Floorstanding speakers - Dali vs. Wharfedale vs. Tannoy

MWSAH

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, although I registered quite a while ago. Consider this as a welcome post. I'm looking for a new stereo set-up for my new home which has a living room of 35 sq. meters. My budget for floorstanding speakers (which I prefer) is around 400-500 EUROS per speaker (300-400 GBP/420-520 USD). My amp will be the NAD D3020 or its more expensive brother. I narrowed my search to the following:- Dali Zensor 5 or 7- Wharfedale Diamond 230 or 240- Tannoy Revolution XT6F All three seem to get a lot of praise, especially the Tannoy and the Wharfedale here on What HiFi. Problem is, I can't really audition them. The nearest seller only has the Dali, I need to travel quite some time for the Wharfedale and the Tannoy. I'm looking for a bright sounding speaker, with good performance in all levels (high, mid and low). What would you suggest?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Your amplifier isn't very powerful but a floorstander is always to prefer. To make a story short do you like bass go for the XT8F if you don't care so much about bass go for the XT6F.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My vote goes for the tannoys anyday of the week but you need to listen for yourself as you cant rely on reviews as everyone has different ears.

Also best to test the amp with the speakers also

rainsoothe

Any particular reason for the NAD being mandatory? A Quad Vena might also do the trick, and, from what I understand, it's a bright-ish component. As for speakers, the new Tannoys seem to be very well recieved. With that budget, I would also seriously consider second hand Martin Logan Motion 20 - they are 4 ohm speakers, but 90 db sensitivity (so pretty easy to drive), and have a big and clear sound (not overlybright, but very detailed, and wonderful ribbon tweeter).

MWSAH

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Any particular reason for the NAD being mandatory? A Quad Vena might also do the trick, and, from what I understand, it's a bright-ish component. As for speakers, the new Tannoys seem to be very well recieved. With that budget, I would also seriously consider second hand Martin Logan Motion 20 - they are 4 ohm speakers, but 90 db sensitivity (so pretty easy to drive), and have a big and clear sound (not overlybright, but very detailed, and wonderful ribbon tweeter).

Thanks all for replying, some good advice here.

@rainsoothe: I prefer the NAD because of its digital and wireless connectivity + it has an integrated DAC. I know it lacks some power, so I might go for its brother, the D7050. I can't find many similar amps with this kind of connectivity who have more power, having my budget in mind.

rainsoothe

The Vena also has Bluetooth and DAC, that's why I suggested it in the first place :) Also 2 analogue ins, 1 pre out (for power amp or subwoofer), digital outs. I think only the D7050 can connect to LAN. Not sure though.

MWSAH

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
The Vena also has Bluetooth and DAC, that's why I suggested it in the first place :) Also 2 analogue ins, 1 pre out (for power amp or subwoofer), digital outs. I think only the D7050 can connect to LAN. Not sure though.

Hmm, wasn't aware of that. Will check it out, thanks.

MWSAH

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Didn't make my decision yet. Considering the Wharfedale Diamond 240 but I wonder if the NAD D3020 can power them. Recommended amp power is 25-150W according to Wharfedale. The 240's are 4 ohm with a sensitivity of 89db. I see a lot of praise for the D3020, which should be capable of powering the most difficult speakers at low ohms.

The D3020 has 30/wpc at 8 ohms. So two speakers at 4 ohms with 89db shouldn't be the problem, right?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MWSAH said:
Didn't make my decision yet. Considering the Wharfedale Diamond 240 but I wonder if the NAD D3020 can power them. Recommended amp power is 25-150W according to Wharfedale. The 240's are 4 ohm with a sensitivity of 89db. I see a lot of praise for the D3020, which should be capable of powering the most difficult speakers at low ohms.

The D3020 has 30/wpc at 8 ohms. So two speakers at 4 ohms with 89db shouldn't be the problem, right?

Wrong.

30wpc is a bit low IMO.

25wpc is the minimum recommended but you'll get much better results if you aim for at least 50-100wpc. Also remember that 4 Ohm speakers are harder to drive than 8 Ohm speakers so a more gutsy amplifier will be beneficial with those speakers.

MWSAH

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
MWSAH said:

Wrong.

30wpc is a bit low IMO.

25wpc is the minimum recommended but you'll get much better results if you aim for at least 50-100wpc. Also remember that 4 Ohm speakers are harder to drive than 8 Ohm speakers so a more gutsy amplifier will be beneficial with those speakers.

Allright, thanks. So a more powerful amp might be better. I came across an incredible deal combining the Marantz PM7005 with the Marantz NA6005 streamer. The PM7005 is more powerful, with 80/wpc at 4 ohm. Downside, I hardly see any reviews about this amp. Is it any good?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts