Focal 806V or B&W685 for Marantz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Very pleased with my latest purchase of the Marantz PM7001Ki, currently paired with the MABR2's. Acoustics and vocals sound great but lacks some bite, speed and depth on meater albums such as Rage Against the Machine, Chilli Pepper's, Leftfield, Global Underground, etc. In the main it handles most music really well, just feel it needs a little bit more.
emotion-1.gif

Both the Focal 806V and B&W 685 reviews have stated they've good bass and an exiting listen. Has anyone compared the two?

I have also consider the Mezzo 2's as these are Marantz's so called Strategic Alliance speaker company......

So many options. Just getting some views for the time being, obviously listening myself is the way forward.

Your views are appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone in the WHF team got any thoughts on this or the Mordaunt Short marantz combo????

A

Anonymous

I haven't listened to those models, but I used to own a JM Lab Cobalt 806 S, which was the previous equivalent to the Chorus 806V, and also the B&W 602. Both were good speakers. The JM Lab (GBP 600 approximately) was however more expensive than the B&W.

I can tell you that if you want dynamics, speed and punch, those French speakers are excellent. They shine in jazz, for instance. The down side is that treble is a bit agressive. If I can trust some reviews of the Chorus 806V, this characteristic remains in the new model.

I hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Not the 806V but, as Stereophile says the Focal 807V are very good speakers. Have a look at the review of the 807V on the Stereophile mag:

http://www.focal-reproduktory.cz/test/focal-chorus-807v-stereophile_11_07.pdf

And for the kind of music you listen, the B&W would be good to.

A

Anonymous

Thanks SMO, shall give the B&W's a go as well.

May try 603's. I see them fairly often on ebay. Spend the saved cash on more music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts