Forgotten music

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Having returned from a nocturnal foray into the loft on a vinyl hunt, I unpacked the Sainsbury's carrier bag containing familiar albums by Led Zep and Talking Heads and nestled unobtrusively amongst these was a forgotten gem. I'm limiting myself to twenty "vinyl recoveries" a week; in a bid to maintain domestic harmony and to carefully retrace a few steps from the last thirty years of purchases. The act feels partly archeological and partly addict rehabilitation. The forgotten gem? Ray by Frazier Chorus. Released in 1989 and despite, as I seem to recall, much Chart Show promotion, the release and re-release of two or three singles off it, it never gleaned much success. (A quick glance on e-bay reveals a few copies of this and follow up album, Sue, are available on CD, at various fairly high prices). The music is accessible jazz-tinged pop with a rather foreboding undercurrent and, to my ears, bridges the gap between the Kinks and Belle & Sebastian. The 80's period string synth production is fortunately off set by lovely clarinets ,flutes, trumpets and most unexpectedly and deliciously xylophones. Lyrically, it's (whisper it) a kind of concept album about a disintegrating relationship. The key though is the vocals. Tim Freeman, who wrote it all, conveys the bittersweet regret of withered time. Anyone else dig these hep cats? Or recommend other less-than-heralded-at the time classics worth investigating.

nads

anyone remember Belouis Some and his first album "Some People"?

Brings back memories of Nights out in Harrogate 19 years ago... Just waiting for the new turntable so i can decide if it is remembered through rose filtered ears or not!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
ÿFWIW been listening to Bebop Deluxe's Live! In the Air Age today...

[/quote]

It's not often the phrase, "Selby''s finest" can be appropriately used. Bill Nelson rocks. Sort of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts