Floorstander vs bookshelf

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Opinions really

what is the expected difference between the same priced floor stander against a stand mount/bookshelf speaker?

the obvious difference is that a floor stander being bigger costs more in terms of materials but what is the sound comparison? I have monitor audio rx6 which were £800 what could I expect as a difference with £800 kef ls50'S?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
LEEMCCANN said:
Opinions really

what is the expected difference between the same priced floor stander against a stand mount/bookshelf speaker?

the obvious difference is that a floor stander being bigger costs more in terms of materials but what is the sound comparison? I have monitor audio rx6 which were £800 what could I expect as a difference with £800 kef ls50'S?

I haven't compared those two speakers, but you generally trade bass extension for refinement when going from a floorstander to a similarly priced monitor.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
logic states that a floorstander v bookself at the same price means the floorstander will have to have cheaper materials because it uses more of them for that given budget, as far as SQ is concerened the rules dont always apply, for instance I find the sound of the cheap tannoy V4 floorstander to wipe the floor with most bookshelfs I heard in the 200 to 250 pound price range, in most areas

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Depends really, I've always been a stand mount man but then again I've never had a big budget. Certainly under around £1,500 I wouldn't consider floors standers over stand mount.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that for £800 standmount speakers, you'll need to add £200 - £350 for the stands, so £800 standmounts and £800 floorstanders aren't really a like for like comparison.

Even though I currently have floorstanders (albeit petite ones - like RX6's that have been in the wash), I do like the precision, speed and rhythm that a good standmounted speaker can offer you. Much might depend on your choice of music as to how critical the loss of bass is to you, although that's not always a given. There are some standmounts that go down pretty low (KEF R300) and some floorstanders that are on the lean side.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
Don't forget that for £800 standmount speakers, you'll need to add £200 - £350 for the stands, so £800 standmounts and £800 floorstanders aren't really a like for like comparison.

Even though I currently have floorstanders (albeit petite ones - like RX6's that have been in the wash), I do like the precision, speed and rhythm that a good standmounted speaker can offer you. Much might depend on your choice of music as to how critical the loss of bass is to you, although that's not always a given. There are some standmounts that go down pretty low (KEF R300) and some floorstanders that are on the lean side.

Well my stands cost £45 new, so I don't agree with that, also you can get great used stands on ebay or other sites for around £30. As the cabinets are a lot money then it makes sense the other componets are cheaper and remember out of £800, the tax man gets about 20%, the dealer about 40% so the manufacturer only has about £400 to play with. I would not touch FS under £1,000.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
logic states that a floorstander v bookself at the same price means the floorstander will have to have cheaper materials because it uses more of them for that given budget, as far as SQ is concerened the rules dont always apply, for instance I find the sound of the cheap tannoy V4 floorstander to wipe the floor with most bookshelfs I heard in the 200 to 250 pound price range, in most areas

I'm sorry, but not sure I'd agree here. The V4's originally cost £380, but £250 now because they're about 3 years old, so I don't think it's fair to compare them with bookshelf speakers at that price. For £380 you could buy a bookshelf speaker like the Dali Zensor 3, with a tasty pair of stands, which are in a different class to the V4's, sound and build wise.

Like others have said, the money spent on producing a pair of speakers has to go somewhere. If it goes into bigger cabinets, then less will go into other components, which inevitably results in sound quality being compromised.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
gramps23 said:
Like others have said, the money spent on producing a pair of speakers has to go somewhere. If it goes into bigger cabinets, then less will go into other components, which inevitably results in sound quality being compromised.

Money spent on bigger cabinets is possibly also money spent on sound quality. You could even make an argument that it is the raison d'être of floorstanders, for if floorstanders don't sound better, then why be bothered with such speakers at all? (Note that this is just an argument to make a point, I'm not saying that floorstanders in general indeed sound better) Anyway, I feel that discussing such a thing without being precise about how much more a larger cabinet costs relative to the total costs of the product and the costs of other components, makes it difficult to make a plausible argument one way or the other.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Broner said:
gramps23 said:

Money spent on bigger cabinets is possibly also money spent on sound quality. You could even make an argument that it is the raison d'être of floorstanders, for if floorstanders don't sound better, then why be bothered with such speakers at all? (Note that this is just an argument to make a point, I'm not saying that floorstanders in general indeed sound better) Anyway, I feel that discussing such a thing without being precise about how much more a larger cabinet costs relative to the total costs of the product and the costs of other components, makes it difficult to make a plausible argument one way or the other.

Agreed.

It's all very subjective, and down to individual requirements - If you're after qualities like a more extended bass, higher SPL's and have a bigger room to fill, then floor standers are almost certainly the way to go. Conversely, if you like more precise imaging, high resolution and don't require party like SPL's, or live in a shoe box (like me), then bookshelf speakers are perfect!

Edit - I got the impression that, with this discussion, we were on the topic of similarly priced floorstanders vs bookshelf speakers, for some reason..?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
gramps23 said:
Broner said:
gramps23 said:

Agreed.

It's all very subjective, and down to individual requirements - If you're after qualities like a more extended bass, higher SPL's and have a bigger room to fill, then floor standers are almost certainly the way to go. Conversely, if you like more precise imaging, high resolution and don't require party like SPL's, or live in a shoe box (like me), then bookshelf speakers are perfect!

Edit - I got the impression that, with this discussion, we were on the topic of similarly priced floorstanders vs bookshelf speakers, for some reason..?

Right, there probably was a reason behind this topic :)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My floorstanders are the 1st I've owned & image like nothing else I've ever heard. I've also heard stand-mounted models with deeper bass, some cost 10x more than my Arros.

As for one versus the other, I'd personally avoid very cheap floorstanders. The only thing useful I can add is that the sound can be changed by different stands. I don't buy into the idea that standmounts give a better soundstage but less extended bass unless people mean at the budget end. Bass extension has more to do with driver design & cabinet volume than if stands are required or not.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
gramps23 said:
Johnno2 said:

I'm sorry, but not sure I'd agree here. The V4's originally cost £380, but £250 now because they're about 3 years old, so I don't think it's fair to compare them with bookshelf speakers at that price. For £380 you could buy a bookshelf speaker like the Dali Zensor 3, with a tasty pair of stands, which are in a different class to the V4's, sound and build wise.

I see your point ,but I doubt the Zensor3 is in a different class sound wise(superior) to the V4, they are a very capable budget floorstander speaker,and dispel the myth about budget floorstanders, they give the Zensor 5 a run for their money, not better, but not lesser, IMO, jut a different presentiation, I heard the Zensor 5 when I audtioned the V4,

I would like to hear the Zensor 3, but I suspect they will not give me the scale and depth in my listening room as the V4 do but I could be wrong. The budget standmounts I have had sound compressed to me (Tannoy MX2 was dissapointing, various Wharfdale daimonds as well) I own the 10.2 and rarley listen to them now, , ebay soon I think,

The only floorstanders I would avoid are the ultra cheap ones like Acoustic soloutions and Tibo etc Nasty and unrefined

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
busb said:
My floorstanders are the 1st I've owned & image like nothing else I've ever heard. I've also heard stand-mounted models with deeper bass, some cost 10x more than my Arros.

As for one versus the other, I'd personally avoid very cheap floorstanders. The only thing useful I can add is that the sound can be changed by different stands. I don't buy into the idea that standmounts give a better soundstage but less extended bass unless people mean at the budget end. Bass extension has more to do with driver design & cabinet volume than if stands are required or not.

Oooh. Very nice busb!

The Arro's are undoubtedly floorstanders (jolly nice ones), but have much in common with small bookshelf speakers, with tiny bass drivers and 3/4" tweeters, in what I guess is no more than an 8 litre box (when you've taken the bottom cavity out of the equation). With a price tag of ~£1100, you'd expect something so small to be well made and sound good, and they are very well made and sound gorgeous. For the money you could get a set of floorstanding, or even bookshelf speakers with much more bass etc, but I wouldn't. Infact, if I ever come across a pair second hand that I can afford, then I will be very tempted to buy them.

i've only ever had mission floorstanders and standmounts.

the floorstanders are 7 years old and i've loved every minute ive used them.

the standmounts just didn't do anything for me.

i'd guess you could class them as cheap as well, being only £300 new.

i don't know what kind of money i'd have to spend to better them.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Interesting post. Standmount here as my speakers are in corners. I need a lean, tight sound and I've always thought floorstanders would be a tad boomy and unbalanced due the cabinet size.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Floorstanders look nicer IMO.

Standmounts offer better value. Stands need cost no more than £100.

If you want seriously deep bass then standmounts and subwoofer is the way to go unless you can afford true full range floorstanders. And even then, a sub offers better flexibility, as the bass is separately adjustable.

IMO.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
[/quote]

I see your point ,but I doubt the Zensor3 is in a different class sound wise(superior) to the V4, they are a very capable budget floorstander speaker,and dispel the myth about budget floorstanders, they give the Zensor 5 a run for their money, not better, but not lesser, IMO, jut a different presentiation, I heard the Zensor 5 when I audtioned the V4,

I would like to hear the Zensor 3, but I suspect they will not give me the scale and depth in my listening room as the V4 do but I could be wrong. The budget standmounts I have had sound compressed to me (Tannoy MX2 was dissapointing, various Wharfdale daimonds as well) I own the 10.2 and rarley listen to them now, , ebay soon I think,

The only floorstanders I would avoid are the ultra cheap ones like Acoustic soloutions and Tibo etc Nasty and unrefined

[/quote]

I guess this maybe comes back to this 'subjective' thing, but, I found that the Zensor 3's were more enjoyable than the Tannoys. The bass didn't seem to be much less extended than the Tannoys, which surprised me, given their size, and it was more tunefull, faster and punchier. The mids and tops were more detailed and sweeter, leaving the Tannoys sounding like they had a bit of a cloud over them. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm getting another power amp to run in bridged mode, which won't work driving a 6ohm load, the Dali's would be sitting in my room now... I didn't give the Zensor 5's a listen, as they're out of my price range, but can't see that they'd be worse than the 3's. Who know's!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
gramps23 said:
busb said:

Oooh. Very nice busb!

The Arro's are undoubtedly floorstanders (jolly nice ones), but have much in common with small bookshelf speakers, with tiny bass drivers and 3/4" tweeters, in what I guess is no more than an 8 litre box (when you've taken the bottom cavity out of the equation). With a price tag of ~£1100, you'd expect something so small to be well made and sound good, and they are very well made and sound gorgeous. For the money you could get a set of floorstanding, or even bookshelf speakers with much more bass etc, but I wouldn't. Infact, if I ever come across a pair second hand that I can afford, then I will be very tempted to buy them.

Visitors are often struck by just how much bass my Arros push out - I would not have bought bass-light speakers! Could I get better (more extended or fuller) bass from different speakers? Of course - even from some stand-mounted ones. If I want better bass in my room, a pair of non-reflex speakers might push out more bass into my room, rather than to my neighbour's below! The Arros sell for up to £1k5 but are a fairly old design. I have not heard any other Totem models I like. If I had the money, I'd try the Ovator 400s.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
busb said:
gramps23 said:
busb said:

Oooh. Very nice busb!

Visitors are often struck by just how much bass my Arros push out - I would not have bought bass-light speakers! Could I get better (more extended or fuller) bass from different speakers? Of course - even from some stand-mounted ones. If I want better bass in my room, a pair of non-reflex speakers might push out more bass into my room, rather than to my neighbour's below! The Arros sell for up to £1k5 but are a fairly old design. I have not heard any other Totem models I like. If I had the money, I'd try the Ovator 400s.

Ah, guess I worded that slightly wrongly - they're not bass light, it's all very balanced, and the bass is very tuneful and tight, but they just don't go very loud, which is perfect for some listeners.

Wowsers, didn't realise they'd gone upto quite that much. I did see a mint pair for £600 a while back, which was a real bargain, but was skint at the time.. Heard some of their little standmounters a while back (before the Arros), pretty sure they had Dynaudio drivers, and they were very nice too.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
gramps23 said:
busb said:
gramps23 said:
busb said:

Oooh. Very nice busb!

Ah, guess I worded that slightly wrongly - they're not bass light, it's all very balanced, and the bass is very tuneful and tight, but they just don't go very loud, which is perfect for some listeners.

Wowsers, didn't realise they'd gone upto quite that much. I did see a mint pair for £600 a while back, which was a real bargain, but was skint at the time.. Heard some of their little standmounters a while back (before the Arros), pretty sure they had Dynaudio drivers, and they were very nice too.

No, they won't go as loud as some but like many speakers, driving them with a very good amp certainly helps. Where the Arros lack in sheer trouser flapping grunt, they make up in agility - the sound from them can make me jump then grin! Thjey are flawed like most speakers but Boy, are they fun to listen to! Their narrow profile also helps imaging. As for price, they can be over £2k for the gloss painted versions. They will be a very hard act to follow IME.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts