Floorstander.......blu tac.........Granite........blu tac..........woodenfloor

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Floorstander on it's own feet (i.e. spikes or the soft rubber domed feet designed for wooden/tiled floors); granite plinth then blu-tac to floor IMO

OR

Some of those felt pads/feet you get for dining chairs/tables so that they dont scratch stone/tiled/wooden floors. Those would work well under the granite as they wont mive a lot but also offer you the same principal as the blu-tac
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ok cool,

I just imagined spikes going straight onto granite would act like a giant tuning fork..

I used to hit my tuning fork then invert it and touch it to something solid to produce a nice auible sound.

?

A

Anonymous

Thats the downside of granite. You tap it and it rings. That means it vibrates and passes the vibrations through it. Still, it is better than nothing but not as good as slate (which produces a dull thud).

Well, thats my interpretation anyway.

Lee

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
Tescos kitchen granite chopping boards, they have small pads underneath.

Boards straight on to wood floor, speakers spiked sitting on Atacama spike shoes which also have a non slip base.

Solid, nothing moves and it improves bass and sound stage, recommended.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Im waiting on 2 pieces of Granite to be cut for under my speaker stands, 260mm x 300mm and 40mm thick.

I have that laminate wooden floor and it flexes a little, making it impossible to get the speaker stand steady.

Im going to put the granite either on a 2mm thick piece of rubber mat or directly onto the floor so it has the largest possible contact area to press the laminate flooring down flat.

Ill then cut another piece of rubber mat to sit on the Granite and place the speaker stand on that.

Ideally id like to bolt the base of the stand to the Granite but ill have to see if i can make it work. It will require drilling the granite for a start which wont be an easy task.

A

Anonymous

cheers dude this may be the way .....simple and effective

A

Anonymous

seasiders rock:

emotion-11.gif

Boards straight on to wood floor, speakers spiked sitting on Atacama spike shoes which also have a non slip base.

ok will do.......it will be like having two skyscrapers in the living room

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
seasiders rock:

emotion-11.gif

Would concur with that.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
brittondave:seasiders rock:

emotion-11.gif

ok will do.......it will be like having two skyscrapers in the living room

Forgot, the Tesco boards are the perfect size for the Dalis firing in a straight ahead position.
They look the biz to with the black polished granite underneath.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I picked up my 2 pieces of Granite today to place under my speaker stands.

I ended up using blutac under the 4 corners of each piece, then sat the rubber mat on top of the Granite. Then placed the speaker stand on it.

ztx5it.jpg

2crosv8.jpg

They have given a very worthwhile improvement to the sound. The Sound is more precise and focused and the bass more accurate and tuneful.
And at high volumes where i felt the bass was being eaten up by the floor, i now have powerful bass and the sound is cleaner at higher volume levels.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ear:gas pipe?..wires? electricity?

emotion-1.gif

Its perfectly safe. The gas pipe is sealed and so are the speaker/sub cables.

Its probably safer than whats under the floor in some houses, where mains cables run beside gas pipes.

A

Anonymous

The sheet of rubber matting is a top idea, shall be stealing that one and putting it into practice. Cheers.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
potboyslim:The sheet of rubber matting is a top idea, shall be stealing that one and putting it into practice. Cheers.

Yeah its brilliant! I got in in work. We used it for under an electric motor to stop vibrations. So i thought if it worked for that..........

My cd player has no vent holes in the top so i cut a sheet the size of the cd player lid and sat it on it to reduce any resonances etc.

A

Anonymous

I've got 3/4 inch slate from a stone masons under the cd, and a thin piece of granite cut to size on top. Means that the flowers in the nice vase can sit on top of it then.

Right, I am off to buy some rubber matting
emotion-2.gif

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Good idea with the slate beneath.

I think all the Arcam players benefit from this kind of treatment. There is a company in the UK who modify Arcam cd players and they place something on the inside of the player stuck to the lid so there is obviously gains to be had by doing so.

A

Anonymous

The slate only cost me a tenner, as I went to a place that makes stone, granite and slate fireplaces. He charged me the money to cut it to size, then bevel the edges, before polishing them. Looks cool, so got another one for my cd player in the lounge as well.

Stick some foculpods under the 4 corners, and you have a very solid isolation base for your kit, without paying a fortune!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Thats a good deal you got alright.

Im using squares of 12mm thick rubber compound mat under my equipment. It looks like cork, but made of rubber. I have the equipment sat on these rather than their own feet. Seems to do the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts