For the What Hi-Fi team

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All, Have recently purchased a Panasonic TX-P42x10 Plasma TV and need to sort out a home cinema system for it (my old Thomson 32"CRT had Dolby Pro-logic audio built in.

I'd be happy with Dolby 5.1 as minimum, but i wanted to (if i can) replace my ageing Technics separates Hifi at the same time, but still maintaining my option to use it as a hi-fi ,and if possible connect external sources to it (A Turntable /tuner/Aux input would be lovely)

I know you used to be able to purchase AV recievers,but i've been out of the Hi-Fi market for years, so not sure what's available.I've got approx £500 to spend.

I'd prefer a system with speakers included,but would consider separates if you think i'd get a much better solution.

many Thanks

Andy

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Andy

Separates will give you better performance, so I'd look at something like the Onkyo TX-SR506 receiver (£250) with a set of Jamo A10HCS5 surround speakers. Have you got a DVD or Blu-ray player to go with the TV? Do bear in mind that any AV system will inevitably be something of a compromise when it comes to music replay.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy. Thanks for the advice. I just have an Alba dvd player at the moment, but am not going blue-ray yet,so will be looking for a standard DVD player soon as well.

I used to be really into my Hi-Fi separates years ago,but im' afraid the budget never stretched to my desires!

Don't really listen to the Hi-fi that much nowadays,but wanted something that coul be used for party's /evening listening occasionally

Does that change things??

Andy

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
What kind of budget do you have, would help us a great deal in helping your search. I would look at a 3.1 set-up start with something like the Sony str2400es at £430 add a good budget fronts and centre like the Q Acoustic 1030i floorstanders and 1010i centre This will give sound for movies and music, then you can add a sub and rears later for 5.1, or some Tannoy F4 Custom's and do the same. Ideally you need to add a stero amp for best results, and for occasionally the Sony should do the job.

TRENDING THREADS