum upgrade - What do you want?

also that the formatting issues.................

The bit with no name is called a bread crumb, you want a "return to top of page" link.

I'm a bit lost by " also that the formatting issues.............." though! Guessing you mean the formatting problem that some people have??

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
You currently get emoticons on some browsers (Firefox, Safari), but not on others, which is one of the bugs we plan to fix. Plus sorting out the registration problems some users are still having.

nads

Andy Clough:You currently get emoticons on some browsers (Firefox, Safari), but not on others, which is one of the bugs we plan to fix. Plus sorting out the registration problems some users are still having.

no you do not. ;)
and also no formatting etc......
with FF3,Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 and this should be on 3 lines abut will be one long text stream.

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Having the auto HTML formatting back would be nice when replying though it looks like the lack of this only affects some people. I don't get any advanced formatting functions on any browser. I do find manual formatting to be more reliable but sometimes forget to use it!.The only other this is probably just a glitch and will be sorted - when clicking on last reply it goes to the last reply & not the top of the page.Oh yeah unrelated to the forum the videos don't work on Firefox but that might just be my PC.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Messiah:Hi Andy,

I do use Firefox. Where are the emoticons??

Have you selected 'enable emoticons' in the Forums settings within 'My account' when you're logged on?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
A bigger signature. 256 is too small...especially if you are putting links in there. Lets have 1024 or 2048.

The searching could be improved. I think JD touched on this. I'd like to be able to search on posts I'd made or threads I'd posted to.

Other than that, keep it simple.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I think videos would be good.

Is there any way with the new software of incorporating an flv playing option? If not an incorporated player would it be possible to embed a swf into the html, with the flv running off my server?ÿ

A

Anonymous

russ74:
The only other this is probably just a glitch and will be sorted - when clicking on last reply it goes to the last reply & not the top of the page.

The link to the last reply should go to the last reply, it does what it says on the tin!

The formatting of posts issue is down to user preferences and is linked to the registration and sign up process. We have to integrate the site sign up with all of the other sites, (this is why you can use your whathifi.com user details for the other Haymarket sites.) This part of the application is being rebuilt from the ground up so we *should* get rid a lot of these problems and you can then get the choice of how to format your posts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts