Floorstanding speakers have never before leaved me undecided!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Was looking to replace my dali zensor 3 with some floorstanding speakers (dali zensor 5 or 7 although i'd probably go for the 7s)

but today i looked on superfi and seen polk audio have some new products on the superfi website..the Polk TSx550 looks amazing, 2 5.25" midrange drivers and 2 8" woofers! they go down to 26hz too which is the same as the sub i was going to buy the dali ikon sub mk2. so if i was to get the polk speakers would there be any need for the sub? they go down to the same frequencies and the quad 8" drivers over both speakers surely would provide enough impact for a flat?

the polk speakers make me think about selling my zensor 3's AND my centre speaker to move to polk products as those speakers look amazing

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
the polk speakers make me think about selling my zensor 3's AND my centre speaker to move to polk products as those speakers look amazing

Before you make any rash decisions, make sure you listen to them......as well as look at them.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
yup. will ring superfi tomorrow maybe and see if they have them instore and able to demo them. i'll test both the polk and the zensor 7's see which i prefer. i might prefer the zensor 7's even though i like bass a lot and the polk would have more bass (i would of thought) and go way lower

VOE

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Being seduced by numbers is dangerous! I owned a huge set of seakers once with impressive wattage, diameter of bass drivers, number of cones in the array etc. They sounded atrocious. As others have said. You have to listen.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
5 way speakers at that price level I would be very wary of . Those drivers must be pretty cheap? Lots of large cheap drivers would not be for me. Also lots of bass in a flat may cause you problems, are your neighbours all deaf? But also too much bass is a major problem in many rooms.

I would try some 2 way Florstanders, if you want bass then try the Epos ones. They are about that price.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
KidKomet said:
What's your budget, room size and other equipment? Maybe we could throw a few suggestions your way.

my equipment is in my signature :p

room size is a medium size living room, but dont however have the measurements although the auto calibration measured me about 11.5ft away from my tv and speakers (which are at back against the wall and i am against the other wall facing it) so maybe 14 feet by 12 feet. my living room door is always open and pain to shut on the carpet and that door leads into hallway which leads into every other room (kitchen, bathroom and 2 bedrooms)

looking to spend around £800 ish although i can stretch a bit more if the speakers wowed me so much and they were good enough for me to not need a subwoofer (which would save me £700)

not bothered about bi-wirable speakers, speakers must be black to match everything else and not have spikes on the base as it'll ruin my carpet bad (didnt use the spikes for the soundstyle z2 stands i own)

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
In my opinion, the Polk just looks like a big brash unrefined and cheap AV speaker, and not helped by that huge port at the bottom. I would choose the Dali Zensor 7 anyday.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
KidKomet said:
What's your budget, room size and other equipment? Maybe we could throw a few suggestions your way.

room size is a medium size living room, but dont however have the measurements although the auto calibration measured me about 11.5ft away from my tv and speakers (which are at back against the wall and i am against the other wall facing it) so maybe 14 feet by 12 feet. my living room door is always open and pain to shut on the carpet and that door leads into hallway which leads into every other room (kitchen, bathroom and 2 bedrooms)

looking to spend around £800 ish although i can stretch a bit more if the speakers wowed me so much and they were good enough for me to not need a subwoofer (which would save me £700)

not bothered about bi-wirable speakers, speakers must be black to match everything else and not have spikes on the base as it'll ruin my carpet bad (didnt use the spikes for the soundstyle z2 stands i own)

Your room seems quite small for those size speakers, they often need some space around them otherwise they will be boomy.

Spikes should not ruin your carpet as they just go through them and the holes can be removed but depends on the spikes and carpet.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
nugget2014 said:
KidKomet said:

Your room seems quite small for those size speakers, they often need some space around them otherwise they will be boomy.

Spikes should not ruin your carpet as they just go through them and the holes can be removed but depends on the spikes and carpet.

what speakers are you referring to when you say my room is a bt small for them speakers, the polk, or floorstanders in general? either way i am really looking to invest in a pair. they look a lot better than my little bookshelves on stands which imo just dont look right. they have more bass impact which i like and more :) i'll ask superfi if i can home demo since richer sounds wont unless for a £100 fee

if i was to move away from dali and could choose any brand, what would you say about the monitor audio silver series floorstanders?

just thinking outside the box

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
looked at superi and richersounds (only places i will shop) and these are the only speakers i am considering really. the more the speakers are the less i have to put on a sub and that means expensive floorstander=no dali ikon sub mk2 :(

dali zensor 7

dali zensor 5

dali ikon 6 mk2 (like the look and description of these speakers very much)

monitor audio bronze bx6

monitor audio silver 6

jamo s628

whats the deal with the jamo? supposedly the only bass driver is the subwoofer, the rest are midrange drivers which seems rather weird. i'd still need to invest in a sub as they dont go terribly low.

rest of speakers look good, if anyone has any notable pros and cons of each or if any there i should stay away from it'd help, then i'd have a shortlist of what i need to demo.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Ecxellent magazines reviews , good specifications and impressive look can be very deceptive you must go and listen :exmark:

let your ears do decide what is the best option for you . IMO from the above speakers list you mentioned the Dali ikon 6 mk2

is the best choice , very musical speakers . very good value for money .

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i forgot to mention, curently i use my speakers 70% for movies 30% music. although very soon after internet is up and running once i can stream via airplay i will be using them for music more, so about 50/50%. so would the ikons be a good choice? since i am split half on what i do with them. it all depends on the demo, see if the difference is worth the extra £270 from the zensor 7s or even zensor 5's

also would i have to replace my centre speaker to the ikon if i got the ikon 6's? or would my current centre still sound OK with the ikons? because dishing out £450 for the ikon centre is a bit much also until i get more funds

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Your center is not bad at all no need to replace it . It's better do invest in integrated amp once you get more funds .Listenning to music

via receiver is not a good idea .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts