Forum failures

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Is it me or is the forum falling to pieces technically? Yesterday I couldn't log in for ages, it just didn't work. It didn't say my name/password were wrong, I just ended back in the forum but not logged in. Today it took ages to get to this screen, I went to have my tea it was taking so long. Posts don't always get there or sometimes get there twice. It didn't used to be like this! Chris

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Have to say that I haven't had any issues, bar the odd 'site offline'. Sadly I'm not in a position to do anything about it.

Can't you remote - in. and take the power back?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Have to say that I haven't had any issues, bar the odd 'site offline'. Sadly I'm not in a position to do anything about it.

I get the 'site offline' but not very often. Quick page re-load sorts it for me.

In some ways, I preferred the old version of the forum, when I could simply insert a picture using
for example. AV forums' format is quite good. It even automatically converts a link into the webpage heading.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
It didn't used to be like this! Chris

Indeed. It used to be a lot worse.

Still a bit flaky but hey, no more so than us users.

It's free, it's (mostly) friendly, it's moderated and it's safe.

It's why, over the years, this has become the only site I remain a member of. I don't even read any other forums anymore. So I'm prepared to put up with a few technical glitches.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Covenanter said:
It didn't used to be like this! Chris

Indeed. It used to be a lot worse.

Still a bit flaky but hey, no more so than us users.

It's free, it's (mostly) friendly, it's moderated and it's safe.

It's why, over the years, this has become the only site I remain a member of. I don't even read any other forums anymore. So I'm prepared to put up with a few technical glitches.

That, and the great company, obvs.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Try disabling rich text. It works.

I've tried that but it still doesn't work on my Android phone.

bigboss said:
Got logged out when trying to post this, & couldn't log in despite 5-6 attempts on my iPad's safari browser! |( Using chrome now.)

This occasionally happens to me too. Sometimes the forum just logs me out for no apparent reason and won't let me log in again for a couple of minutes.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Posting is generally fine on nexus 7 and iPhone 5. I'm convinced the main problem is people clicking in the text box before the page is fully loaded. However, I have had the offline screen quite often recently and do get logged out quite often, tho I think only on the iPhone using safari.

Having said that, I'd much prefer if the standard forum format was used, that wouldn't change any of the positives chebby mentions.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I've only ever posted on 4 or 5 forums - this is easily the worst. Sometimes I try to log in but just get fed up waiting for the page to load and go and do something else, and I always copy the text before hitting preview/save too! Learnt that lesson very early on. I've never experienced such randomness, also the whole thing with the subject line being too long when it isn't - it's just nonsense really.

You'd think an organisation like What HiFi could do better.

At least there's some useful info here but it can get very tedious at times.

matthewpiano

I use Chrome (the best browser IMO) and I very rarely have problems.

I agree with Chebby's post. The pros far outweigh the cons and I too have tried other forums but the only one I've stuck to is this one.

People refer to 'an organisation like What HiFi', but like anything else, resources are limited and the forum is offered free of charge as a very useful and informative extension of the other website content and the magazine. None of the other UK magazines offer such a vibrant community area and, the odd difficult but usually passing member aside, this forum is as friendly and welcoming as they come.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The random 'logging out' problem (and yes, it happens to me too) occurs across all our sites, including Autocar and WhatCar?, so it's not specific to this site. I raise the issue (loudly) every time I talk to the tech team, who are apparently working on a fix.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
+1 to what Chebby and Matthew P say regarding the overwhelming vibe and ethos of these forums.

I read many other sites but rarely post anywhere but here. Notwithstanding a few days hiatus here and there (wedding, child rearing etc.), this site is part of my daily routine. Mostly browsing, occasionally posting.

Thanks to everyone who makes it so.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I've not had any problems with the forum, although i don't use any mobile devices, the only problem i do get is threads like this should have been posted in this section as this topic has nothing to do with hifi.

BenLaw said:
How's it working now with windows 8 BB?

Windows 8 in general or specific to the forum?

In general, Windows 8 is quite good actually. There are some bugs, like suddenly coming to home screen when I'm in contacts for example. Had some problems installing Windows Media Center; had to physically restart to get it going to the next step. Still learning something new everyday! :)

Specific to the forum, I rarely post through IE. If the text font looks different, I know it's about to disappear when I click "save". So I copy the text before submitting my post. Sure enough, my post disappears, & I get the message "comment field is required". I then simply paste it & submit it successfully.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I meant re the forum but thanks for the general update. I recall you'd said there were problems with w8 and the forum, sounds like it is at least possible. The different font thing is what I get when I've selected the text box too early, and is indeed when it fails to post. You've worked out the signs tho, I'm sure other regulars could too!

TRENDING THREADS