Flac vs Apple Lossless Alac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I Was always favorable of iTunes ALAC (Lossless) since their format stores all the info needed for complete artist/cd/folder structure when converting back to wav when working with redbook cds at 44.1khz-16bit.

But, the wav encoder is limited to 16bit, so if you use iTunes Lossless for a 96khz-24bit audio file and then convert it back to wav you will now have a 96khz-16bit wav file, a 98mb wav is now a 65mb wav, that is not lossless!
I wonder how many people have converted files this way and are unaware.

Why the limitation with iTunes, anyone?

A

Anonymous

Chokobolt:Just use AIFF or WAV :D

Those are not lossless audio compression formats, FLAC works as true lossless with any format, similar to MLP, and that does not answer the question...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Why do you want to convert flac to smth and then to wav?
I rip CDs in ALAC and play from ALAC.
If I have a FLAC 24/96 file I convert to ALAC using Max and the result is a 96khz file that is lossless - or at least I beleive so - and has all the metadata.
Why do you need wav?

A

Anonymous

I want to convert wav to lossless, just like everybody else. I prefer apple, but it's limited to 16bit files. You say you use Max, what is that and have you checked what the bit rate of the 96khz-24bit file was after converting it back to wav from apple lossless?

If you go into iTunes wav encoder settings the highest setting is 16bit.

A

Anonymous

When you convert back to wav with flac none of the folder structures are saved, is anyone out there that knows what's going on?
I thought this forum was listed as "Ask the Experts", yeah right...

TRENDING THREADS