Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1/7.1 setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just ordered an Onkyo 705 to replace my ageing Sony AV receiver. I have a Sony satellites and sub package (5.1), a few years old, but still good IMO. Primarily I use it for DVD films (soon to be HD!) but I've never really been happy with rock/pop music.

The thought occurred that the 705 can do 7.1 (and matrix) so I could perhaps replace the front L/R speakers with floor standers and move the old satellite speakers back to make a 7.1 set-up (yes I know pure 7.1 is rare).

Being at work without access to the magazine
emotion-1.gif
and knowing nothing of floor standers or their prices, I've just gone to a website and seen the Accoustic Energy AEGIS Neo 3 for around £300, I guess that's about what I would be prepared to pay.

Does this idea appear to be sensible? If so, anybody got alternative suggestions for floor standers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Good choice, but to get the best balance and integration across the front soundstage I'd suggest you replace the centre speaker with the Mordaunt-Short 905i.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, how would you rate the M-S 900i series as a whole?

Am looking to partner them with a Denon AVR-3808 for primarily cinema but a bit of music too.

Cheers

Nic

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Good choice, but to get the best balance and integration across the front soundstage I'd suggest you replace the centre speaker with the Mordaunt-Short 905i.

[/quote]

Andrew, thanks for the recommendation, you must have psychic powers because that was my next question!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="wow400"]
Andrew, how would you rate the M-S 900i series as a whole?

Am looking to partner them with a Denon AVR-3808 for primarily cinema but a bit of music too.
[/quote]

Solid value, especially at the kind of discount prices at which they can be found at the moment. And if you don't already have the Denon, I'd strongly suggest a long hard listen to the Onkyp TX-SR875, too - as well as the great reviews it's had in the magazine, I've now been running one for many months, and think it's excellent.

A

Anonymous

Just bought a Mordaunt-Short 905i, thank you very much, it's brill.

TRENDING THREADS