Floor speakers with new Nait 5i & CD5i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is similar to a previous post who wanted advice on speakers to go with Nait 5i and CD5i.

I have also decided to purchasing the Nait 5i and CD5i and I am unsure what speaker to accompany them.

I prefer floor standing and considered the Dali Ikon 6 (but they are on the large side and have to be set away from a wall) the Tannoy DC6T and the Neat Motive 2. The room is about 9M x 5m and I listen to Jazz and classical, both include the human voice.

Can any one offer advice please

Mrs Frith

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That is a big room and the nait is not a very powerful amplifier. Couple that with so so bass (not the tightly controlled sort) and you may run into difficulty unless the speaker is very efficient and has well damped bass. Rega's R5 is such a speaker but if you like to listen to your symphonies at 'realistic' levels ever so often, you probably find the Nait hardens up and starts to grate seriously with them. Imo it (Nait) is better with smaller speakers in smaller rooms.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
May I add ... for such a big room, I'd be inclined to save a little and choose the supernait if you insist on Naim. It has an in-built DAC too so you can use any cd/dvd player as transport. This will give you more options as to larger speakers, PMC are just one to check out. Bear also in mind the Nait has no pre-outs so you wont be able to add to it if you find it is lacking power.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
If you like the Ikon 6, and think they are overlarge, try the Ikon 5. I home demo'd both and for me it was a close run thing. The Ikon 5 hasn't quite got the depth, but I found it a beautifully detailed, and superbly fast speaker. It is slightly lower sensitivity, but I found it was easier to drive too.

I would agree to get a more beefy amp in such a room also. I am running Ikon 6 now, and felt the need to upgrade my Arcam A80 (60 wpc) as it wouldn't drive the Ikons cleanly to levels I wanted.
(I ended up with a 200 wpc Lyngdorf!)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the Dali Ikon 6 too and they are quite sensitive, ie you shouldn't have a problem with volume even from a low powered amp like the Naim. For what it's worth mine are 30-40 cm from the wall and they sound great, no bass boom and very clean, transparent, involving musicwith good separation of instruments. they may also work well with the Naims as they aren't too forward so system matching may be good - they are quite a mellow speaker in my opinion (certainly compared to my ProAc Tablettes which are more dancy).

ÿ

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
I have the Dali Ikon 6 too and they are quite sensitive, ie you shouldn't have a problem with volume even from a low powered amp like the Naim. For what it's worth mine are 30-40 cm from the wall and they sound great, no bass boom and very clean, transparent, involving musicwith good separation of instruments. they may also work well with the Naims as they aren't too forward so system matching may be good - they are quite a mellow speaker in my opinion (certainly compared to my ProAc Tablettes which are more dancy).

ÿ

But you are bi-amping, which eases the work the amp needs to do (which imo is one of the factors in why it works so well).

Also, a position too close to a wall slightly overblows the bass (imo), and in such a big room I would imagine more power is definitely needed (or a different speaker). They may be reasonably sensitive, but as I mentioned, I found them harder to drive than the Ikon 5's which were less so... (volume may be higher at a given amp setting, but I was hearing distortion earlier)... no such problems with my current amp... ;)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:JoelSim:

ÿ

But you are bi-amping, which eases the work the amp needs to do (which imo is one of the factors in why it works so well).Also, a position too close to a wall slightly overblows the bass (imo), and in such a big room I would imagine more power is definitely needed (or a different speaker). They may be reasonably sensitive, but as I mentioned, I found them harder to drive than the Ikon 5's which were less so... (volume may be higher at a given amp setting, but I was hearing distortion earlier)... no such problems with my current amp... ;)

ÿ

I'm not sure that biamping makes a huge difference as the integrated driver the tweeters and the bass is power amped, so I don;t think it's any more power in reality. Mind you it's a while since I did my Physics A level...

It is perfectly loud enough for my liking anyway, perhaps not up there with Space in Ibiza, or Turnmills but it works pretty well for home listening inclding filling the garden with sound.

ÿ

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Naim and Dali? I guess the combo could be brighter than Brighton! don't take my word for it though as I never heard them together.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:fr0g:JoelSim:

ÿ

But you are bi-amping, which eases the work the amp needs to do (which imo is one of the factors in why it works so well).Also, a position too close to a wall slightly overblows the bass (imo), and in such a big room I would imagine more power is definitely needed (or a different speaker). They may be reasonably sensitive, but as I mentioned, I found them harder to drive than the Ikon 5's which were less so... (volume may be higher at a given amp setting, but I was hearing distortion earlier)... no such problems with my current amp... ;)

ÿ

I'm not sure that biamping makes a huge difference as the integrated driver the tweeters and the bass is power amped, so I don;t think it's any more power in reality. Mind you it's a while since I did my Physics A level...

It is perfectly loud enough for my liking anyway, perhaps not up there with Space in Ibiza, or Turnmills but it works pretty well for home listening inclding filling the garden with sound.

ÿ

You have one amp driving the 4 tweeters, and one driving the mid/bass, so even if the overall power available isn't hugely improved, the ease of drive certainly will be...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Amphion Ion are great but floorstandeers they are not!

The Xenon mk 2 I had match with SuperNait like a dream. ah How I miss them Amphion...
emotion-50.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry was speaking from memory, I meant Amphion Prio 520. Have you heard the Prio ?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Agree about the amphion Xenons! superb with most systems but out of this worl with naim, and My current amp the Pathos. So it works well with any quality amp.

I am selling a mint pair of Mk 1's in maple. Cost £2800 new am looking £1200

Cheers

Ron

A

Anonymous

Used to pair Nait5i & CD5i with Spendor S6. Sound pretty good.

A

Anonymous

The Neat Motive's would be a great partner for your Naim combo (IMO).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts