First Time Buyer - Anything Missing?

DeathCab4Sam

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Putting together my first turntable set-up.

So far I've ordered:

Project Debut Carbon

Rega Phono Mini 2AD

I understand you still need to install the counterweight and set VTF, will I be able to do this without the help of a digital gauge?

Got myself an IKEA Expedit to put it on (a vinyl collector must have invented these)

A Milty Exstatic to clean.

Are there any other accessories I need to get me started? Any beginners tips I will find invaluable as I start my vinyl journey?

Thanks

Sam

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Alcohol & vinyl are meant for each other!!!

Drinking and playing records loud is regular occurrence in this house....surprised the neighbours haven't complained to be honest as the more I drink the further towards 12 o clock that volume knob goes!!

enjoy it! On my 2nd TT in 6 months! It's soo much fun going record shopping! I've been after an 80s lp for months and I found it - was so excited - got it home and it sounded absolutely fantastic and only cost me £2 btw it was Latin Quarter - Modern Times - fantastic lyrics/music

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DeathCab4Sam said:
Hi,

Putting together my first turntable set-up.

So far I've ordered:

Project Debut Carbon

Rega Phono Mini 2AD

I understand you still need to install the counterweight and set VTF, will I be able to do this without the help of a digital gauge?

Got myself an IKEA Expedit to put it on (a vinyl collector must have invented these)

A Milty Exstatic to clean.

Are there any other accessories I need to get me started? Any beginners tips I will find invaluable as I start my vinyl journey?

Thanks

Sam

A good record cleaning device. Like a few on these boards I use the Knosti Disco Anti-Stat, but make up my own cheap-o solution to "wash" LPs.

As for vinyl and alcohol, I've mostly had good experiences of combining the two. Highly recommended as Steve suggests.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Alcohol & vinyl are meant for each other!!!

Drinking and playing records loud is regular occurrence in this house....surprised the neighbours haven't complained to be honest as the more I drink the further towards 12 o clock that volume knob goes!!

enjoy it! On my 2nd TT in 6 months! It's soo much fun going record shopping! I've been after an 80s lp for months and I found it - was so excited - got it home and it sounded absolutely fantastic and only cost me £2 btw it was Latin Quarter - Modern Times - fantastic lyrics/music

They haven't complained because you have those little RS1, if you have my Dyns excite x12 they did already... :rofl:

Sorry steve just playing a little... ;)

But alcool and vinyl in my place get along because my wife drink less then me...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
do not under estimate the RS1 they can go pretty loud
smiley-cool.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
If you've not already seen it, on the Superfi website if you look under the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon there's a short video outlining how to set up your new turntable. It looks dead simple compared to some set-ups.

DeathCab4Sam

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

Got it all set up now. Although I'm likely to fine tune bits as time goes by.

Not a big drinker so that part shouldn't be a problem.

I discovered I needed another set of cables as phono didn't have any so ordered a metre of atlas element integras.

Got it connected to a Cyrus stack and celestion a3's.

First record I put on was José González - Veneer and I'm in heaven. Can't wait to listen to all my other new records on it :D

I currently have it and the amp pluged into an extension cable into a wall socket.

Is this another area where I have to spend money?

TRENDING THREADS