Floor Standing Speaker Suggestions?

PadRock

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a pair of floor standing speakers for music to go with the following set up:

Marantz CD5003

Onkyo TX-NR807

PS3 (used for Blu-ray & music streaming)

KEF 2005.1 (what I currently use for music)

My budget is up to about £400-ish, but am also thinking of taking a look at what is on ebay! Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for what might be a good choice? As I've already mentioned, the main use will be for listening to music, but would it be possible or wise to incorporate good hifi floor standers into the surround sound set up?

Any help, suggestions or points in the right direction would be very much appreciated!!

T

the record spot

For secondhand, I'd totally recommend Mission 752s - expect to pay £100 or less for the original version, expect to pay around £1000 to improve on them. Fantastic speakers.

New, nothing at £400 to beat them, but Q Acoustics 3070s if you have the space, but bear in mind the treble can get a bit lively at the very higher end. Other than, great build quality, £370 for standard graphite finish, or £449 for gloss black or white.

This might be an issue for the 752s as well, as they have a mesh dome tweeter, so you need to bear that in mind. The combination with the Onkyo should be considered though and use a copper speaker cable as opposed to silver and ideally single core copper at that - see what the write-ups are for the sound quality; bright, warm, balanced, etc. and then decide.

Hello Guys,

I'm forever grateful for the wise words and consistent championing of the larger Q Acoustics loudspeakers by 'The Record Spot'. However, on this occasion I think he may have meant to recommend our 2050 model.
emotion-1.gif

very best regards,

Steve Reichert, PR Manager - Armour Home, (Q Acoustics)

T

the record spot

Woops! Indeed I did - hey, guys, it was late! Yep, the 2050 for £370.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
If you can go to £400, Dali Suite 2.8 floorstanders.+ £40 delivery.

Available from Sevenoaks Brighton branch, or on there E Bay shop.

Yes there discontinued, but still carry a 5 year warranty .

Supurb finish, 4 ohm but easy to drive, they were a £1000 speaker and they sound it.

Straight to the bottom of the page they blow whats available at that price point clear out of the water.
emotion-21.gif

T

the record spot

Great speakers no doubt, but with the partnering equipment...? Just a thought really, great VFM.

I see that The Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh have the Dali Ikon 5s for £599 off circa £1k. I think these were the speakers I audtioned the Harman HK990 and the Leema Pulse with recently. Very respectable speakers.

PadRock

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions ... I'll take a look around!

Would they be suitable for home cinema use at all, or would they be far too over bearing for the my existing Kef centre speaker?

TRENDING THREADS