Floorstanders or Bookshelfers at £200-250?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well it's nearly Xmas so that means annoying gets like me bothering people like you!

I'm looking to get a Yamaha DSPAX763 for it's ability with both music and home cinema. I'm looking to start my surround sound speaker collection with a strong front line-up and am torn between floorstanders and bookshelfers at around the £250 mark. I wasn't really looking to spend much more than that though I'd be willing to go to £300 if it makes a world of difference. I'm weighing up the Mordaunt Short 914i's, Monitor Audio BR2's and Dali Lektor 1's, all at the £250 mark. I've seen tat What Hi-Fi has rated the 914i's at 5 stars but only the 914 review is in here.

Which would you plump for at this price, if not another? If I get bookshelfers, am I going to need a sub to make up for the lack of bass? If floorstanders have better bass are they typically weaker elsewhere besides compactness?

What are the benefits of speaker stands - purely for raising the speakers to ear height, or is there an aural boost from a good stand?

Thanks for any and all advice! 

T

the record spot

Consider also Mission M33i (a lot of speaker for the money according to WHF), and Hughes Direct in East Anglia has KEF iQ5SE for £199. Both worth considering as well as you current shortlist. You might also get some good used models for that kind of money.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree...

The Kef's at that price are a steal (even though i'm not a massive fan of them).

You could consider taking a look at some M/A BR2's on decent stands; they offer a superb soundstage and good bass weight.

If you want to go down the 2nd hand route you could consider the B&W 602 S3's on eBay; partnered with decent mass-loaded stands they offer a very good soundstage too with solid bass and a smooth midrange. They love to be driven hard and, IMO, can offer better bass weight than a majority of floor standers.

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi please give Wharfdale Diomond 9.1s a listen, 150 quid, stunning!My modest system, CA 540A VER 2, cA 540C vER 2 , p60 phono stage, Genie turntable, W/d Diamond 9.1. soundstyle Z60 stands, all 5 star products. Fantastic all for under a grand!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am quite a fan of the Kef's though they rarely impress immediately in a show room. I'd audition the iQ7 (not SE) which can be found for around £300. A lot of quality speaker for not a lot of money. They ultimately benefit from a good small sub too for wide band replay but are fine out of the box. Easy to drive and place.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

On standmount speakers, speaker stands make the world of difference, tightening the bass, reducing distortion, bringing greater clarity to the music.

At the price range you are talking about, MA BR2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts