Focal 906 or Totem Mite for this?

lorcar

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I am almost set to buy

Ampl Cambridge CX A 80 (or CX a 60)

CD: Cambridge CXC

For speakers the one I liked the most so far are Totem Mite and Focal 906, but didnt have the chance to listen back to back...

what would you expert suggest? I'd like also to throw in the choice the SOnus Faber Venere 2.0 but not able yet to listen

thanks in advance

Edmeister

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I only have experience with the Totem Mite and must say that they are amazing little speakers. I power them with a Rega Brio-R and I love the detail these mini's bring out. They work very well in small/medium sized living rooms and I think they sound best on stands and a bit away from the wall (they are rear ported!).

The only gripe I have is that they do not deliver that much extended bass, with their small driver (5.5 inch mid/woofer) and compact cabinet this is not a big surprise. It's a trade off you get with more mini-monitors.

The Focals do a bit better in the bass department. Have not heard the Sonos Fabers you mention.
You might want to give the Kef LS50's a spin if you go for the more powerfull CXA80.

lorcar said:
I am almost set to buy

For speakers the one I liked the most so far are Totem Mite and Focal 906, but didnt have the chance to listen back to back...

what would you expert suggest? I'd like also to throw in the choice the SOnus Faber Venere 2.0 but not able yet to listen

thanks in advance

Not heard the Mites but have the Arros. Superb. However, the review for the CX60 says careful partnering required, and as both Focals and Totems tend to have an enthusiastic presentation... the ideal match is all about synergy rather than review stars.

I would also explore other amps: Arcam A19 (works well with both speakers), Marantz Pearl Lite or any amp that doesn't promote fatigue.

rainsoothe

plastic penguin said:
lorcar said:
I am almost set to buy

?

thanks in advance

Not heard the Mites but have the Arros. Superb. However, the review for the CX60 says careful partnering required, and as both Focals and Totems tend to have an enthusiastic presentation... the ideal match is all about synergy rather than review stars.

I would also explore other amps: Arcam A19 (works well with both speakers), Marantz Pearl Lite or any amp that doesn't promote fatigue.

Actually the Focal Arias have pretty smooth highs, and they are not aggressive sounding speakers. The Cchorus range is indeed more forward, and the Electras can sound piercing in the highs with amplification that is extended and has emphasis on highs. Other speakers to test with the CA are tne sonus Fabers indeed, and also Dynaudio DM 2/7.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. I like smoother speakers with forward sounding amps...and vica versa

ie. If going with the CA kit - Spendor, Sonus Faber, Kef R Series, Harbeth

If going for Focal - Arcam, Abrahamsen, Electro, Croft, Analogue Audio, Sugden, Pathos.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I was very impressed by the sound of Aria 906 and relatively unmoved about the Mite. If you vant to be fair, I believe that comparing Mite to Aria 905 is more apropriate sizevise.

lorcar

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
and as both Focals and Totems tend to have an enthusiastic presentation... the ideal match is all about synergy rather than review stars.

thanks

what do you mean? are they not going to sing good with the Cambridge?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts