Floorstanders for the new Rega Brio-r?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi and hello!

I am searching for some good advice on what floorstanders to use with the new Rega Brio-R integrated. I want floorstanders so that I don`t need a subwoofer to augment standmounts. Source is the Rega DAC.

I know Rega RS5s would be the usual match, but I find them not the prettiest of speakers and the missus likes waf-friendly stuff if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Room is 4 by 5 meters and opens into a identical room.

Budget is "budget" but pricy enough to harvest the performance the Brio can put out.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Rega Brio-R with the M/A BX5's and they worked together very well; source was a Rega Apollo and via the Rega DAC as well. I'd say the Acoustic Energy AE Neo 3's would work as well.

What's your budget though and what music do you generally listen to?

The Rega RS3's are brilliant little speakers and will work well with the Brio-R but they're not the last word in bass etc...

jakja83 said:
Hi and hello!

I am searching for some good advice on what floorstanders to use with the new Rega Brio-R integrated. I want floorstanders so that I don`t need a subwoofer to augment standmounts. Source is the Rega DAC.

I know Rega RS5s would be the usual match, but I find them not the prettiest of speakers and the missus likes waf-friendly stuff if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi jakja83

Just to get a clearer picture
smiley-smile.gif

Have you already got the Brio R and the Rega DAC? Did you audition them before you bought them? What speakers were used? Your thoughts/impressions of the speakers and the system/s as a whole?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system listen to?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room walls (brick, concrete etc.)?

Ceiling height?

Room positioning of the speakers (in relation to walls, corners, anything in between or either side of the speakers such as windows, cabinet, chimney breast etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Room floor (wooden, marble, concrete, carpeted etc.)?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Interconnect/s and speakers cables?

Any speakers which you already looked at?

Will you be auditioning before you buy?

What speakers have you got available to audition locally?

Speaker finish - any particular finish/finishes that the speakers must be available in?

Your overall budget?

What kind of presentation are you looking from the new speakers and the system as a whole to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Depending on the sort of sound you're after, you should take a look at Rega's own speakers, the KEF Q500 or Q700, Monitor Audio RX6, or Tannoy DC6T. Which of these will suit depends on your room, your preferences, and of course, their ability to mate up well with the Brio-R. Auditioning is the key.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jakja83 said:
...the missus likes waf-friendly stuff if possible.

Bearing that in mind, Monitor Audio RX6 (the natural wood finishes look superb). Something from the Castle Knight series (eg Castle Knight 3) that also have a good range of superb finishes and look excellent 'in the flesh'.

Other beautifully finished floorstanders in a range of real wood veneers are Quad's 21L2 and 22L2.

Totem Arros are very slender and would probably get approval from most people on aesthetic grounds. (Bit expensive though.)

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
jakja83 said:
Hi and hello!

Any help is appreciated.

Hi jakja83

smiley-smile.gif

Have you already got the Brio R and the Rega DAC? Did you audition them before you bought them? What speakers were used? Your thoughts/impressions of the speakers and the system/s as a whole?

I own the Rega DAC only, and I thought the Brio R would complement it and add synergy.

Anything from Norah Jones to Rock, Country,

Medium

Wood and organic materials and the likes...

Ceiling height?

260 cm.

Room positioning of the speakers (in relation to walls, corners, anything in between or either side of the speakers such as windows, cabinet, chimney breast etc.)?

I would say "optimal", no such issues.

That will have to be tested - it would vary between speakers. Around 2.4 meters usually.

Listening distance?

2.7 meters.

Low to medium. Never more than 85 dB. But it is nice to be able to crank it up twice a year without them falling apart.

Carpet, but may change it to wood in the future.

Nope.

Check.

Rega RS5, but I have extensive experience with other brands, but I am not able to audition Rega-speakers anywhere close and would have to buy without auditioning, the reason why I wanted to get some info here.

Unfortunatelly no.

Zero, but I have listened to a broad variety of speakers.

Speaker finish - any particular finish/finishes that the speakers must be available in?

Black, wood or gloss or matte.

Your overall budget?

Around 1500£, I can get RS5s for around 0.9K.

What kind of presentation are you looking from the new speakers and the system as a whole to reproduce?

Coherent, clear, with a good stereo image, good and natural vocal. detailed, tight tuneful bass. Not warm and "fuzzy". Pretty neutral.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ok, any ideas?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have been looking/listening to floorstanding speakers around your budget(MA rx and gs,Spendor, B&W,PMC. dynaudio, audiovector) and would consider looking at Proac studio 140mk2 but I do not know how they would work with your set up.

Have recently seen a comparison where the rega's were reviewed very well but with you on the looks.

Good luck

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I see. I have experience with MA RX and GS myself. I have listened to RX8s and find them very good, also GS20s are very nice stuff, but a bit bigger than what I had pictured. B&W and Dynaudio is a bit boring sonically I think. They are very good, but not what I am looking for.

I will investigate the Proacs further.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
The A5s are a bit too expensive, but I could keep a "lookout" on the second hand market.

Otherwise I have gotten a great offer on a pair of Tannoy DC4T Rev Signature, but I find a lot of mixed reviews of them and I feel they look a bit wimpy on paper and pics.

I am a believer in the old greek saying: There's no replacement for displacement....

A

Anonymous

I would again highly recommend demoing the Neat Motive 2's and the PMC GB1i's. Both superb speakers and worked very well with the lil Rega

Are the Rega RS5's definitely out of the running?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
jakja83 said:
...the missus likes waf-friendly stuff if possible.
How about the Triangle Color floorstander:

http://www.triangle-fr.com/en/color/

The bookshelf version has been reviewed favourably by both What Hi-Fi and Alan Sircom.

Their sensitivity (90db) and power handling (100W) should make them relatively easy to drive. The price of £899 is also within your budget. Maybe one to add to your audition list.

Good Luck

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jakja83 said:
Musiccraft?

He is probably still trying to compute your questionnaire responses. (It's difficult to recommend ATC - given your budget and your preference for floorstanders and the need to partner with a 50 wpc amp - so Rick's cogs are whirring
smiley-wink.gif
)

I predict Dynaudio DM 3/7s.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
jakja83 said:
Musiccraft?

He is probably still trying to compute your questionnaire responses. (It's difficult to recommend ATC - given your budget and your preference for floorstanders and the need to partner with a 50 wpc amp - so Rick's cogs are whirring
smiley-wink.gif
)

I predict Dynaudio DM 3/7s.
i reckon rick may reccomend the new MA gx series :)

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I have been searching through the market and I see I can get a pair of Kef IQ90s at 45% discount. The seem very easy to get rocking with 91dB sensitivity/8 ohm nominal impedance - would that be a good pairing? I generally like powerful floorstanders, but I am picky about clarity and openness and allergical to box coloration.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
They don't have them in stock - 1 month + delivery time. I don't like the looks of the RS5s all that much so I am biased.

The GB1is are too expensive, and there is a long waiting time to get stock there as well.

I will check out the neats...

jakja83 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
jakja83 said:
Hi and hello!

Any help is appreciated.

Hi jakja83

smiley-smile.gif

I own the Rega DAC only, and I thought the Brio R would complement it and add synergy.

Anything from Norah Jones to Rock, Country,

Medium

Wood and organic materials and the likes...

Ceiling height?

260 cm.

I would say "optimal", no such issues.

That will have to be tested - it would vary between speakers. Around 2.4 meters usually.

Listening distance?

2.7 meters.

Low to medium. Never more than 85 dB. But it is nice to be able to crank it up twice a year without them falling apart.

Carpet, but may change it to wood in the future.

Nope.

Check.

Rega RS5, but I have extensive experience with other brands, but I am not able to audition Rega-speakers anywhere close and would have to buy without auditioning, the reason why I wanted to get some info here.

Unfortunatelly no.

Zero, but I have listened to a broad variety of speakers.

Black, wood or gloss or matte.

Your overall budget?

Around 1500£, I can get RS5s for around 0.9K.

Coherent, clear, with a good stereo image, good and natural vocal. detailed, tight tuneful bass. Not warm and "fuzzy". Pretty neutral.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ok, any ideas?

Hi jakaja83

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry for not replying sooner as i just wanted to look at some options (particularly as you won't be auditioning).

Anyway Rega's RS5's are going to be the safest bet as they'll work well in your room, offer an excellent match with the Brio R/Rega DAC and ultimately help reproduce the kind of presentation you're after :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I have just returned from a little Rega "show" with about 10 people at a Rega shop. I got to hear the Rega RS1 with Regas new Brio-R connected to the Rega Saturn. It sounded fantastic. Then we switched over to the new Rega P1 and it still sounded great. We then also tried the Apollo with the Rega Dac and RS5 speakers. Somehow the sound got much better when I sat on the front row, or maybe it was because I had just had an Sommersby apple cider :p

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a Rega Brio 3 matched with Klipsch RF-62 IIs and they are an excellent match. You want speakers with high sensitivity and good deep bass. My Klipsch's are rated 97db sensitivity. I personally suggest Epos Epic 5 floorstanders as a lot people like them. Klipsch is good for pop, hip-hop, rap, and dance music.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok.

I have gotten a great offer on either the DC4T or DC6T floorstander from Tannoys Revolution Signature range. Would those be a "sound" choice for the Brio-r? Also over the RS5? I feel the aestethics of the RS5s leave a lot to be desired, but my primary goal is sound quality and musicality...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts